PDA

View Full Version : Is my power supply on the way out???

meggiedude
23-05-13, 08:41
Hi there,

Bought my (genuine) VU+Duo less than a year ago, and having issues with booting.
I would say its got increasingly more difficult to successfully boot recently.

Wanted to use it yesterday and noticed that the front panel was showing "Starting..." so knew that this would require a reboot.
It took 4 or 5 physical reboots before I got past the red light + "Starting" in the display. (leaving 30secs between power of & on)
When it did finally restart the volume was set at an absolute minimum. Could not find a way round this last might, so this morning remotely logged into unit via Open Webif site and have changed the volume that way. Will test it when I get home.

So is my unit, or specifically the PSU on the way out, or do I have a different issue with the booting???
BTW I am now on the latest VIX OE3.0 build (updated after I finally got it started last night)

Cheers

MD

josh_g
23-05-13, 08:59
not owning a Duo my self i cant be 100% to what the problem is but it sounds to me like the dreaded capacitor problem that is causing a lot of trouble with the Duo's,

there is a sticky somewhere that can guide you through fixing it :)

Rob van der Does
23-05-13, 09:02
Looks like the cap indeed. And don't use the box in it's present state, as more damage can be the result.

meggiedude
23-05-13, 09:07
Looks like the cap indeed. And don't use the box in it's present state, as more damage can be the result.
Hmm, That's a concern.

The unit is less than one year old, and I am being advised by the reseller to update the cfe file from the VU website and go from there.
Am I being fobbed off??

Rob van der Does
23-05-13, 09:47
As you're on ViX 3.0 you already have the latest bootloader installed.

meggiedude
23-05-13, 09:49
OK Thanks - Will let them know.

Sicilian
23-05-13, 09:53
I would do the following: -

1) Take a backup of your image.
2) Power off and disconnect any installed HDD.
3) Re-flash and check performance without HDD.
4) If OK without HDD, re-connect and test again.

If not ok with HDD connected I'd re-initialise your HDD.

In answer to your last post, the seller is fobbing you off instead of giving proper advice.