PDA

View Full Version : New to FTA - few questions on kit needed

ivor11
16-05-13, 13:24
just have a few questions re free to air sat,

I want to install a standard raven mini sky dish and run twin cables down to a sat receiver to receive free to air tv and get a few more HD channels!

I was looking at a kit like click (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Sky-HD-Freesat-HD-Satellite-Dish-Full-20m-Twin-Black-Install-Kit-MORE-/111010153304?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_LNBs&hash=item19d8b88358), but it only includes WF65 - is it necessary to get WF100 cable - thinking 10m ish run outside but if I can I want to fish the cable down from the loft - probably be nearer 20m if I can do this?

Regarding the receiver, I think I will go with a cheaper box to start with, then if I want to upgrade move that elsewhere in the house and buy a VU+ Solo 2 for the main tv

I would like if possible:
PVR – via usb is fine
HD
twin tuners
ability to play .flac music files
usb slot
HDMI
epg 1 day at least

I have been looking at:
skybox f5 £50ish

Openbox X5 £50ish

Humax Foxsat-HDR/500-G £150 from humax direct

Foxsat-HD-G £69 no hdd humax direct

Then in time I would like to add an additional LNB to the dish to receive more channels, do I need a 63cm mini dish for this or can I get away with a 43cm dish (located in suffolk)?
If I combine the LNB feeds using a Diseqc switch, do I need 2 switches to record and watch at the same time? Do I need a sat finder for the install or is a compass and tv sufficient?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

josh_g
16-05-13, 13:41
Have no clue around the cable to be honest :/ all my cables are run in really cheap horrible stuff i picked up off ebay and all works ay ok :)

i would advice you to stay away from the skybox/openboxes are they are cheap and nasty!! i been through about 4 of them until i got TM-Twin!

i would look at a vu+ solo with a duel tuner card. it may be a bit out of your price range but it will give you all the VIX functionality and inst too expensive i.e On Demand Player, 7 day EPG, streaming, PVR, Networksharing.

if u purley want 28.2 i mini dish will be fine.. i have a octo LNB on mine that feeds 6 boxes perfectly!

ivor11
16-05-13, 20:37
Thanks for your advice Josh, increased budget on box now looking at MaxDigital XP1000 which seems a good box for the money - can't really stretch to vu+ solo 2 at the moment but it does indeed look a cracking box,
maxdigital a good choice?

dwarf
16-05-13, 22:03
I would look at the technomate nano which is £130 and enigma 2. No vix support at the moment but I bet it'll come shortly or if you can stretch to a technomate single do that as you'll get vix support.

I found the maxx digital box a little sluggish at times where as the single is quite swift.