PDA

View Full Version : Motor has no power

steve14
26-05-13, 16:15
Hi,
I assumed my motor had died because it would not turn the dish. So I put a new motor on my pole and connected the coax to the Receiver port and tried moving the motor east and west to check it was working. But this motor is moving east or west either when I press the buttons on the bottom of the motor. The chances of two motors not working is slim, especially when one of them is brand new. (I actually bought this motor nearly a year ago from the sponsor but have only just put it on because everything was working good enough as I pretty much stick to 28 east most of the time).

Please can someone tell me what is the most likely cause of the motor having no power?

I am using a Gigable HD 800 SE. I have had the old motor working before but it has been a little temperamental and since it was a gift off a friend I assumed it might have a small fault. The cable going from the motor to the receiver goes from my back garden, over the house and into my front room. Is this cable too long or does it not make a difference?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Larry-G
26-05-13, 16:24
Hi,
I assumed my motor had died because it would not turn the dish. So I put a new motor on my pole and connected the coax to the Receiver port and tried moving the motor east and west to check it was working. But this motor is moving east or west either when I press the buttons on the bottom of the motor. The chances of two motors not working is slim, especially when one of them is brand new. (I actually bought this motor nearly a year ago from the sponsor but have only just put it on because everything was working good enough as I pretty much stick to 28 east most of the time).

Please can someone tell me what is the most likely cause of the motor having no power?

I am using a Gigable HD 800 SE. I have had the old motor working before but it has been a little temperamental and since it was a gift off a friend I assumed it might have a small fault. The cable going from the motor to the receiver goes from my back garden, over the house and into my front room. Is this cable too long or does it not make a difference?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Excessive cable runs can certainly account for some motor problems thats for sure, is the coax is good overall condition ?, ie no rips or tears along it's length.

Rob van der Does
26-05-13, 16:44
I have two motoers connected with a > 50m coax; never any problem.
Did you use the positioner to see if it moves from the GUI?

steve14
26-05-13, 19:20
I can't see all the cable as it goes up on the roof, but I can't see a problem with it and before I moved the dish (using the buttons on the motor) it was showing a good picture on the TV. The motor just stopped working at about 14-15 east.

No I haven't tried the GUI. I will give it a try.

steve14
26-05-13, 21:24
Tried the GUI stepping east around 30 times and the motor has not moved. I don't have the dish attached to the motor or the LNB connected to the Motor. Does this affect it at all?

Is it worth making another cable and just running it through the house to see if that is the problem?

TK4|2|1
26-05-13, 21:25
Take the motor that's not in use, a piece of coax with F plugs on, and plug it directly into the receiver. If it power up and moves in your living room then you have a cable fault.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

steve14
27-05-13, 09:53
Thanks for the advice, will give this a go.

steve14
29-05-13, 13:40
I have now tried 2 different cables one 25m long and one about 1.5 meters and both are not working. I completely turned off the gigablue and took the power out. I turned it back on, it then started working with the short cable for a minute and then it stopped working again with the old motor. I turned the gigablue completely off and back on again. Tried it with the new motor and it did work briefly but it wasn't moving properly... it's as if it didn't have enough power to move it.

It seems to me as if it's a problem with the gigablue.

seame
29-05-13, 14:32
Make sure you have the cables connected before powering on your box and when disconnecting make sure your box has been switched off for at least 30 seconds before removing the cables.

My motor will trip if I don't do the above and it can take anything between 30 minutes and a few hours for the motor to work again.

I've had this problem using various different dreambox models and a gigablue.

steve14
29-05-13, 16:17
That's weird...why are the motors so temperamental? Or is it the receiver that is temperamental?

seame
29-05-13, 16:31
My guess is that its the motor rather than the receiver that's the problem. I've had 5 different boxes connected to mine and I can remember it tripping with four of them.

Check that the cable is fitted securely to your F connectors and I'd advise using self amalgamating tape on the connection to the motor and lnb, water can be a real pain in the ass and a possible cause of the motor ceasing to work.

TK4|2|1
29-05-13, 18:32
Ignore seame's advice, it appears he hasn't read the whole thread thoroughly.
Do you have access to another receiver? A friend perhaps who can test your spare motor?

seame
29-05-13, 18:43
Ignore my advise? Why? Keeping connections clean and dry is vital to maintaining a motor, especially as there are so many cheap motors floating about and pulling the coax in and out of a box while it is powered on can't be good.

TK4|2|1
29-05-13, 18:51
Ignore my advise? Why? Keeping connections clean and dry is vital to maintaining a motor, especially as there are so many cheap motors floating about and pulling the coax in and out of a box while it is powered on can't be good.

If you had read the OP, and subsequent posts, you would have realized he has 2 motors. Both are not working, even with a short piece of coax connected to the gigablue in his living room.

steve14
29-05-13, 19:06
I have a friend who help me set it up. I will ask him he will let me test both motors on his receiver. He is good with the dish part of the setup and I'm good with the software side...together we normally stumble upon a fix.

I have heard the advice about putting tape on the connectors before, but I have never actually done it. I think I will give it a go when I finally get this working again.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

seame
29-05-13, 19:16
I have read all posts and I know he has two motors and I'd also put my house on the two of them looking exactly the same with maybe different brand names on them, there are a lot of cheap motors about and they're cheap for a reason. If you had read the post correctly you would know that both motors did work. Anyway, I'll stand by both my "guess" that it's the motor at fault, and, my advise on how to maintain the motor.

TK4|2|1
29-05-13, 21:30
I have a friend who help me set it up. I will ask him he will let me test both motors on his receiver. He is good with the dish part of the setup and I'm good with the software side...together we normally stumble upon a fix.

I have heard the advice about putting tape on the connectors before, but I have never actually done it. I think I will give it a go when I finally get this working again.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a "Goto 0" in the tuner config menu?

steve14
01-06-13, 15:34
Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy at work.

I took both motors round to my friends house a long with my gigablue. He has a dreambox, with a motorised dish. Both of my motors work fine as soon as they are connected to his dreambox with the short cable I was using. They move quickly and the motors don't sound like they are struggling at all. I connect them to my box and they do move, but they are moving slower and the motors sound like they are struggling to move. Also sometimes they don't work unless I completely power the gigablue off for a minute and then back on.

My personal feelings now is that the box is not giving the motor enough power for some reason but I'm a novice and this is my first motorised dish. What do you guys think?

steve14
01-06-13, 15:34
Have you tried a "Goto 0" in the tuner config menu?

I have tried moving the dish using the GUI, but not the Goto 0 bit.

TK4|2|1
01-06-13, 16:32
I have tried moving the dish using the GUI, but not the Goto 0 bit.

Try it, it might reset the motor and resync it to the receiver.
Also post your tuner config

steve14
01-06-13, 20:39
I have found a problem with the long cable...it has rubbed on a concrete post in the wind and worn through to the center. So that explains that problem. My friend had something that would join the cable together using 2 Fplugs. It works with the old motor but not the new motor...both motors are working with the short cable.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Larry-G
02-06-13, 14:18
I have found a problem with the long cable...it has rubbed on a concrete post in the wind and worn through to the center. So that explains that problem. My friend had something that would join the cable together using 2 Fplugs. It works with the old motor but not the new motor...both motors are working with the short cable.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks for the confirmation, as I expected it turned out to be faulty cabling so at least you now know what needs replacing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2