PDA

View Full Version : Brightness keeps increasing on solo2

jugulator
18-05-13, 14:08
Hi
I have this weird problem with my solo2. Brightness of picture keeps on increasing after watching the channel for a while to a point that we can't distinguish the out line of objects. This is more noticeable in HD channels. If I reboot the box then the picture quality comes back to normal. I wonder if anyone has this issue? Is this a hardware problem.? I am on the vix image build 656. Whenever new updates came I thought it will be fixed, unfortunately it still persists.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 16:10
I never heard about this, so it might be a hardware problem.

jugulator
18-05-13, 16:39
I never heard about this, so it might be a hardware problem.

Thanks for reply. Looks like I may have to send the box back. I will see if any settings causing this. Or may be give bh image a try and see of still there.

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 17:05
I would try an OI (Original Image from VU+) to be sure.

Trial
18-05-13, 18:26
Hi,
have you changed the the brightness of the Solo2? If yes keep it on the default of 128. I heard that changing this value might cause such a problem.

ciao

1taz
18-05-13, 21:10
Hi

same problem here using vix 3.0.665 After viewing graphic epg the hd channels increase brightness. If you switch to a SD channel it corrects itself and its then possible to switch back to hd with normal brightness. I had the problem for a while and and re-flashed and changed skin to default without improvement. Will try default seeings and report.

1taz

jugulator
18-05-13, 21:20
Hi

same problem here using vix 3.0.665 After viewing graphic epg the hd channels increase brightness. If you switch to a SD channel it corrects itself and its then possible to switch back to hd with normal brightness. I had the problem for a while and and re-flashed and changed skin to default without improvement. Will try default seeings and report.

1taz

Thanks for all the replies. And glad ton know that there is someone else who has this issue. (No offence :)). Yeah it reverts to normal brightness when I change to sd channel and back. Weird indeed.

jugulator
18-05-13, 21:22
Hi,
have you changed the the brightness of the Solo2? If yes keep it on the default of 128. I heard that changing this value might cause such a problem.

ciao

No I haven't.

1taz
18-05-13, 21:36
I'd be very grateful if other vix users could test this to rule out a hardware fault. I'm using 1080p resolution, please select epg and move to a hd service then continue to select other hd services repeatedly I find the picture increases in brightness with each channel change. As stated previously to reset simply choose a sd service.

Many thanks for any help

1taz

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 22:06
I'd be very grateful if other vix users could test this to rule out a hardware fault. I'm using 1080p resolution, please select epg and move to a hd service then continue to select other hd services repeatedly I find the picture increases in brightness with each channel change. As stated previously to reset simply choose a sd service.
Not here .

1taz
18-05-13, 22:22
OK, thanks for that Rob. I have a duo running without the problem. I think I'll try another image to see if the problem persists.

Thanks again

1taz

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 22:30
I have UNO, DUO, Ultimo & Solo2, all regularly running on different images, and I never experienced this.

1taz
18-05-13, 23:01
Cheers Rob, I'll flash another image. If the problem remains I'll return the box to the sponsor.

1taz

1taz
18-05-13, 23:05
Hi jugulator

If you find a solution, please let me know and I'll do the same.

1taz

chucknorris666
18-05-13, 23:37
No issue hear with solo 1 and a solo 2 both running vix 3.0 build 665

jugulator
18-05-13, 23:49
Hi jugulator

If you find a solution, please let me know and I'll do the same.

1taz

Sure. I will do. Let me know if flashing another image solves the problem. Otherwise I will also return the box to sponsor.

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 06:48
I actually did have that problem when I changed the saturation from the default value using the 'Video Enhancement Settings'. Since having it on the default (128/256) I never had the issue again. So this is then very likely to be a software issue.

I'll change the brightness & saturation to see if I still can provoke this.

Larry-G
19-05-13, 06:50

Many thanks for any help

1taz

Not here .

nor here either.

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 06:52
I actually did have that problem when I changed the saturation from the default value using the 'Video Enhancement Settings'. Since having it on the default (128/256) I never had the issue again. So this is then very likely to be a software issue.

I'll change the brightness & saturation to see if I still can provoke this.

Well, that didn't take long: indeed this box doesn't handle non default values in 'Video Enhancement Settings'.
Please try setting all values to default.

1taz
19-05-13, 07:10
Yep, looks like that sorted it Rob. I set the video enhancement to default, restarted GUI and all seems well again.

Thanks for your help

1taz

Trial
19-05-13, 09:01
Hi,
thatīs what I told you. I am not sure about saturation but brightness was a discussion in a German board already.

I reported a problem to VU+ about that.

ciao

jugulator
19-05-13, 09:48
Looks like I did mess with the brightness it was at 130. I changed it back to 128. Will report if it is sorted or not as it comes on after a while if watching. Thanks all for the tip.

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 09:51
Given this flaw I suggest to use the TV-settings for adapting the desired values.

jugulator
28-05-13, 23:04
I can confirm that the problem is solved with the fix suggested. Thanks a lot.

drdivx
29-05-13, 14:06
I too have this problem. Can only be sorted by going into/outof standby.
There doesn't seem to be a "reset to default" option in the settings.
Please can someone advise what the default settings are in the Video Enhancement Settings?
Thanks.

