PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Password handling Plugin REQUEST

MarsArtis
15-05-13, 09:15
As recently we have discovered that STB linux based could suffer from virus attack.
I'd like to suggest to enable a password change feature from within the VIX gui it self.
Maybe a good think would be to ask during startup wizard to set a custom password (like for parental control pin).

That said is there any plugin that at present will help in changing default password? Is it available in Vix feed (I've not noticed anything like that).

judge
15-05-13, 09:30
As recently we have discovered that STB linux based could suffer from virus attack.

??? it's a computer, any & all computers are prone to virus attacks.
no need for a plugin, a bit more reading up on linux would probably serve you a lot better.

Rob van der Does
15-05-13, 10:35
That said is there any plugin that at present will help in changing default password? Is it available in Vix feed (I've not noticed anything like that).
There has been a plugin doing just that, but it is not compatible any more.
I think it would be an excellent idea to add this as default functionality in our images.

josh_g
15-05-13, 10:43
i agree with rob, i use streaming quite a lot and don't have a password at present. so anyone who knows my DNS account can effectively hack in and also stream media from my box sucking up me bandwidth! im sure there is a away through telneting into the box it can be changed but choosing one at start-up is a brilliant idea

MarsArtis
15-05-13, 13:30
Ok Rob you got the point.

Larry-G
15-05-13, 14:21
i agree with rob, i use streaming quite a lot and don't have a password at present. so anyone who knows my DNS account can effectively hack in and also stream media from my box sucking up me bandwidth! im sure there is a away through telneting into the box it can be changed but choosing one at start-up is a brilliant idea

Telnet into the receiver using root as the username. Then issue the passwd command ( passwd NOT passwd )

you will be asked to input a password, press enter when done and you will be prompted to enter the same password again. Don't worry if you don't see the password being entered its still working. This new password applies to both telnet and FTP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MarsArtis
15-05-13, 14:32
To Phoenix and judge.

I was not asking how to change password on the box. I was pointing out that it would be a great feature to add password handling via GUI.
Rob got the point.

Larry-G
15-05-13, 14:34
To Phoenix and judge.

I was not asking how to change password on the box. I was pointing out that it would be a great feature to add password handling via GUI.
Rob got the point.

Yes I am aware my reply was directed to josh, hence why I quoted his post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD