PDA

View Full Version : NFS Shares

scottmcroberts
16-05-13, 15:59
Hi all

I have two Tm-2t's one upstairs and one down. I want to access downstairs Hard drive from my Tm upstairs, unfortunately I am struggling. I have set up NFS on both machines and they are running. I go into Network browser and can the other machine, when I select it and click OK nothing happens.

Is there an idiots guide to setting up NFS, been all over forums and can't find anything. (By the way I'm quite a beginner to Linux/E2 boxes)

Any help appreciated

chaser
16-05-13, 17:29
Have a look here...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23560-Network-mounts-how-do-they-work

scottmcroberts
17-05-13, 08:21
Thanks very much Chaser, it looks as if I am going wrong on the Mounts will do it this way tonight and let you know how i get on, thanks again

chaser
17-05-13, 18:37
This is how I've set up one of my mounts:

scottmcroberts
17-05-13, 20:11
Brilliant, this has worked a treat, thank for this Chaser

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 10:11
back again, problem number two

I have it working perfectly in one direction ie I can view, play movies from hdd upstairs, however no matter what I do I can't get upstairs receiver to see downstairs hard drive. All setting are exactly the same with the exception of the IP address.

In network browser I can see the downstairs receiver, in the mounts management there is a green tick nfs is active on both machines, yet when I go to Media Yellow button there is no mount there just the normal mount for the hard drive that is hard linked to the upstairs receiver

It's strange due to the fact that it is working fine from downstairs accessing upstairs hard drive, any more advice greatly appreciated:confused:

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 10:22
Did you add the mount-location to the recordings settings?

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 10:47
no I didnt but I did not do that for any box and one box is seeing the others hard drive. I have also selected no as "use as hdd replacement" as I I don't want to record over the network, just view.

Bit stumped here, but thanks again for quick response

chaser
18-05-13, 10:47
Are you sure that it's mounted correctly? I think the tick you mention is to show that then mount point is enabled, but not necessarily that it has mounted. The HDD icon on the left hand side will tell you if the drive is correctly mounted. In the attached example, my Bedroom3 mount doesn't actually exist. I don't have any box at 192.168.0.59. Even though the mount point is enabled (green tick), there is no mount (red cross on HDD icon at LHS). My Familyroom mount does exist, but I've disabled this to show that the tick changes to a cross. Again there is a red cross on the HDD to indicate that the drive has not been mounted. The Bedroom mount is working fine, and has a tick to indicate the mount point is enabled, and the HDD icon has no cross indicating that the mount is working.

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 11:03
You are right chaser the mount itself hasn't worked. The Icon to the left was not active and had little red cross, I deleted the mount and redid it, Receiver says successful but still icon has little red cross, for some reason it is not mounting. Any ideas from here, thanks

By the wat the fillets of meat in the picture look brilliant :p

chaser
18-05-13, 11:17
Ok. There's not much to go wrong. I'm guessing that either your IP address or server share is wrong.

On your downstairs box:

Menu/Information/Network to check IP Address
Menu/Setup/System/Recording Settings to check default movie location

The problem can be as simple as having typed 'media/hdd/movies' instead of 'media/hdd/movie' for the server share. I know from experience!

Rob van der Does
18-05-13, 11:25
Is NFS active on both the client & server box?

abu baniaz
18-05-13, 12:00
Although not directly affecting your issue, it might be an idea to use static IP addresses for your devices at this stage or use IP reservation on your router. Will prevent issues.

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 12:18
Thanks all, at the wee mans football at the moment, so will check all these issues when I het home and ley you all know

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 15:28
Hi all back and had another look at it,spot the difference

/media/hdd/movie
/ media/hdd/movie

Yep it was a very silly mistake of putting a space in the line, i never noticed it until I went closer to the TV.

Thanks to each and everyone for your help, although it was my mistake I would not have noticed it without all your guidance, cheers guys.

Next thing to do is set up stream of channels ...no doubt I will be back :p:D

chaser
18-05-13, 16:29
Cool. It's nearly always the simple things!

scottmcroberts
18-05-13, 16:33
very much a newby to linux sat boxes, but getting there