Trial
29-05-13, 14:10
Hi,
set brightness to 128 and your problem should be gone.

ciao

Rob van der Does
29-05-13, 14:12
See screenshot for defaults; the bars must be in the middle position.

jugulator
29-05-13, 19:17
See screenshot for defaults; the bars must be in the middle position.

What skin are using? Looks cool :)

Trial
29-05-13, 19:27
Hi,
I would say the skin he created by himself:-) It is called Magic-HD.

ciao

jugulator
29-05-13, 19:38
Hi,
I would say the skin he created by himself:-) It is called Magic-HD.

ciao

Cheers :) ...

drdivx
30-05-13, 15:59
Thanks Rob, for the screenshot. I have copied those settings.
Just hope it sorts this annoying problem.
Certainly just resetting the brightness did not!!!

Got to say, as a side-note for any potential buyers of this box, I think
the picture quality overall is poor,easily the worst of any box i have used.
Hence messing with these settings in the first place!

Rob van der Does
30-05-13, 16:33
Well, then something is very wrong: I don't think anyone can truly say the Solo2 gives a bad PQ at all.

jugulator
30-05-13, 22:01

I have to at least partly agree with this to an extent. I used amiko alien 2 before. Comparing that the picture quality is poor, I think.

2stein
26-06-13, 13:34
I have to at least partly agree with this to an extent. I used amiko alien 2 before. Comparing that the picture quality is poor, I think.
I agree to that as well. PQ is worse than on the Duo I had before.

Trial
26-06-13, 13:37
Hi,
has anybody checked with latest driver if the problem with brightness still exists?

ciao

Sirius
26-06-13, 21:09
Thanks Rob, for the screenshot. I have copied those settings.
Just hope it sorts this annoying problem.
Certainly just resetting the brightness did not!!!

Have to disagree with you on this one, the PQ on my solo 2 running vix 3.0 build 683 is spot on if not better than my standard sly HD box.

Have you tried turning overscan off on your tv?

What about changing the settings on your tv display?

Rob van der Does
27-06-13, 02:26
Have to disagree with you on this one, the PQ on my solo 2 running vix 3.0 build 683 is spot on if not better than my standard sly HD box.

That's what I stated over and over again: all modern boxes are fine regarding PQ.
If however it seems to be not OK, it's always the user who tried to 'enhance' things, or the telly that has all kinds of not needed (nor wanted) enhancements activated by default.

Sirius
27-06-13, 12:28
That's what I stated over and over again: all modern boxes are fine regarding PQ.
If however it seems to be not OK, it's always the user who tried to 'enhance' things, or the telly that has all kinds of not needed (nor wanted) enhancements activated by default.

Yes exactly totally agree with you...
I have a modern Sony Bravia tv, and when I first got it by default all sorts of enhancements were activated by default. Personally I thought although it was nice too look at, I thought it was rubbish so went ahead and disabled every one of them... Doing so gave me a much better true high definition picture

Rob van der Does
28-06-13, 14:54
TV's are setup to stand-out when in a shop in a line of dozens of competitors. Nothing wrong with the latter, but why should that be the default for everybody's TV once at home?
For modern, digital contents ALL enhancers should be switched off. And be aware: on most (all??) TV's that must be done per input.
And the most difficult one is overscan, as it gets all kinds of fancy names (and sometimes even can't be switched off at all).

Sirius
28-06-13, 15:02
TV's are setup to stand-out when in a shop in a line of dozens of competitors. Nothing wrong with the latter, but why should that be the default for everybody's TV once at home?
For modern, digital contents ALL enhancers should be switched off. And be aware: on most (all??) TV's that must be done per input.
And the most difficult one is overscan, as it gets all kinds of fancy names (and sometimes even can't be switched off at all).

Yeah your right on that I noticed when I changed hdmi inputs all the vivid colours and enhancements were back on so I disabled then for each input.

And as for overscan its called display pixel or something on the Sony Bravia tvs

Rob van der Does
28-06-13, 15:14
And as for overscan its called display pixel or something on the Sony Bravia tvs
Sony Bravia is a generic name foor all Sony TV's.
I have one on which overscan off = '+1' (makes sense, doesn't it?), and another Bravia on which it has a complete different name (can't even remember atm).

drdivx
02-07-13, 18:45

I have no wish to argue with anybody here. This forum is for sharing information about our hobby. Once again thankyou Rob for your earlier post, resetting ALL to default sorted the problem. However to assume the problem lies with my TV, connection or anywhere else is crass and wrong. I standby my statement that the PQ of this box is the poorest of any box I have used before. The box has a lot going for it but picture quality is not one of them and anybody thinking of forking out 300+ quid for one should be aware.
Rob it is not "always the user" at fault, this box is far from perfect, yes even the Koreans can get it wrong occasionally.

Rob van der Does
02-07-13, 19:02
Rob it is not "always the user" at fault, this box is far from perfect, yes even the Koreans can get it wrong occasionally.
Of course they can be wrong. But using my Solo2 with several TV's and comparing it with my other boxes clearly show me that there's nothing wrong with the box in that area.
And believe me: if you only had an idea about the number of TV's being set to use all kind of enhancers and thus ruining the PQ (thanks to the default settings all TV's have :confused: ).........

Trial
02-07-13, 19:41
Hi,
btw. the brightness problem seems to be still there with the latest driver.

ciao

Rob van der Does
02-07-13, 19:47
btw. the brightness problem seems to be still there with the latest driver.
Sorry, I forgot to report, but that is indeed the case.