PDA

View Full Version : Updating to the latest build?

misiokicio
29-04-13, 13:49
Just notes there is a new update 3.0-653. but it states that the latest release is unstable via online update... is it safe just to download the image, put it usb stick and flash it? is that gonna overwrite the last image and all settings would be gone? I've done backup of the image... dont fancy to loose all settings, softcams, and everything else...

judge
29-04-13, 14:11
If you've done a backup on a recent build, you can easily restore it on a new flash.
Downloading the image or updating online will make no difference.
Also, all builds are marked as unstable, doesn't really mean they are, just that they haven't been fully tested yet.

josh_g
29-04-13, 14:11
it would be best to update it from the box its self in the menu and it will make an image back up for you in case anything does go wrong.

releases are set to unstable until confirmed otherwise but as its the latest build its always worth using as it has many improvements and bug fixes

EDIT... beat me to it judge:cool:

misiokicio
29-04-13, 14:21
cheers guys, i am gonna do it later on, time for work again:(

Stanman
29-04-13, 14:53
Latest releases will be unstable as Andy is working on recoding PTS.

Larry-G
29-04-13, 16:45
Just notes there is a new update 3.0-653. but it states that the latest release is unstable via online update... is it safe just to download the image, put it usb stick and flash it? is that gonna overwrite the last image and all settings would be gone? I've done backup of the image... dont fancy to loose all settings, softcams, and everything else...

The reason I posted that is so that users who want to update to a known stable image could as 654 and 655 contain changes to PTS ( Permanent time shift ) which needed serious testing.

Also as pointed out above, all images are automatically classed as unstable until proven otherwise, this is a precautionary measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

londonjohn
30-04-13, 09:47
I have build 649 on my Solo2. When I go to setting/software update there is nothing to update. How do I go to 653? Is it a different menu or can I not do an online update?

Thanks for help (newbie to Vix/Solo2).

josh_g
30-04-13, 09:56
you need to alow untable updates im not at my box so cant tell you how to get there :rolleyes:

londonjohn
30-04-13, 09:58
Ah! I guess there's a screen where I need to press MENU that will show that option? Maybe on the settings screen? (I'm not at the box either right now).

drx360
30-04-13, 09:59
I have build 649 on my Solo2. When I go to setting/software update there is nothing to update. How do I go to 653? Is it a different menu or can I not do an online update?

Thanks for help (newbie to Vix/Solo2).

have you got it set to allow unstable updates?

you can check menu/setup/system/software update, allow unstable updates

londonjohn
30-04-13, 10:13
I didn't set that, so I guess the default is no to unstable updates. Will have a play when I get home with how to enable this option.

wazy
30-04-13, 12:36
I updated last night to latest dev build and noticed that the < and > history buttons now require a long hold to work!??

Rob van der Does
30-04-13, 12:47
..... latest dev build .....
Please, state the build number: 'the latest' doesn't mean very much.

wazy
30-04-13, 13:20
Sorry forgot that, its 655

Rob van der Does
30-04-13, 14:05
And 656 is the actual build.

misiokicio
30-04-13, 19:06
ok guys, updated to this latest 656, all good so far, was worry about settings etc, no probs, straight forward and no hassle at all, thanks again

Larry-G
30-04-13, 19:11
ok guys, updated to this latest 656, all good so far, was worry about settings etc, no probs, straight forward and no hassle at all, thanks again

Thanks, it's nice to know every thing went fine for you.

It's a good idea to get in the habit of creating a regular settings backup or image backup once every week or so, or enable the options for the box to create them automatically when updating, so if something does go wrong you can restore to a working image in a few minutes.

irfyd
11-05-13, 14:04
Hi how do i update the solo2 to latest drivers vuplus-dvb-modules-vusolo2-3.3.8-4.4.3-20130508.tar.gz im currently on build 658.

I tried putting files into /lib/modules/3.3.6-1.2/extra/ Overwrite files so new ones remained...rebooted box but got stuck on starting. Whatam i doing wrong? Do i need to do kernel update? if so how ?

Any help greatly appreciated..thanx

judge
11-05-13, 14:10
Yes, you need a kernel update.
Either do an online update or wait till build 664 is available on the download server.

irfyd
11-05-13, 14:21
Yes, you need a kernel update.
Either do an online update or wait till build 664 is available on the download server.

Thanx judge when new build 664 is available is it best to do full flash via usb or is online update sufficient. prob best to wait dont wanna end up brickin solo2. Online update is offline or unstable at the mo.
My two issues are "tune failed" time to time & noticed AGC still stuck on 40%

judge
11-05-13, 14:38
Release announcements are made for a reason & should really be read before updating...
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21343-OpenViX-3-0-updates-and-changelogs&p=213072&viewfull=1#post213072

Rob van der Does
11-05-13, 15:53
My two issues are "tune failed" time to time & noticed AGC still stuck on 40%
That won't be fixed by any update at all.
I suggest to have a thorough look at your dish-alignment/cables/connections/switches.

dogboy
12-05-13, 10:20
Release announcements are made for a reason & should really be read before updating...
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21343-OpenViX-3-0-updates-and-changelogs&p=213072&viewfull=1#post213072

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm a little confused, does this mean we won't be able to upgrade a Vu+ Solo2 from 649 [stable] to the latest build, without doing a fresh flash and losing all our settings?

Or is it possible to do an upgrade to the latest image and then restore settings from a previous image backup?

Thanks!

Nick

Larry-G
12-05-13, 10:23
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm a little confused, does this mean we won't be able to upgrade a Vu+ Solo2 from 649 [stable] to the latest build, without doing a fresh flash and losing all our settings?

Or is it possible to do an upgrade to the latest image and then restore settings from a previous image backup?

Thanks!

Nick

you can but as the new image contains a new linux kernel and drivers it could cause issues with any number of things in the image, it is always recommended that you perform a fresh flash when moving between kernel versions for the stability of the image and receiver in question. you can still backup any important files such as your cam configuration files but you would need to reinstall any plugins used.

irfyd
12-05-13, 10:35
That won't be fixed by any update at all.
I suggest to have a thorough look at your dish-alignment/cables/connections/switches.

The tune failed issue i agree could be related to dish alignment. But ive heard the AGC issue is driver related. My mate also has solo2 and his AGC is also low on all chans. Vu not in any kinda rush to fix AGC issue as it doesnt affect performance. I enabled to allow unstable updates. Now on 664 seems ok if i get the tune failed again will have to get dish checked out.

Rob van der Does
12-05-13, 10:42
The 'AGC issue' is only cosmetic: it relates to an utterly unimportant read-out and has no relation with the performance of the tuner. Use the SNR-value instead.