PDA

View Full Version : 3g router

biglolly
10-05-13, 01:59
i was just wondering if i could use a 3g router (sim card) with lan for my setup i have vu+duo would i still be able to get the data from the internet and would it fast enough to get the info from my server

judge
10-05-13, 02:07
'pay server' you are on the wrong forum, re-read the forum rules.

biglolly
10-05-13, 02:15
sorry edited post

biglolly
10-05-13, 19:25
i was just wondering if i could use a 3g router (sim card) with lan for my setup i have vu+duo would i still be able to get the data from the internet and would it fast enough to get the info from my server

x9moto
24-05-13, 20:02
you can send date to erm "a network" via the mobile network, I have unlimited internet with a certain mobile provider using a cell phone and because our boxes use Linux they don't trip the tether blocking that most networks employ (because they all look for windows signatures).

however most handsets and I assume 3g dongles have a delay while the 3g or hspa switches on and connects, and then turns off again (when data is sent) this causes slow response times usually in the region of 900ms, but if one were to use a terminal emulater to ping google (or any other public website of your choice) every 1second and also sent a 1 byte packet (just so happens android emulator can do this) the hspa or 3g connection is held open and the delay time is removed.

with the above in operation I get a consistent 200ms response (fast enough) and the data usage is tiny, also my signal strength is usually 1 bar so im not in a good area either, someone in a city should be able to do this no problem, I have used plugins and I player on the box with no problem.

Mat