PDA

View Full Version : how does the new receiver know where the dish is pointing

robti
07-05-13, 11:52
Hi at the moment i have an old 6800 running a 1m motorised dish with a dark motor, now i am nearly ready to upgrade (can't make my mind up over the TM-2 or a solo2, will say the TM as its this section) and wondered how you would set the new receiver up, would i just point the dish onto a sat (say 28.2E) and then switch receivers over or what ?

Thanks

Robert

Larry-G
07-05-13, 11:57
That depends on what motor your using, USALS would be the most common nowadays, but your motor would need to be USALS compatible for example a motor like the TM2600 is ideal for such setups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Satellites_Automatic_Location_System

Rob van der Does
07-05-13, 11:57
TM-2 and Solo2 are very, very different boxes. You can hardly compare the two.

robti
07-05-13, 12:08
TM-2 and Solo2 are very, very different boxes. You can hardly compare the two.
Thanks thats why i said the TM-2 for instance.

Tha motor i have, is set up with usals but would i need to tell the receiver just my co-ordinates and which sat its at or is it a full new set up for the usals?

Thanks

Robert

TK4|2|1
07-05-13, 13:04
You put your co-ordinates into new box, issue goto 0 command, then you're good to go.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

robti
07-05-13, 15:43
You put your co-ordinates into new box, issue goto 0 command, then you're good to go.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

Sorry just can't get my head round this how does it know where to go to, e,g how does it know where it is pointing when i have just plugged it in does it pick up a signal from whatever sat i am pointing at and with the co-ordinates works it out.

This will be my first up grade of receiver since setting my system up

Thanks

Robert

Larry-G
07-05-13, 15:54
Sorry just can't get my head round this how does it know where to go to, e,g how does it know where it is pointing when i have just plugged it in does it pick up a signal from whatever sat i am pointing at and with the co-ordinates works it out.

This will be my first up grade of receiver since setting my system up

Thanks

Robert

If the dish and motor are already setup so that its 0 point is true south as would be the case if you have used it with another receiver, all you have to do is send the motor to 0 and the new receiver only needs the correct geographical co-ordinates to work out where to go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hhatkin
07-05-13, 22:48
can't make my mind up over the TM-2If you have some requirement for the two tuners then go for it.
You'd set up the motor the way you did on the 6800, and use the TM-2T menu for that, but your dish and LNB will work only one tuner.

abu baniaz
08-05-13, 03:48
Robert

Stop worrying about how it does it, just concern yourself about what you need to do.

In your tuner config, set is as simple, motorised and enter your co-ordinates. It will work out where it needs to go by itself. Thats all there is to USALS for all recievers.