PDA

View Full Version : Should I post an illustrated guide to hard disc installation?

xarqi
07-10-10, 02:06
I've just installed a Samsung 1TB drive in my Duo, and being a bit photographic, documented the process, together with screenshots of the steps needed to initialise the disc once installed.

It was very straight-forward, with just a couple of very minor quirks*.

Would there be any real interest in my writing the process up and posting it? It would take a bit of time, but I'm happy to do this if it would be useful, but if nobody really gives a toss, I'd just as soon not bother.

Thoughts?

The quirks:
There is no positive confirmation of successful disc initialisation; just, I presume, an absence of any error message.
Similarly, there is no confirmation of successfully passing the file system check.
In each case, one is just presented with the same screen where the disc to initialise or check is selected.

Why it's puzzling is that after initialisation, and given the screen that comes up saying "Select HD", with the drive highlighted, my inclination was to press "OK" to access my newly initialised drive. Had I not resisted, I'd probably have started the initialisation process off again, or at least, got to the confirmation screen. It's the "Exit" button that has to be pressed to work up through the menus again, but there is no on-screen indication to this effect.

It's a very small point, but it's an unnecessary source of possible confusion.

Tkr001
07-10-10, 03:45
Yes I am sure it would help some newbies. There are periodic requests for this.

Sicilian
07-10-10, 05:31
Go for it, I'll make it a sticky ;)

xarqi
07-10-10, 06:12
OK - I'll get started.