PDA

View Full Version : New Alsat motor will only turn east?

realdannys
01-06-13, 12:22
Hi,

Ive just spent yesterday installing our first motorised dish and tried testing this morning - but for some reason the motor will only turn west. Ive found this with both the manual buttons (east button does nothing, though I hear the motor click) and on the receiver.

Have I done something wrong, is there perhaps something that needs resetting or is this a dodgy/broken motor?

Thanks

realdannys
01-06-13, 14:50
Ok, well I got up there and pulled the dish whilst pressing the west button and it moved! So the motor isn't broken, however for some reason it struggles to turn the dish west? I haven't had much look setting the sat's up yet so I don't know how far east it can before the problem exists (maybe well beyond where I need to) but it seems to be able to go back east quite easily if you send it fully west…

The dish and motor were sold as a package so they should match its 1.2m but the motor can handle up to 1.4, maybe I've fitted something wrong or I need to adjust something? The motor should be getting enough power as the box outputs 500ma, and it needs 350ma max - although I currently have a sat finder in between, could that be causing an issue? My box keeps turning the power it sends out on and off which is quite annoying too.

marty
01-06-13, 16:01
I've seen this before, you need to enter longitude and latitude ;)

realdannys
01-06-13, 16:16
Hi Marty, already did that on the box - it seems that as I said in the second post for some reason the motor struggled going from east to west once it had go so far east, not sure why. I don't even know if I need to go that far east for it to become an issue really but I had to go up there and help the motor turn.

Now I'm getting nothing, so i'm off to get a decent compass to check my south alignment, but despite copying exactly from the motor manual the motor and dish degrees I think the dish might need to point a little higher as I'm not getting anything at all (and I've tested all cables so no problem there)

Rob van der Does
01-06-13, 16:26
.... for some reason the motor struggled going from east to west once it had go so far east, not sure why. ....
Last time I heard that the DiYer had used a very long bolt that stopped the motor from turning ......:D

realdannys
01-06-13, 18:34
Haha no its not that, i even hacksawed off some of the bolts which came far too long. I think the dish may have just gone too far east to turn back properly - having looking at my mapping I don't think it'll have any issues going up to 45 degrees west hopefully. Now I've just got all the tuning to do, will be nice to pick up one sat!

Mandanddeb
01-06-13, 18:51
You can press both buttons together to reset the settings then send to 0 and then start again with you're settings iv had to do this before

realdannys
01-06-13, 19:18
Yeah think i'll have to do this - although if i tell receive to send to 0 it does, it appears the dish is bob on pointing south at 0 according to my magnetic compass.

Whats the best way to get the receiver to move to the satellite for tuning, there appears to be multiple ways my ™-800 image, in setup or by selecting a channel in the bouquet. Would it be best to just select for instance BBC HD on Thor 0.8w and then manually move the dish left/right until my sat receiver hits on it?

tagteam3283
08-06-13, 08:54
have you checked that you haven't enable an east limit on your positioner settings? Also try moving the dish manually via the positioner settings