PDA

View Full Version : pro's & con's of these boxes

hawaythelad
08-05-13, 19:41
I am looking to get a new box for my stepdad which one do you recommend I have a vu+duo. since I have put the cache cleaner on mine it has stopped freezing all of the time but it dose freeze occasionally still.

but what are the these boxes like.

Technomate TM-2T Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver

Technomate TM-Twin-OE Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver

VU+ Solo 2 Twin Tuner DVB-S2 HD Enigma2 Linux Satellite Receiver

VU+ Duo Twin Tuner HD PVR DVB-S2 Enigma2 Satellite Receiver

GiGaBlue HD QUAD Linux Enigma 2 HD PVR Satellite Receiver 2x DVB-S/S2 + 2x Plug & Play Tuner Slots

BubbleBalls
09-05-13, 01:01
My limited knowledge - I have a Duo and a GB quad.

From reading this site the tm2t awaits driver updates to correct timer recording. Otherwise people are happy with it. I am on the fence on whether to recommend this to friends.

Duo - owned nearly a year. From Ireland I have used USB tuner with not much success. Sat tuners have been spot on. Swapfile with Cacheflush have totally removed box freeze (I don't use the USB anymore - stream from GB Quad) excellent box once you know your requirements.

Quad. Again an excellent kit. Handles well and quickly. I cannot fault it but GB did sell it as GB lan - this does not effect me - and a USB adapter may be available if you contact GB. Users are also awaiting official Plug and play sat tuners. If using Airplayer or Ondemand the Quad will not output 5.1 sound though stereo is fine. Again, driver related.

Of the two I own I prefer the Quad, hands down, but I suggest you follow all threads on the boxes you listed as each are unique. If you know what your stepdad wants/expects you will pluck info from the threads. If your stepdad is a little tech savvy he may not be disappointed by any of the listed boxes.

Tapatalker

judge
09-05-13, 01:47
My limited knowledge - I have a Duo and a GB quad.

From reading this site the tm2t awaits driver updates to correct timer recording. Otherwise people are happy with it. I am on the fence on whether to recommend this to friends.

Yes, all current E2 TM boxes require driver updates, if you want to just watch one channel & record another, they're great boxes. If you want to use all E2 features, the current drivers are a let down but are being activly worked on.
In it's current state, I wouldn't recommend one but that could easily be fixed any time soon

Duo - owned nearly a year. From Ireland I have used USB tuner with not much success. Sat tuners have been spot on. Swapfile with Cacheflush have totally removed box freeze (I don't use the USB anymore - stream from GB Quad) excellent box once you know your requirements.

Using a DUO in Ireland with a USB stick (Nova-T), the only issues I've ever noticed have been PTS issues, no longer have a duo to test new TS code on though but presume all should be fine for saorview?
Works fine here on Solo2, TM don't currently support USB-T sticks, please enable debug logs, start a new thread & upload them here when you have an issue.

Of the two I own I prefer the Quad, hands down, but I suggest you follow all threads on the boxes you listed as each are unique. If you know what your stepdad wants/expects you will pluck info from the threads. If your stepdad is a little tech savvy he may not be disappointed by any of the listed boxes.

If I was buying a box for my stepdad, I'd currently go with the Solo2.

BubbleBalls
09-05-13, 14:41
"Using a DUO in Ireland with a USB stick (Nova-T), the only issues I've ever noticed have been PTS issues, no longer have a duo to test new TS code on though but presume all should be fine for saorview?
Works fine here on Solo2, TM don't currently support USB-T sticks, please enable debug logs, start a new thread & upload them here when you have an issue."

Thanks judge, I have a Nova TD. I moved the Duo to the bedroom so am not wired yet for Saorview - might set it up the weekend. I stopped using it because it regularly froze the Duo when switching from DTT to Sat. Can't remember the exact details but I will set it up again and enable Debug logs.
Cheers.

