PDA

View Full Version : Internal and External Hard Drives

hhatkin
11-05-13, 13:04
Is anyone running their TM-2T with both?
Can a drive that's been used as internal be used as external and its recordings still be viewed that way?

judge
11-05-13, 14:02
Yes, it can.

hhatkin
11-05-13, 20:11
Thanks for the quick answer.
When I took out the drive and connected it externally in an enclosure by USB it was identified by the system but the only option was to Initialise it.
I took that to be for installation of a new drive, so can you say whether it is or not, and give any hints of how to access the existing recordings when external?
If anyone else looks in here the TM-2T is excellent, especially as a PVR.

judge
11-05-13, 21:08
You shouldn't need to initialise it again if it was already workin in the box.
Go to Menu -> Setup -> ViX -> Mount Manager
Is it listed there?
If so, just press the file list button & then yellow to switch between drives.

hhatkin
12-05-13, 16:38
Thanks for the instant reply - much appreciated.
Yes, I was assuming that Initialise is only for a new drive, and I'll now look in the right place:o for the files on the present one.

SoupKing
13-05-13, 09:05
and give any hints of how to access the existing recordings when external?

My internal recordings save as default to a folder called MOVIE - look and see if you have one still on there, it should be clear enough on the TM2 but pop it on your PC if you find it easier to explore the disk content.

I've never taken the internal disk out, but I have used int & ext HDD's at the same time - taken the external USB one on and off many times, filled it with TM2 content and other external content from PC & back again.

I've never lost a recording in the shuffles, I don't initialise, as the lads say above - I do pop into the VIX set-up area and check it mounted ok each time.

hhatkin
13-05-13, 12:54
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Yes the internal drive shows up on the Movie menu, and on the computer.
I've taken it out again, connected it externally and tried judge's "Menu -> Setup -> ViX -> Mount Manager" but the box is empty.
When I first connected it externally I found the location where it showed and gave the Initialsie option but now can't find that again.:o
Any further advice would be very welcome.

hhatkin
14-05-13, 21:01
The problem was caused by the enclosure being USB powered.
In a mains powered caddy the drive is recognised in VIX as mounted and works exactly the way it did as internal.
Isn't the TM-2T capable of powering a drive by USB?
And a further question - when there's an internal and an external drive how do you select between them for recording and playback?

judge
15-05-13, 01:04
any external drives should really have their own power source.
The USB slot is good enough for a USB stick, not for much else that needs more power.

when in file view, you can press yellow to switch between the HDDs if they are mounted correcty.

SoupKing
15-05-13, 11:02
any external drives should really have their own power source.
The USB slot is good enough for a USB stick, not for much else that needs more power.

when in file view, you can press yellow to switch between the HDDs if they are mounted correcty.

Interesting - I've ran a big 1TB external USB HDD on mine using one of the back USB slots for weeks, not suggesting your fundamentally wrong in general terms BTW just saying. I've got it rammed with video files now too and they are playing like a dream on the new VIX release (much better than x2 releases ago).

Rob van der Does
15-05-13, 11:14
OK, let's put it another way: USB-powering for HDD's is never a good idea (the same applies to PC's). If it works (flawless) you're just lucky.

hhatkin
15-05-13, 15:37
Thanks to all three.

I hadn't used a USB powered drive before but rather expected the TM-2T to work this one - no big deal though.