PDA

View Full Version : Lost all recordings.

taximonkey
05-05-13, 21:13
Hi I have a Xtrend ET9200 and for some reason I have suddenly lost all my recordings, almost a years worth.
I had a Western Digital Green WD20EARS 2TB installed and I believe it was just around the half way full stage.
My box freezes up and locks intermittently every 2 or 3 weeks and I have never found out whats been causing this but this time after a freeze all my recordings have disappeared with it.
Have contacted world of satellite several times about the lockups and tried the box without the hard drive and disconnecting cables and using different cables etc etc etc but it still keeps doing it.
The drive is listed in the sticky as a compatible drive.
Strange!!

judge
05-05-13, 23:19
I'd doubt you lost any recordings.
Can you go to Menu -> Setup -> ViX -> Mount manager & let us know if the HDD is showing? and if so, how is it mounted?
Also have you ever installed TSPanel?

taximonkey
06-05-13, 22:02
I've already taken the drive out of the 9200 thinking everything was lost and swapped it with a 1tb of the same make that was in a Windows PC. The drive was definitely showing as empty.
Unfortunately I've formatted the 2tb to use with Windows.
The 1tb that's now in the box is showing up as follows;
Hard Disk WDCWD10EADS-00M, Size 976.61GB, Mount Media/HDD, Device /dev/sda1, Type ext4 R/W. I installed the 2tb the same way so the info on that drive would have been the same.
The only difference is when I installed the 2tb into the box I had to jumper 2 of the pins otherwise the box would not boot. The 1tb just boots without any jumper.
Not installed TSpanel as World of satellite told me not to install any plugins while trying to find out why the box keeps locking up.
Thanks.

pooface
06-05-13, 22:44
I've already taken the drive out of the 9200 thinking everything was lost and swapped it with a 1tb of the same make that was in a Windows PC. The drive was definitely showing as empty.
Unfortunately I've formatted the 2tb to use with Windows.
The 1tb that's now in the box is showing up as follows;
Hard Disk WDCWD10EADS-00M, Size 976.61GB, Mount Media/HDD, Device /dev/sda1, Type ext4 R/W. I installed the 2tb the same way so the info on that drive would have been the same.
The only difference is when I installed the 2tb into the box I had to jumper 2 of the pins otherwise the box would not boot. The 1tb just boots without any jumper.
Not installed TSpanel as World of satellite told me not to install any plugins while trying to find out why the box keeps locking up.
Thanks.

On a Windows machine, a hdd from any Linux box that was initialized in the box will appear empty, as it's in ext3/4 format which Windows cannot recognise natively... however, if you'd booted up to slax Linux or parted magic and connected the hdd, You'd likely have seen all recordings available...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

taximonkey
06-05-13, 23:11
No I meant the drive showed empty on the 9200 which is why I assumed all recordings lost. This shouldn't have happened though !

judge
06-05-13, 23:19
The drive would show up empty if it didn't mount for whatever reason.
I still seriously doubt it was actually empty though, just a pity you reformatted it now.

pooface
07-05-13, 07:16
No I meant the drive showed empty on the 9200 which is why I assumed all recordings lost. This shouldn't have happened though !

As judge said, off it didn't mount for whatever reason, it would show empty, as it would show the folder which is created for the mount to go to...

If in future you have problems where it looks empty, go to mount manager first and check that the drive is mounted. Also, go to telnet and type "mount". This will list all mounted devices... if it does show up, then you can type "df -u" to confirm it is correct drive and is actually empty...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

taximonkey
08-05-13, 23:12
OK thanks for your help guys, if only I hadn't reformatted the drive.-(

manikm
12-05-13, 10:15
this is the TSPANEL causing this!!! do not install it.
i had to do the same, i had every BOND movie in HD recorded, but lost it all

Larry-G
12-05-13, 10:20
TSpanel would not wipe the drive or at least i have not heard any reports of it doing so, but it is well known to cause issues with mount points, so it would have appeared that your drive was empty if it was not mounted properly.

as has been said many times TSpanel is a very poorly coded plugin and causes way more issues than it solves, it's best to keep away from TSpanel when using ViX or any OE-Alliance or Pli based image.

manikm
12-05-13, 10:28
maybe he thought they were wiped, as thats how it appeared to me. the disk wouldnt even reformat properly, had to do it via PC

Rob van der Does
12-05-13, 10:48
Maybe he thought they were wiped, as that's how it appeared to me.
That is possible indeed: if the mountpoints are incorrect, a folder in flash can be mounted as HDD, hence having no recordings at all.

The disk wouldn't even reformat properly, I had to do it via PC
That's no good then. I would re-initialize via the box to get the filesystem using the correct parameters.