PDA

View Full Version : Picture quality

Red D
11-05-13, 14:33
I've a problem with my XP1000 picture quality... It's too 'shiny'. For example if a female newsreader has blonde hair, the edges of it go bright white and shiny on my screen. I've tried altering the brightness and contrast settings on my tv and played around with a new settings on the XP1000, but the problem persists.

I upgraded from an Openbox and the quality was perfect on that (Im using the same hdmi leads)

Anyone experienced anything similar? Problem with the box?

Rob van der Does
11-05-13, 16:04
Be aware that PQ is (partly/mostly?) appreciation (i.e. 'between the ears').
Furthermore: make sure that all settings in Video Enhancements Settings are set to neutral (128/256).

Larry-G
13-05-13, 16:38
Be aware that PQ is (partly/mostly?) appreciation (i.e. 'between the ears').
Furthermore: make sure that all settings in Video Enhancements Settings are set to neutral (128/256).

As rob says turn off any video enhancements you may have enabled on the TV, these are mostly there to lure people in with big bold, bright colours in the shops but in the home they are more a nuisance than any thing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

roystheboy
15-05-13, 08:19
hi guys did you solve your problem because I have got the same problem hope you can help cheers

Rob van der Does
15-05-13, 08:31
hi guys did you solve your problem because I have got the same problem hope you can help cheers
And you've tried the same solution as suggested I hope?

roystheboy
15-05-13, 18:53
I have had a look in my Sony TV to see if I can switch offf Video enhansment but cant find that option in there what do I do I am baffled thanks take care

Sicilian
16-05-13, 06:05
What do you have your resolution set to? 1080i or 1080p? Remember 1080p upscales, my preference would be 1080i.

roystheboy
16-05-13, 13:41
hi 1080i thats what I got it on should I try 720 what you think cheers

twol
16-05-13, 17:56
hi 1080i thats what I got it on should I try 720 what you think cheers

Providing you have a relatively new Sony, I can not believe that you don,t have some pre-sets for picture display.... If so and they have one for movies try that..... Its probably the closest to reality unless you can choose a calibrated set up.:)

roystheboy
16-05-13, 18:14
I choose movies and the pic goes darker then

bertybassett
02-06-13, 17:47
getting the same here too. nothing to do with TV image setting happens on 2 different TVs.

roystheboy
04-06-13, 06:57
Hi guys well I tried setting mine to movies in the TV menu and ajusted the contrast and brightness and it solved the problem mine is working fine now hope that helps chers

roystheboy
05-06-13, 09:07
sorry guys its back again dont know what else to do cheers

Sicilian
05-06-13, 09:12
No issues here, using 1080i, tested on 3x LCD TV's and 1x Plasma TV.

roystheboy
05-06-13, 18:22
Hi what is your settings on your TV Vivid picture or what because I still got it and its slowly doing my head in cheers take care

rebane
22-09-13, 14:26
Actually there is a problem with the receiver.
It's always easy to blame dumb user TV settings, but on the current occasion the video enhancement plugin messes up the picture.
Uninstalling the plugin solves the problem.

Rob van der Does
22-09-13, 17:33
Well, the fact that uninstalling the plugin fixes the issue for you, is proof of the fact that the settings you used were not adequate.

Having sad that: this really is a difficult area. Most TV's have default settings that are .....eeuuuhhhh how to say that politely..... far from optimal. So the first step should always be to make sure that all so-called 'video-enhancers' of the Tv have been set to off. This includes the xxxMhz option (if possible).
Next step is to turn of overscan.
Then all colours/brightness/contrast must be set to more or less neutral values.
Most TV's allow you to do the above steps per input.

Using the VideoEnhancement plugin is generally spoken not a good idea. At least not when a digital output is being used. Not using the plugin means that only the drivers are involved in PQ, and nothing else. And because of the fact that all image builders use the same drivers, there will never be a difference in PQ between images.

rebane
23-09-13, 08:30
Well, the fact that uninstalling the plugin fixes the issue for you, is proof of the fact that the settings you used were not adequate.

Having sad that: this really is a difficult area. Most TV's have default settings that are .....eeuuuhhhh how to say that politely..... far from optimal. So the first step should always be to make sure that all so-called 'video-enhancers' of the Tv have been set to off. This includes the xxxMhz option (if possible).
Next step is to turn of overscan.
Then all colours/brightness/contrast must be set to more or less neutral values.
Most TV's allow you to do the above steps per input.

Using the VideoEnhancement plugin is generally spoken not a good idea. At least not when a digital output is being used. Not using the plugin means that only the drivers are involved in PQ, and nothing else. And because of the fact that all image builders use the same drivers, there will never be a difference in PQ between images.
I use a calibrated plasma screen, STB vide enhancement settings were default.
It may sound strange, but on the current occasion the default settings vs uninstalling the plugin give different results.
Could be that some XP1000 receivers do not suffer from this issue.

Rob van der Does
23-09-13, 12:46
So you were able after all to establish the default values? Or did you delete them from the settings-file?

Anyway: as long as the defaults are used, the plugin does nothing at all. So it is impossible then that the PQ is affected.

rebane
24-09-13, 07:58
So you were able after all to establish the default values? Or did you delete them from the settings-file?
Anyway: as long as the defaults are used, the plugin does nothing at all. So it is impossible then that the PQ is affected.
I took a new receiver, flashed it (no additional plugins), left the video enh. plugin settings default and discovered a problem (before).
Then uninstalled the plugin (after). Before and after do differ.
As far as I understand, it is not an image related issue.
Sry if I missed your point.

Rob van der Does
24-09-13, 08:01
Indeed: if you checked it that way it looks like a driver issue.

jez
28-11-13, 21:28
I've had the same problem since I got the receiver also. It seems worse on live broadcasts for some reason. Bit annoying but still been more than happy with the box tbh

bmitie
06-12-13, 17:31
what image are you using and sorry if I missed that?