Tapatalker

nipperlocko
09-05-13, 16:03
I have the technomate twin-oe, it runs like a dream but not on the present images, I use build 385 with no problems at all

Larry-G
09-05-13, 16:33
I have the technomate twin-oe, it runs like a dream but not on the present images, I use build 385 with no problems at all

both my TM's run perfectly fine on the latest images, it's only when making multiple recordings that it fails due to the drivers, other than this i can not honestly fault mine.

stick50jr
19-05-13, 07:43
Thanks judge, I have a Nova TD. I moved the Duo to the bedroom so am not wired yet for Saorview - might set it up the weekend. I stopped using it because it regularly froze the Duo when switching from DTT to Sat. Can't remember the exact details but I will set it up again and enable Debug logs.
Cheers.

Tapatalker

I also use a dual usb dvb-t tuner with Vix and Vu+Duo (as per signature detail)... CacheFlush plugin has improved stability massively, I recommend it.

BubbleBalls
19-05-13, 09:25
I also use a dual usb dvb-t tuner with Vix and Vu+Duo (as per signature detail)... CacheFlush plugin has improved stability massively, I recommend it.
Thanks stick, I have cacheflush and swapfile installed - though I think I installed cache flush after I stopped using the Nova. Still need to run a new cable from the ariel but will definitely set this up again based on judge and your feedback.

thanks again.

garyblas
19-05-13, 10:13
What does the cacheflush do ? I have a duo but dont really see it freezing much.
Also is the cacheflush in the plugins?

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 10:27
I have a duo but dont really see it freezing much.
'Not much' means you do experience it. And that's not good.

garyblas
19-05-13, 11:03
'Not much' means you do experience it. And that's not good.

So what is the benefit and pitfalls of installing cacheflush?

Rob van der Does
19-05-13, 11:10
The DUO is a box that's rather low on memory. When using much memory hungry items, such as large EPG-imports, the box can run into problems. Activating a swap-file can help for that.
Also the DUO is suspected to have memory-leaks (driver related); therefore the cacheflush plugin can be a solution (in fact it's a work-around; set it to work every 30 mins).

garyblas
19-05-13, 11:23
ok done but auto set to 30 mins.... are following settings ok they are default

BubbleBalls
23-06-13, 23:56
Using a DUO in Ireland with a USB stick (Nova-T), the only issues I've ever noticed have been PTS issues, no longer have a duo to test new TS code on though but presume all should be fine for saorview?
Works fine here on Solo2, TM don't currently support USB-T sticks, please enable debug logs, start a new thread & upload them here when you have an issue.

Fair play judge and stick. It took a little longer than I thought but I finally wired Saorview to the Duo again. With Cachflush and swapfile it has been great - really improved on the last time I used it for Saorview (regular freeze). Having the USB tuner unstable was one of the reasons I bought a Quad, but so far so good on the Duo. It is now working how I wanted it to work to begin with. A lot of new, more powerful boxes have been released but the Duo still delivers:)

Thank you

Foxylady
24-06-13, 08:40
I have had a duo for 2 year approx and all i can say is no need for the fancy 3 4 tuner boxes or something that really fast on bootup etc as the duo is perfect in everyway plus a cheaper price than newer boxes BUT with relaibility, stability.
I personally have mine connected via ethernet on virgin on 60meg always have done.
Any images i do fresh reflash.
Picons and epg stored on external usb, internal hard drive only used for ondemand or recording which i do not do much off.
Easy to setup, modifiy boots etc, does not suffer from any freezing at all UNLESS bad weather which is standard on sly dishes, but not often for i personally but it does happen when bad rain and winds only.
Never used the cache prog you mention, well never heard of it til now as not needed, but i will infact install it now to see if any benefits for my personal use of the duo.
I only recently used the swapfile as i installed the very nice mymetrix skin and box would only crash if i saved any changes.
As adviced by other member, since install of this it never crashes on skin changes on mymetrix.
I would always recommend the DUO and will buy in future another if this failed mechanically as no need for newer boxes.
The duo does alot for what i need and for your stepfather would be a cracking introduction, with updates, nice community support here for the duo, you can not go wrong.
Best wishes

Rob van der Does
24-06-13, 09:11
Please don't forget that the DUO is now a really old box and the amount of flash and RAM is not sufficient for many tasks.
The price of the Solo2 is really very low (and hardly any more then for old boxes).
Regarding reliability there is really no problem to be expected: VU+ always built very good hardware and I still have to find the first flaw in any of them. Alongside the UNO, DUO and Ultimo, my Solo2 is running without any problem for some 6 months.