PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player Woes

supathug
08-04-10, 18:02
Hi All,

Im on the most up to date PLi image and im really struggling to play DVD files or ISOs off my NAS. DVD menus have audio - but the main titles dont and after a while, the playback starts to stutter. Media player plays back a 720p MKV file with no such problems so I know its not a bandwidth issue. Anyone know of a fix or whether dream-elite has this problem?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Sicilian
08-04-10, 20:04
I've got to be honest and have not been able to play dvd iso's on any image, thats why I was surprised when you said you could here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/vu-duo-discussion/iso-media-player/msg305/#msg305

supathug
08-04-10, 21:25
Hey Sic.

I was able to play them fine until I upgraded via software update. Thing is, I didnt back the thing up pre update so to go back is gonna involve a hell of a lot of messing around! Thing is, I cant even play back ripped DVD files now either. Do you know if dream elite or any other image has a better DVD Player?

Sicilian
08-04-10, 21:59
I'll try Dream Elite prob tomorrow night, will let you know m8, but got admit I never been able to get any DVD iso's to play.

supathug
09-04-10, 09:13
Have you been able to get DVD VOB files to play properly?

Sicilian
09-04-10, 09:16
Have you been able to get DVD VOB files to play properly?

I've not tried m8, I'll try and find time over this weekend. Been so busy with settings up the forums and removing bugs etc..It's been taking over my life last week or so lol!

supathug
16-04-10, 22:36
Sic - Did u try the vob files out? Any luck?

bobonthejob
27-04-10, 08:39
I can confirm that i have a similar issue.

I am running BH 1.3 image - I have a DVD image on my Home PC . The location is shared out and then mounted on the Vu+ duo using CIFS. The mount is fine and am able to manually umount and mount without issue. Im able to read and write to the location too.

When i use the DVD Player in the image, it just seems to stutter. Network is fine...Dont see that being an issue? Anyone else come across this apart from supathug? Has anyone been able to try this and replicate?

Thanks.

Sicilian
27-04-10, 08:51
In all honesty I've never been able to get dvd player to work. I'll have another go later today with OpenPLi.

bobonthejob
27-04-10, 08:55
I have a feeling the aSupathug suggested that Pli was fine. Might be an issue with BH.

dfdream
27-04-10, 09:56
All,

I have seen several comments from PLi site about DVD and video media playback (divx, Mkv and avis) issues after the update on 18th April.

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?358-Warning-Don-t-run-auto-update-on-OpenPLi-for-18-04-10

Its something to do with 4.5 drivers. Some users have reported no issue but others have.

I havent updated my openpli since because of these issues but will try it over the next few days.

D

bobonthejob
27-04-10, 10:07
Cheers for that dude.... i have posted something on the DE site...see if anyone has any further information there. Will report back if anything comes of it.

Sicilian
27-04-10, 10:51
Just had a quick play with this. Mounted a shared virtual DVD drive from networked PC. Tried to play DVD through DVD player and did stutter a lot. I then played it back as if you where playing back a recording, played fine. Only draw back is I think you would have to play each VOB file to view the movie. One good thing I found though was that is played back with the correct resolution.

cycloxit
27-04-10, 11:11
Hi,

I did try the DVD player with a USB xbox360 HD drive and it played just fine on VTI image, not tried it recently though.

bobonthejob
27-04-10, 11:24
sic@ did you have the actual DVD files (VOB) or did you try it as an iso? I believe the DVD Player mounts the ISO and runs the dvd as per normal?

Sicilian
27-04-10, 11:32
@ bob, I mounted the ISO on the pc vitrual drive, then navigated to the vob files. I'll try an ISO directly next.

Sicilian
27-04-10, 11:46
Found a little work around using Media Player and netork mounted virtaul dvd drive (such as daemon tools).

Mount DVD.iso using vrtual drive on PC.
Open media player and navigate to the VIDEO.ts folder.
Press Menu on remote then select 'add directory to playlist'
Then press menu again and select switch to playlist'
Now press play and the dvd should play fine :)

bobonthejob
27-04-10, 12:05
Will give it a whirl....Gonna be a busy day today when i get back home today...but will try to do it some point today.

