PDA

View Full Version : Can't flash my Solo beyond Vix 2.4.96 - Help needed

tiptop1
08-05-13, 20:00
Hello Guys

I bought an original VU+ Solo from these forums a couple of weeks ago and it came installed with an old Blackhole image.

I thought I would upgrade it to the newer images, however, it doesn't matter whichever recent image I use, the image is flashed from the USB drive ok as the flashing green light comes on. But when I turn off the box, take out the usb drive and turn on again, all I get is a blank screen on the tv.

After quite a few panics about bricking my Solo, I managed to get the Vix 2.4.96 image installed after updating the boot loader to cfe_solo_2.0. This image is ok but as soon as I install the CCcam and reboot, it gets stuck in a loop. Apparently this is known problem.

What do I need to do to upgrade to the latest images? Is there some knowledge I am missing?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Trial
08-05-13, 20:04
Hi,
after you updated your bootloader recent images should work too.

ciao

Larry-G
08-05-13, 20:08
As Trial says with the latest bootloader flashed to the receiver it should now be fine with all of the latest images. go to www.openvix.co.uk and try ViX 3.0-656 to see if it loads that, dont load build 658 as thats known to be faulty for the solo but should be fixed for build 660 when it is released.

tiptop1
08-05-13, 20:15
Thanks for the super fast response. I will try the suggested image and report back.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

tiptop1
08-05-13, 22:39
Okay. Tried it with the recommended image and it seems to flash ok but when I reboot the box I just get a blank screen and a green led on the box.

Trial
08-05-13, 22:44
Hi,
what´s on the display and have you tried SCART?

ciao

judge
08-05-13, 23:03
What sale thread did you buy it in? did you ensure it wasn't a clone before buying?

tiptop1
08-05-13, 23:17
Bought it from this thread

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27914-decent-linux-OS-satellite-box

Although, not stated in thread, the seller did confirm via PM that it was genuine and hence my purchase.

I will try the scart or S video cable tomorrow.

judge
08-05-13, 23:29
Seriously hope it's not a clone mate, but all sale details should be kept in public until a sale is agreed for a reason.
£90 still sounds a bit cheap for a second hand original VU box.
Not saying it is a clone, but there are pics on the site somewhere that might help you find out.
Also, might be worth looking here
http://www.vuplus.com/pressNewsContent.htm?idx=37&pagenum=2 & here
http://www.vuplus.com/pressNewsContent.htm?idx=38&pagenum=2
If it does turn out to be a clone, let us know.

tiptop1
09-05-13, 08:45
Tried it with scart and the yellow component cable but still shows blank screen. I was hoping it might just work.

I am going to go through different images tonight and see which ones work.

I will also take a look at your links for spotting clones.

Just want to get up and running.

tiptop1
11-05-13, 21:35
Hello guys

Just wanted to give you an update on this. My new box I bought from the for sale section is a clone.

The links above were spot on but I got a sinking feeling as soon as I took a closer look at the top of the box and it had a little sticker on it saying only update firmware from "vuplushd.tv". This was one of the things I had read elsewhere. As you can see from the photo, the inside of the cover is black instead of gray, the back connectors are red instead of black and several other points on the board are different.

I shall contact the seller and see if he is interested in honouring a return as I wouldn't have paid this much for a clone and he expressly stated that it was an original.

judge
11-05-13, 21:46
Yeah, any box with a sticker like that on it is bound to be a clone.
Has he replied to any of your emaols or PMs since?

tiptop1
12-05-13, 07:43
No, I sent him a pm on Friday and not had anything back.

Hopefully he will at least reply and admit he made a mistake otherwise I don't think we will see him on these forums again.

Stanman
12-05-13, 22:17
If he does not respond, you have contact details and a phone call to trading standard should help.

tiptop1
14-05-13, 14:14
He hasn't responded to my PMs. And I don't expect him to now.

I haven't got any contact details as I rushed into the sale as it seemed too much of a faff to ask him to setup a for sale thread.

The box is up and running now. Just feel cheated as I was after a genuine solo.

burridge
17-05-13, 16:10
He hasn't responded to my PMs. And I don't expect him to now.

I haven't got any contact details as I rushed into the sale as it seemed too much of a faff to ask him to setup a for sale thread.

The box is up and running now. Just feel cheated as I was after a genuine solo.

Hi, Ive been in hospital for a few days thats why I couldn't reply, when I used the blackhole genuine solo plugin in said the box was genuine I have offered tiptop a full refund when he returns the box to me

Larry-G
17-05-13, 21:42
Hi, Ive been in hospital for a few days thats why I couldn't reply, when I used the blackhole genuine solo plugin in said the box was genuine I have offered tiptop a full refund when he returns the box to me

Thanks for keeping us informed, frankly that keep the love plugin is rather useless as it reports clones as genuine way to often.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

judge
17-05-13, 22:20
also, the sticker on the box should have been a dead give away...

burridge
18-05-13, 13:20
also, the sticker on the box should have been a dead give away...

Hi. I bought this box from an eb*y dealer (£145) it came preloaded with blackhole image and worked perfectly for 3 months so I did not suspect it wasn't genuine I thought the sticker was to prevent the lid being opened and voiding the g/tee

tiptop1
19-05-13, 10:56
Hello

Just wanted to confirm that we have agreed a way forward with the sale. I want to thank Burridge for his professional manner in dealing with the problem. I would certainly deal with him again.

Thanks

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 11:12
Just wanted to confirm that we have agreed a way forward with the sale. I want to thank Burridge for his professional manner in dealing with the problem. I would certainly deal with him again.
OK, good to hear that what seemed to be a big problem has been solved between you two!