PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what to do with.....?

Mr. Mister
02-06-13, 00:38
Hi guys..

Anyone know what to do with an iphone with water damage.. ??

Had a few friends around this evening for a bbq.. Well.. 14.. and beer flowing..

A few ended up in the hot tub.. and one of my mates lifted my phone from the table to throw it to me as it was ringing..

It did not reach me.. and ended up in the bottom of my hot-tub..

It was obviously on at the time.. as it was ringing.. was only in the water a few seconds.. But its dead.. I did NOT try to turn it on.. I just removed sim..

Anyone know what to do with it.. ?? as the last back up on itunes was made a few months ago.. and really need to retrive my phone number from it..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks

cypchris
02-06-13, 00:51
take it back to apple and they should exchange it for £120

Mr. Mister
02-06-13, 00:53
Thanks for reply Chris..

I think id rather go for a Galaxy S4 than give them 120 quid..

Im not worried about my phone.. Im worried about my 600 -700 contacts.. and how to get them back..

cypchris
02-06-13, 00:55
are they not synced to i cloud ?

Mr. Mister
02-06-13, 01:04
I never used icloud as it was supposed to have security issues..

drx360
02-06-13, 02:53
Hi guys..

Anyone know what to do with an iphone with water damage.. ??

Had a few friends around this evening for a bbq.. Well.. 14.. and beer flowing..

A few ended up in the hot tub.. and one of my mates lifted my phone from the table to throw it to me as it was ringing..

It did not reach me.. and ended up in the bottom of my hot-tub..

It was obviously on at the time.. as it was ringing.. was only in the water a few seconds.. But its dead.. I did NOT try to turn it on.. I just removed sim..

Anyone know what to do with it.. ?? as the last back up on itunes was made a few months ago.. and really need to retrive my phone number from it..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks

strip it and take it apart, take the logic board and get a tooth brush and some petrol and clean it gently for about 5 mins let it dry completley very important for about 30-45 mins then put it all back together and power up, the petrol removes moisture, residue and corrosion from connectors and components that will appear after a dunking, if your really lucky it will just fire right back up no probs if you are unlucky you will have blown the backlight as thats usually the 1st thing that goes pop when they hit water and that will need replacing.

TK4|2|1
02-06-13, 06:38
Take the back off and put the whole thing in a bag of rice for a month or two.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

Larry-G
02-06-13, 07:44
First of all lets get this misconception out of the way about water damage.

it's not the water that damages the phone but the impurities in the water such as salt, sugar, chlorine etc etc etc.

now if it were any other phone you may have had a better chance by removing the battery the instant you realized it had been submerged in liquid as that would have given you a far better chance of recovery but as were talking papple ( misspelling was intentional ) you of course can not.

First thing ignore the advice about using petrol as thats got too many impurities in it and will cause more damage, use a medicinal white spirit you can get it from the chemist. the rest of the advice given it pretty much ok ( it's been a long time since i gave up repairing and unlocking phones but i used to use a small sonic bath the kind used to clean contact lenses and clean de-ionized water for a few minutes before using the white spirit )..

any hoo if those are not to hand, Gently clean the board with a soft tooth brush and a small amount of white spirit, DO NOT apply too much pressure as you will cause damage if you do, once you have spent a few minutes doing this i'd either wrap it in a lint free cloth or towel and place in a warm dry place such as a airing cupboard for the day or just bung it in a bowl of rice for a day or so to draw out any remaining traces of moisture. DO NOT place on top of a radiator or near any sources of heat.

hopefully you can get it working but if the battery has been connected all this time i fear it would have caused serious damage.

drx360
02-06-13, 08:29
First thing ignore the advice about using petrol as thats got too many impurities in it and will cause more damage, use a medicinal white spirit you can get it from the chemist. the rest of the advice given it pretty much ok ( it's been a long time since i gave up repairing and unlocking phones but i used to use a small sonic bath the kind used to clean contact lenses and clean de-ionized water for a few minutes before using the white spirit )..

Pheonix simply not true it will not cause any damage ive been repairing iphones for around 4 years and have bought many a crusty water damaged board back to life using this method which i got from a chap whos been an electronics engineer for over 20 years.

Larry-G
02-06-13, 08:32
Pheonix simply not true it will not cause any damage ive been repairing iphones for around 4 years and have bought many a crusty water damaged board back to life using this method which i got from a chap whos been an electronics engineer for over 20 years.

I repaired and unlocked phones for well over 10 years mate, i'm telling you petrol is full of impurities that can and will cause damage to electronics, use a medicinal white spirit instead for far better results.

drx360
02-06-13, 08:44
I repaired and unlocked phones for well over 10 years mate, i'm telling you petrol is full of impurities that can and will cause damage to electronics, use a medicinal white spirit instead for far better results.
The guy who told me about this is a 20 years experienced electronics engineer hes hardly going to give bad info like that.