Is a strange one. Strange though....how the DVD Player app doesnt work as it should.

supathug
09-05-10, 17:09
Had a bit of a read on ther PLi forums last night and it appears that the latest Dream Elite image has reverted back to an older version of the DVD player and seems to work. Can anyone confirm this with using this image and playing vob files and ISOs off e.g. a NAS. Tried it last night but the dream elite image would not connect to the CIFS share on my nas for some reason.

bobonthejob
11-05-10, 15:48
Has anyone got BH1.3.2 loaded up? If so...please could you test the DVD player on it...Apparently should be working....

Thanks all.

Sicilian
14-05-10, 12:31
Has anyone got BH1.3.2 loaded up? If so...please could you test the DVD player on it...Apparently should be working....

Thanks all.

Just tested, mounted a shared folder on pc and for the first time I've managed to actually play dvd.iso's :) I tested 3 iso files, one of them wouldn't play though.

Monty
14-05-10, 13:12
I must give this a try, but DVD's are so last century, I'll see if I can find any iso's in my museum.

supathug
15-05-10, 10:21
I must give this a try, but DVD's are so last century, I'll see if I can find any iso's in my museum.

LOL Monty - I never thought of DVD being old before - but you're right - there are better things out there now! Thing is most people still have loads of DVD files lying around that they would love to play off networked storage etc. If what Sic is saying is true and DVD now works on BH 1.3.2, I for one will switch from PLi! Just a shame that PLi cant/wont integrate the old DVD player into their image like Dream Elite have, so many people have pointed it out as being faulty that the dev team over there must surely know!

Sicilian
15-05-10, 10:24
I think PLi will fix the DVD player in their image eventually, give them time. Doubt that it will be long before they release a full stable image.

Monty
15-05-10, 10:36
I gave it a try on latest PLi, and as expected, it's broke. After about 3 minutes playing an ISO from my comp, the VU+ rebooted itself !
Even though I'm not looking for DVD playback, I will try BH, cos i'm nosey that way :)

supathug
11-06-10, 11:13
Sorry to bump this guys - Sic - you know its my favourite topic and seeing as I hadnt heard anything on this for a while I thought I'd get your thoughts on a potential brainwave I had LOL.

I was looking on the DE 1.3.2 downloads the other day and noticed an IPK for DVD modules. Comments under the download said they were working modules for the DVD player. Seeing as the DVD in DE is working I was wondering whether you could somehow get hold of this IPK from the DE image and install it onto PLi. They look to be Enigma2 specific rather than image specific so they should work? Does anyone know how to do this or could anyone try? Or is it a totally dumb idea?

Sicilian
11-06-10, 11:29
I did try a number of DVD player plugins on PLi, none of which where compatible with their kernal.

There's has been a ticket raised for OpenPLi to look at the DVD player
http://openpli.pli-images.org/ticket/154

supathug
11-06-10, 12:55
Thanks for clearing that up Sic. The ticket has been open a while. Makes you think they are not that bothered or it is a real pain to fix. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Sicilian
13-06-10, 15:07
Just to let you know, the DVD player is now fully fixed in the VTI 1.3 images, testing atm, works really well, overall quite impressed with latest VTI1.3.

bobonthejob
14-06-10, 09:43
Nice one sic....thanks for the update. Havent tried VTI for a while. Might give it a bash to confirm.

supathug
30-06-10, 09:27
Hi Guys,

Spoke to Bob today - he reckons that the DVD player has been fixed in the latest version of PLi although the ticket for it seems to still say its unresolved. Can anyone confirm whether its working again or not?

Sicilian
30-06-10, 09:51
I had that it had been fixed also, in latest OpenPLi, just not had a chance to test.

supathug
30-06-10, 09:55
Cheers boss - Hmm - might have to test it out tonight then

supathug
04-07-10, 10:49
Sorry for the late reply on this guys. Uploaded the latest fully loaded PLi image and updated. DVD player works a treat! Great job by the PLi guys. Now....if only they could sort the media player out to play WMVHD