PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback 2 x VU+ Duos? Run all 4 tuners via 1 box?

Osamo1956
02-05-13, 15:59
I've been dreaming of a 4 tuner (4 x DVB-S2) ...sigh.
Dare'nt tell her-indoors! :sofahide:
So here's my newbee question:
I have the chance of buying a used Duo.
So, could I piggyback it to my existing Duo? ...effectively having quad tuners?
And 'if' so, can I drive it all as a single unit via the master box?
Feel free to shoot me down in flames :) Cheers.

Stanman
02-05-13, 16:02
You can share the tuners and there is a plugin in the downloads to enable this.

Pooface uses it andmay be able to shed more light.

pooface
02-05-13, 17:01
There are a few others using a similar setup I have read about...

What you'd be looking to do is use the remotechannelstream (or something like that) plugin. This would create a set of channels on the box that are a mirror of the other box...

This is the closest you will get to getting what you want. So, you'd have to have all channels duplicated in effect... I don't use it to try and increase the number of channels on a single box. I use it to test a box which has no sat feed to it... So, it uses the sat feed from another box to provide tv for my testing...

Osamo1956
02-05-13, 17:01
Thanks Pooface, I'll look into it futher.
Quite enjoying learning this stuff. Definitely not straightforward (for me at least) but I like a challenge :)

Osamo1956
03-05-13, 09:19
Forum ethic question:
While looking into my 'piggyback' project, I've found some info via ...((I'm sorry)) ...another forum.
Can I copy & paste the text to show everyone? ...or add a link?
Just thought I'd better check. Thanks.

Rob van der Does
03-05-13, 10:18
What I would do is:
1- Use RemoteChannelConverter to create remote bouquets on your master box;
2- Add (a number of) those channels as 'alternative' for channels on the masterbox.

In this setup you can use the masterbox as normal: if any of the channels of the box is not available (due to recordings/streaming) the box will use one of the alternatives.
So this is very close to a 4-tuner box.

Osamo1956
03-05-13, 11:59
Thank you Rob,
I will try it. Your description sounds like an excellent compromise. That would suit my needs perfectly.
Once I've got the second box I'll report back.
:thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
03-05-13, 14:05
Thank you Rob,
I will try it. Your description sounds like an excellent compromise. That would suit my needs perfectly.
Once I've got the second box I'll report back.
:thumbsup:
And please report back on any anomalies you might encounter using alternative-channels. Recently in ViX there have been some amendments to the use of alternative channels (e.g. in AutoTimer): if you encounter problems we might be able to fix them.