Larry-G
02-06-13, 08:48
I suppose that depends on where you get the petrol from but I stand by my above advice and i personally would never consider using bog standard petrol to clean or repair electronics, medicinal white spirit is clean of impurities and perfectly fine for use with electronics.

drx360
02-06-13, 08:55
I suppose that depends on where you get the petrol from but I stand by my above advice and i personally would never consider using bog standard petrol to clean or repair electronics, medicinal white spirit is clean of impurities and perfectly fine for use with electronics.

so is Isopropyl which is what i used to use on the logic boards but that could never shift oxidization it simply wasnt strong enough ,sometimes they would fire back up sometimes they woudnt, then i spoke to a friend of mine about it he said "try this", 1st thing i said "are you nuts?" so i did and blow me 99% of the boards work 1st time after a 5 min clean with petrol

Larry-G
02-06-13, 09:05
as i said i suppose it depends on where you get the petrol from in the first place. and as i first posted i used to use a sonic bath to remove residue etc. you just have to put some petrol in a glass bottle to see the filth floating around in there hence why your car if it's a petrol has a filter otherwise it would be dead in a matter of weeks.

drx360
02-06-13, 09:09
i do drop the boards in a bath of iso afterwards i did forget to mention that, but i always clean 1st with petrol and have a way higher success rate in bringing them back to life each to there own i guess, but it 100% works.

garyblas
02-06-13, 09:47
i do drop the boards in a bath of iso afterwards i did forget to mention that, but i always clean 1st with petrol and have a way higher success rate in bringing them back to life each to there own i guess, but it 100% works.

I am an electronics engineer with over 20 years experience. I personally would not clean with petrol as phoenix states it is full of impurities and i can tell you it is very agressive and will in time destroy the electronic circuit . Cleaning with ISO is a far better method and industry approved.

The phones you have repaired using petrol id be interested whether they keep working after say 3 months..

pooface
02-06-13, 09:52
I know this is a bit of a thread jack, but since it's in a similar vein...

I have a galaxy s2, which I dropped in a water bath. Nothing at all in the water at the time (just plain water from tap). I immediately removed the battery. Took it apart, and in a bag of rice in airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. Then, put it all together again, and tried it. Worked fine. But then, over the next couple of days, the screen started getting a purple tint to it, and then started turning whiter in colour, and then just completely stopped working...

The rest of the phone seems to work fine... I can turn it on, can see it working by using some software to connect to the phone over usb. Mic, speakers, earpiece all seem to work fine...

Do you reckon that if I get a replacement LCD Screen + Digitizer, and clean the main board in isopropelyne, it would work ok? It's been stored in a cupboard for the past year or so, but thinking I can replace the screen and give it to the missus to use if can replace for about £60... But, would it work in a long term fix you reckon? Is it work cleaning the main board after all this time, or would that cause more damage?

Cheers (not sure whether to move to it's own thread, or leave here as might give some insight to fixing the iPhone...)

Larry-G
02-06-13, 10:02

I have a galaxy s2, which I dropped in a water bath. Nothing at all in the water at the time (just plain water from tap). I immediately removed the battery. Took it apart, and in a bag of rice in airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. Then, put it all together again, and tried it. Worked fine. But then, over the next couple of days, the screen started getting a purple tint to it, and then started turning whiter in colour, and then just completely stopped working...

The rest of the phone seems to work fine... I can turn it on, can see it working by using some software to connect to the phone over usb. Mic, speakers, earpiece all seem to work fine...

Do you reckon that if I get a replacement LCD Screen + Digitizer, and clean the main board in isopropelyne, it would work ok? It's been stored in a cupboard for the past year or so, but thinking I can replace the screen and give it to the missus to use if can replace for about £60... But, would it work in a long term fix you reckon? Is it work cleaning the main board after all this time, or would that cause more damage?

Cheers (not sure whether to move to it's own thread, or leave here as might give some insight to fixing the iPhone...)

although the water was clean the chlorine added to it at the water company's end is the bit that electronics dont tend to get along too well with and likely whats done the damage here, i would still give it a light clean with white spirit just to be safe and it's worth trying a new digitizer and LCD as there relatively cheep. The main thing here that likely saved the phone from long term damage was that you instantly removed the battery.

garyblas
02-06-13, 10:03
If everything working apart from screen tinting / clouding i would try changing screen should cost £20-£30 . As for cleaning would not do any harm using isoprop but remember to let it air dry for at least 10 mins before powering back on.

drx360
02-06-13, 10:04

without looking at it i would say lcd has gone if the rest of the phone is still working, you might not even need to clean the board, replace the lcd not sure if they are sep from digitizer on s2's without checking(as i only work on iphones) and take it from there.

drx360
02-06-13, 10:08
I am an electronics engineer with over 20 years experience. I personally would not clean with petrol as phoenix states it is full of impurities and i can tell you it is very agressive and will in time destroy the electronic circuit . Cleaning with ISO is a far better method and industry approved.

The phones you have repaired using petrol id be interested whether they keep working after say 3 months..

they have all worked fine mate, no problems. cleaned with petrol for 5 mins with soft tooth brush then a 30 second bath/rinse in iso. the boards are not soaked in petrol just cleaned.

Mr. Mister
02-06-13, 21:37
For anyone who is in the same situation that i found myself in..

www.icloud.com

with your itunes details.. and everything is there for you to see on your iphone at last sync..

Hope this helps some of you guys..