PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo Twin Tuner on Standard $ky Dish

thedoctor46
30-05-13, 12:48
Hi,
I'm looking to get myself a new box to replace my standard $ky Box, the Vu+Duo ticked most boxes for me the twin tuner function is very important as I need to be able to recrod something for me while the Mrs watches her stuff.
I'll be running on a standard $ky fixed dish for a while then getting a motored one after the summer. I have seen that it will work on the dish but I am unclear on weather the twin tuner will work correctly something to do with LNB and cables from the dish.

My dish was fitted i think in June July last year, as I know they have varied slightly over the years. And it has a single cable running to the receiver which splits in 2 just before you plug into the box. I could probably get a picture of the dish to upload here if it needs to be seen.

Please excuse my ignorance on terminology and things i'm very new to the Sat world and am learning all the time :)

Any help will be greatly received.

Best regards

abu baniaz
30-05-13, 12:53
That cable is called shotgun cable. It is two cables stuck together.

garyblas
30-05-13, 12:54
I use Vu+ Duo on my Standard Sky dish works perfectly. But if was buying now would upgrade to the Vu Solo 2 does all Duo functions but faster response.

thedoctor46
30-05-13, 13:08
Thanks for replying,

Yeah I looked at those also they were on my list. So you can record 1 channel while watching another just through the standard Dish and Shotgun (thanks abu) cable? From what I have read elsewhere i says I need dual LNB for the second tunerwhich I'm not sure how to tell if I have or not.

StuBFrost
30-05-13, 13:14
If you can record 2 different channels at the same time on your Sky box now you will be able to do it on the VU+.

Also, if you are planning on getting motorised later it may be better to look at a box that can take 3 tuners (eg Ultimo).

Sicilian
30-05-13, 13:23
Also, if you are planning on getting motorised later it may be better to look at a box that can take 3 tuners (eg Ultimo).

Or the Venton UNiBOX HD3 ;)

thedoctor46
30-05-13, 13:25
Well yeah that makes sensee thanks, thats great.

3 tuners, i guess yeah that would be better comes with a hefty price tag tho I guess? Will take a look, thanks.

Sicilian
30-05-13, 13:26
Venton HD3 here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Venton-Unibox-Linux-HD/Venton-Unibox-HD3-triple-tuner-satellite-dvb-s-s2 £299 with 3x Satellite tuners.

thedoctor46
30-05-13, 13:56
ah thanks for the link, does look good but mite be a bit to pricey for me, was hoping to be closer to £200. Will have to see how the cash works out.

chalkie1901
02-06-13, 12:55
The vu+Duo looks very good but hard to install third party details!! Check your LNB to see if you connect 2 cables to it or use a twin like sky use!!

naturalblue
01-05-14, 17:18
Hi
I have a VU+ Duo2. It is connected to my old sky dish. This dish has 1 LNB with 4 cables coming from it. I hooked up 2 of the cables from the LNB into the 2 feeds on the Dual tuner in the Duo2.
Can someone tell me how many feeds I should be able to view/record. In the Duo guide it says you can record up to 16 feeds/channels if you buy the optional 2nd dual tuner. As I only have the preisntalled 1st dual tuner this makes me believe I should be able to get 8 (and then get 16 later if i buy the 2nd dual tuner and use the 2 remaining cables). Is this ocrrect as I seem to be only able to record 2 channels and view a third before I get a not uner free or timer conflict error message.
Do i need to change the LNB to one that will able 8 feeds through the 2 cables or is it a setting I have wrong in my config.
I chose simple setup on Astra 28.2 on the first tuner and set up the second tuner to be the same as first.
Will I get more if i change it to be one of the other choices that lets you set 4 ports per tuner A/B/C/D. This seems to make sense as 2 tuners eith 4 ports is 8.
Any help I can get would be appreciated.