PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to a TV with Android TV dongle

kunmun23
16-05-13, 15:54
Hi m8s,
I have a ET9000 running the latest ViX image. I regularly stream on my laptop and on my android smartphones using Dreamdroid.

I now want to add another telly in the room upstairs. I am thinking of the following option :

a TV or computer monitor with an HDMI port,
plug in an HDMI dongle for android TV
download Dreamdroid onto the dongle
Use with an air mouse to stream from my ET9000.

Anybody has any experience with this ? The reviews I found for these cheap android dongles are mixed..some have reported audio sync issues on streaming, others have reported poor wifi (though wifi isn't really an issue for me...have powerline LAN as well as Wifi repeater in the room upstairs)

If this options works, I'd go with it because it also gives me an android telly for net surfing, mails etc.

If this doesn't work, I could do remote streaming on another E2 openpli box.

Suggestions/comments ?

PS I did a search on the forums but didn't find anything on this topic...apologies if its a repeat post..please point me to the right thread.

kunmun23
16-05-13, 16:03
Mods, just realized that this could be a potential E2 question NOT specific to ET9x00. Feel free to move the thread to appropriate forum. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Trial
16-05-13, 19:01
Hi,
I heard the XBMC for Android can use the VUPlus addon of XBMC. Take a look at xbmc.org for download.

ciao

kunmun23
16-05-13, 20:09
Oh I think I didn't phrase my question correctly :

Primary Question : I'm asking if someone has used the hardware (i.e. the android TV HDMI dongle) to successfully stream videos from the satbox to a TV ?

Secondary Question : If yes, how ? Dreamdroid or XBMC or something else ?

Hi,
I heard the XBMC for Android can use the VUPlus addon of XBMC. Take a look at xbmc.org for download.

ciao

kunmun23
17-05-13, 11:36
Anyone ??:confused:

dfdream
17-05-13, 15:47
I have an XBMC Media PC (corei5 win7) connected to the TV and I had VU Duo streaming to xbmc.
It downloaded the EPG etc to xbmc and you could even record the streams onto xbmc as scheduled recordings.
In theory it all works great but A few issues I saw was that XBMC would slow down alot while updating from the duo (epg, recordings, channel lists etc) and sometimes the tuners taken by the xbmc would not be released properly and require reboot of the DUO.
I also stream from duo to solo for sats not connected to the solo and for me this method works 100% better than the XBMC.
If you have bought nothing Id go with second hand enigma2 box and stream to that.

Oh I think I didn't phrase my question correctly :

Primary Question : I'm asking if someone has used the hardware (i.e. the android TV HDMI dongle) to successfully stream videos from the satbox to a TV ?

Secondary Question : If yes, how ? Dreamdroid or XBMC or something else ?

kunmun23
17-05-13, 16:18
Thanks for the info. I haven't used XBMC ever but as mentioned earlier, I use Dreamdroid (an Android client for Enigma 2 boxes) to successfully stream content to my smartphones and tablets..it works like a charm (only SD channels though..HD glitches even on a wired LAN).
So I was hoping the same android app would work on a android dongle...the advantage, as I mentioned earlier is that it would allow me to use the TV for basic net surfing, email etc. Using a secondary satbox to stream would not give me that....

Anyways I'll keep on researching and update how it goes...still not ready to spend £35 quid on a cheap android tv dongle yet :)

jez
18-05-13, 02:49
Ive got a UG007 android tv dongle but its wifi range isnt the best and my router is pretty close to it. I tried xbmc to stream and it works fine but couldn't turn over the channel for some reason so installed VU+ player from the play store and everything works spot on in SD, you can change which video player is used and I had it half decent using mx player on HD but had some breakup/glitching but worth ago as your hardware might be better, you could just use openwebif on a laptop with hdmi out though if youve got one

kunmun23
18-05-13, 09:44
That's exactly the kind of info I were looking for. Given the numerous reports of poor WiFi, I'll look for a dongle that has Ethernet port or use the WiFi repeater next to the dongle.

Question : I haven't used xbmc before.If I understand correctly, you run the xbmc server on the enigma 2 box and use the android client on the dongle to stream? If yes, can you please point me to how to set up xbmc server on the e2 box.
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Also as I said I already use laptops and smartphones fir streaming.my intention is to set up a second tv in the room upstairs and utilize the existing setup.and instead of a tv remote I'll use an air mouse to control the android client

jez
18-05-13, 13:52
Depends which box/image i suppose but im running a vix 3.0 image and didnt have to touch the enigma2 side as im pretty sure its already pre configured. In Xbmc just enable live tv plugin go to pvr plugins and configure the Vu+/enigma 2 , enter the ip address of your enigma2 box add username (root)and password ( whatever you made it), and thats basically it but as I said its much easier on android to just install VU+ player or Dreamdroid on to the dongle from play store add the box details and it works spot on for streaming enigma2. Why dont you install Xbmc on your pc/laptop and get to grips with it first as the setup is exactly the same as on android and the plugins are amazing. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/VUPlus

kunmun23
18-05-13, 14:56
Actually I was trying out the XBMC remote app on android that I just downloaded but can't seem to get it to work with my ET9x00 running the latest ViX image.

Also, it seems there is no full XBMC android app that works like Dreamdroid. I don't want to use XBMC on my laptop because that's not what my project would be....it would be an Android dongle connected to a cheap 24" LCD 1080p monitor to use a secondary TV !! :)

Since I already have a monitor to test with, I think I'll just give it a shot and order a android dongle ...shall update back with the results.

jez
18-05-13, 16:39
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuplus.vuplusplayer have a go of that on your phone m8

kunmun23
10-06-13, 16:20
Thanks. This works as good as the Dreamdroid.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuplus.vuplusplayer have a go of that on your phone m8

kunmun23
10-06-13, 16:26
Since I already have a monitor to test with, I think I'll just give it a shot and order a android dongle ...shall update back with the results.

UPDATE :

Didn't order the dongle yet. A friend has a decent spec generic android tablet with HDMI out (A1CS 8" RAPID5 TABLET PC - ANDROID 4.1.1 JELLY BEAN - DUAL CORE (2*1.66) CPU - QUAD-CORE GPU ) which I'll plugged into my 24" monitor and try the streaming over LAN. If it works without glitching then I'll know that the dongle may work well.

Else, I'll look at the alternative method :

Enigma2 plugin-extension called "remote channel stream converter" running on another enigma2 box streaming from my ET9000.

I am currently trying with a TM800HD but running into issues installing the plugin..still investigating.

kunmun23
01-08-13, 20:56
Alright mates...here's the update :

Bought Minix G4 Android TV dongle
Bought an android airmouse
Connected to the telly in my upstairs room
Connected through wifi
signed into google account on the dongle
Downloaded Dreamdroid onto the dongle through playstore
Downloaded VLC Player, MX Player
configured it for streaming from my ET9000
Voila !! Works flawlessly...

VLC Player is a bit flaky so I have made MXPlayer as the default player
Obviously streaming HD channels over wifi never works but SD channels do just fine.

On hindisight, I should have bought Minix X5 because of the ethernet port and extra USB ports...oh well, I'll wait for Minix X7 the new version with quad core processor..

Let me know if anyone has any questions on streaming (on LAN) from enigma2 to an androidTV dongle...can try to help.

Off to some forum searching now for my next project :
Trying to stream over the internet..