PDA

View Full Version : Saving recorded movies to Xbox 360

chucknorris666
03-06-13, 13:47
Hey guys as the title says is this possible, also will the Xbox recognise the file as a movie file to play back at a later date?? If not what needs to be done to get the Xbox to recognise the file as a movie? I'm using vix 3.0 build 669 (I think) vu solo 2

chucknorris666
03-06-13, 17:57
Also is it possible to stream live tv from my vu to Xbox 360 in another room?

chucknorris666
03-06-13, 21:07
I take it by no reply this is impossible?? or a very stupid question?? :) lol

s31teg
03-06-13, 21:40
Just extract a movie and see if it plays. I know you can stream to play station.

chucknorris666
03-06-13, 22:16
Thanks will give this a go see if it plays. I doubt it will without converting the file on my laptop first :( so as for streaming anyone ever got this working on 360 if so do you set it up the same way as you set up to stream to pc

Larry-G
04-06-13, 00:52
I take it by no reply this is impossible?? or a very stupid question?? :) lol

or more likely that no one who can help has seen this thread yet, some times you just have to be patient and wait for some one to reply.

zappahey
04-06-13, 10:05
I looked at this a while ago and the Xbox is very limited in the file formats that it supports so I don't think you'll have any success in playback.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Larry-G
04-06-13, 18:51
if i remember correctly the xbox can not read .TS files ( this is the format that your receiver saves recordings as ), you would need to re-encode them to a more standard format such as a .AVI.

pooface
04-06-13, 19:04
From what I remember, they are very fussy on the formats that they play. Even some wmv formats cannot play correctly (well, when I tried ages ago, but I haven't tried, as don't use it for watching videos...

Larry-G
04-06-13, 19:09
I used to have my N.A.S synced up to my 360 and most of the AVI's on that worked fine but not all.

abu baniaz
04-06-13, 19:41
Have we considered that .ts files are very big. This effectively prohibits saving files to the 360.

It would be better to save to a networked resource. This could even be the receiver's HDD. Hopefully someone can elaborate on which addons need to be installed on the receiver.

In any case, compressing files is a worthwhile exercise. Makes sense to use a codec that is used by as many devices as possible.

chucknorris666
04-06-13, 21:07
I extracted a HD movie onto my USB stick today just to see if it played. (It did not even recognise the file) just as thought..

What will be the best file format to convert a few too that will play?

Also I know this is time consuming converting large files like this so can anyone recommend a decent converter? I currently have winavi.

Also what about streaming live tv to the Xbox is this at all possible thro Xbmc?

Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:12
I'm not sure if the xbox supports .MKV files but you could try using handbreak to convert to a .mkv and see if that plays.

zappahey
04-06-13, 21:15
What will be the best file format to convert a few too that will play?

Wmv is the most likely to work.

Also what about streaming live tv to the Xbox is this at all possible thro Xbmc?

Don't think you can get xbmc for the Xbox 360 but the original Xbox will quite happily stream SD channels from an enigma box using xbmc.

chucknorris666
04-06-13, 21:58
Wmv is the most likely to work.

Don't think you can get xbmc for the Xbox 360 but the original Xbox will quite happily stream SD channels from an enigma box using xbmc.

Thanks I will try a few file formats.

Has the 360 not got Xbmc ? I thought it did?

What would need to be set up on the vu so as the 360 can see it on the network?

zappahey
05-06-13, 08:03
Thanks I will try a few file formats.

Has the 360 not got Xbmc ? I thought it did?

What would need to be set up on the vu so as the 360 can see it on the network?

Really, there's no point. The only practical way to play media on the 360 is to set up some sort of dlna server with transcoding or use it as a windows media extender.

chucknorris666
05-06-13, 09:13
Only reason in wanting to try and save some of my recorded movies is to free up space on my solo2, I have 1tb hdd and its nearly full, lol. Where I have 500gb space on my 360 not being used.

As for streaming live tv, I ain't too fussed about this as was just wondering if it was possible, if so the kids could use it to watch tv in there room on there own Xbox save me buying another sat box for them.