PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, my solo 2 won't boot!

shuggie
26-05-13, 18:36
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a solo2 running vix for about 1 month and everything has worked fantastic. I tried a system update and unfortunately the power was cut during the process. Now the box shows starting. . On the display and nothing else happens. I am unable to flash via USB as tried numerous types.

I have searched the forums and see potential to flash via rs232 however I don't know if this will work as the utility does not list solo2 and the box seems so unresponsive to anything.

Please can anyone help as I am worried about if the box will ever work again!

craig37
26-05-13, 20:42
Try using a different usb flash drive...I had something similuar. First drive failed but alternative worked

chaser
26-05-13, 20:52
also, make sure your USB stick is formatted FAT32, and that you've extracted the flash files correctly onto your USB stick. You should have the following folder on the root of your USB:

vuplus\solo2

If you've downloaded the latest openViX build 668, then you should have the following files in the solo2 folder:

imageversion
initrd_cfe_auto.bin
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.bin
splash_cfe_auto.bin

shuggie
26-05-13, 21:18
I have tried four different usb drives and also formatted as FAT32. Checked folder and all those files are present:

I have tried again this evening but nothing happens, nothing on screen and box still just says Sarting. .

Thanks for your help guys, hopefully i can recieve some further feedback.

chaser
26-05-13, 21:21
remove any other usb drives and sata drives you might have installed, and try again.

shuggie
26-05-13, 21:22
No other usb drives and no hard disk installed.

chaser
26-05-13, 21:27
make sure you've done a safe removal of your USB stick from your PC after you've copied the files across (just in case one of the files is being corrupted). Also, try your usb stick in a different usb port on your solo2 box. I'm starting to run out of ideas!

Sicilian
26-05-13, 22:13
Use a USB max 8GB.

Follow this guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24773-How-to-USB-flash-upgrade-VU-Solo2

Use the HP Format tool to format your usb stick and use a rear usb port.

shuggie
26-05-13, 22:26
Sorted!!!!

I use Ubuntu in the house and USB would not eject safely so powered it down and life is great again.

Thank you all for taking the time to help, sorry if my problem seems silly now.

Sicilian
26-05-13, 22:26
Sorted!!!!

I use Ubuntu in the house and USB would not eject safely so powered it down and life is great again.

Thank you all for taking the time to help, sorry if my problem seems silly now.

No problem is silly, thats what the Forum is here for :)

pmos_hafi
29-05-13, 12:23
Dear Friend

I don't know whether it works or not but I would suggest that you use the rs232 procedure and select the solo type but choose the solo 2 image and check if it could be flashed by this way or not.

Best Regards

daviddrf
01-08-13, 19:27
Hello, I got the same problem yesterday...I uploaded a video here (sorry for the bad quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QgWr9RIH0

The power button is ON and off 1 second after I switched it on. The ethernet port is blinking but the VFD display never turns on. I disconnected everything (internal HDD, USB ports, etc...) I tried another AC adapter with the same volts and amps but it didn't work, I got the same problem. I tried to flash it with an image in the USB port but it didn't work. I tried with Vu+ Util (2.0.1 version and an older one too) and RS232 but there's no support for this receiver (Solo2), which is incredible...I am desperated because I bought it only four months ago. Although it's still in warranty I bought here, in Spain, in a website which is in a city which is more than one thousand km. far away from my city. I contacted the shop yesterday by telephone and they want I pay the shipment costs from me to their shop and viceversa (from their shop to me), double cost. The told me also I have to wait until one month because the official repair service is in holidays now (august month). That's my story...I'm desperated.

daviddrf
07-09-13, 04:30
Hi, I received the receiver from the supplier last September the 5th for free (under warranty and no ship cost) in my home and now it works perfect. It's a pity that's there's no still RS232/COM/serial support for VU+ Solo2 nowadays (at least for public access). I hope I won't have the same problem again... See you next time and thank you.