PDA

View Full Version : I need help updating firmware etc, please.

kanwar
23-04-13, 23:20
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum so please excuse my ignorance.

I have recently had a TM-2T satellite receiver installed (by a local person) and would like some help updating the software.

The reason I ask is because I have tried updating as shown on here but it doesn't seem to work that way on my box!

I have had a couple of issues with my current setup. Firstly, certain program descriptions are not showing up properly e.g. "$$3ghyt,lskljs" instead of "Match of the day". This is only with certain channels when one uses the arrow buttons on the remote to look at channels further and behind the one that one currently is.

Secondly, the youtube app doesn't seem to work. It keeps saying 'this video is not available!.

I have spoken to the guy who installed the receiver (with aerial etc) and he is currently very busy but says he will be around next week to install new 'software' (I assume he means firmware) which should fix these two issues.

I would like to do it myself, If i can but I have encountered the following problem.

There is no 'software update' in menu, satup, system rather there is another option which backs the system up first, and then says 'Your PC must be connected to the receiver' and asks if I want to go ahead and shut the receiver (I'm assuming it wants something installed at that point). I am also told to go to a .de website for further instructions.

This has left me rather confused. Can someone help please?!

I would be very grateful. Thank you.

judge
23-04-13, 23:26
Do you know what image & build your TM-2T is currently using?
Menu > Information -> About might show you these details.
Did the installer also sell you a channel/package deal?

kanwar
24-04-13, 19:15
Do you know what image & build your TM-2T is currently using?
Menu > Information -> About might show you these details.
Did the installer also sell you a channel/package deal?

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Here is the info from the about section:

Hardware : TM2TOE
Micom version: 108
Image: Openpli 2.1
Kernel Version: 3.1.1
Enigma: Nov 9 2012

(There were a few other things which I have omitted).

abu baniaz
24-04-13, 21:30
You are using the 4D image.

Here is the guide to flash.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23846-How-to-USB-flash-upgrade-Technomate-TM-2T

Read the following guide (ignoring the flashing section). It will help you get around the image.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide

kanwar
24-04-13, 23:02
You are using the 4D image.

Here is the guide to flash.

Read the following guide (ignoring the flashing section). It will help you get around the image.

Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though. Which parts do I have to do? Just the flashing?

Updating firmware does not change your channel setup etc, does it?

Can you also tell me more about the '4D' image? What's the difference between this and the other images. Thank you very much.

Larry-G
24-04-13, 23:05
Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though. Which parts do I have to do? Just the flashing?

Also, the guy who installed it has given me a subscription for channels too. Updating firmware etc does not change that, does it?

Can you also tell me more about the '4D' image? What's the difference between this and the other images. Thank you very much.

We are not a cardsharing friendly forum, I very strongly suggest you read the forum rules you agreed to when you created your account here before you make any further posts.

if i see any more mention of CS or other methods of obtaining paid TV channels illegally i will close the thread.

kanwar
24-04-13, 23:12
We are not a cardsharing friendly forum, I very strongly suggest you read the forum rules you agreed to when you created your account here before you make any further posts.

if i see any more mention of CS or other methods of obtaining paid TV channels illegally i will close the thread.

I understand. I have just re-read the rules.

abu baniaz
24-04-13, 23:27

Updating firmware does not change your channel setup etc, does it?

If you flash a new type of image, all your settings will be gone including the CCcam.cfg to read the card in your receiver. Best to save them first. You can save your existing channel list using Dreamboxedit/Dreamset and send back after flashing a new image. Although you can also use Auto Bouquet Manager, Lraizer's Auto bouquets to make channel lists for you.

The 4D image is the one that TM release by default when they sell a linux receiver. You should note that they have released an image on OpenPLI 3.0 now. Other image teams also make the images for the TM range of new generation of receivers. Sif Team, AAF are other images. Try them and and see which one you like.

judge
24-04-13, 23:49
thread is seriously bordering on site rules...
sorry for going off topic but abu, have you tested latest 4D images for recordig issues? are the drivers used any better than the ones we currently use in the ViX image?

abu baniaz
25-04-13, 00:54
There has been only one PLI 3.0 image by the 4D team. It is fine but needs refining. There is no direct way of the image users to communicate with image makers.

I am afraid that the 4d image on 05/04/2013 has the recording problem.

kanwar
25-04-13, 01:16
There has been only one PLI 3.0 image by the 4D team. It is fine but needs refining. There is no direct way of the image users to communicate with image makers.

I am afraid that the 4d image on 05/04/2013 has the recording problem.

What is this recording problem of which you speak? Is it when it records itself randomly, as I have had that but it seems OK now (probably my fault).

Which one is generally accepted as the best one, liked by most users of this receiver?

abu baniaz
25-04-13, 01:28
What is this recording problem of which you speak? Is it when it records itself randomly, as I have had that but it seems OK now (probably my fault).

Which one is generally accepted as the best one, liked by most users of this receiver?

The recording topic is here
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27097-Big-trooble-with-recordings-via-timer-epg
The workaround is to have a zap timer before the record timer. (Cortesy of the man with orange glasses).

In terms of best image, it is up to user preferance. Try them and stick to them one you prefer. I have stayed with Vix on the Twin as the Missus/kids are used to it. It is very user friendly.

kanwar
27-04-13, 23:45
This dreambox edit sounds like a headache. I still don't know what to do, to be honest. I just want to replace the crap image that I have with the latest VIX imade (as you have mentioned). Simple steps are needed please and the links provided don't seem to be that.

My current image is giving both recording problems and funny symbols.

judge
27-04-13, 23:53
So, you have downloaded the image & extracted it to your USB stick?
If so, power down your TM2T, insert the USB stick (I use front USB slot)
Power up the box, on the VFD & on your TV, you will see a message, something like 'Updates found, press OK to update'
Press the ok button on the front of the box.
Sit back and wait 3 or 4 minutes.
A message will display on the VFD & TV saying flashing is complete.
Remove the USB stick & reboot the box using the power rocker on the back.

When the box boots back up, you will be greeted with the FIW (First Install Wizard) where you set-up the box.

kanwar
02-05-13, 12:34
OK guys I've managed to flash the latest vix image from openvix.co.uk and I like the set-up but I am having a few problems:

1. When the box starts up it doesn't automatically go onto a channel, it hangs on the blue screen and you have to change channels for it to start displaying video. Is this normal? I have tried restarting the box etc but to no avail.

2. I can't seem to forward/rewind/stop Live TV any more. This is very strange. I can still forward/rewind programs I have recorded. There is plenty of space on the HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.

abu baniaz
02-05-13, 17:20
You will need to enable permanent timeshift if you want to rewind live TV. However, the PTS is being worked on so may not be as good as it was a while back.

josh_g
02-05-13, 17:24
if you follow the guide that abu posted and also in my sig it will explain how to set up the box from scratch including getting PTS to work

kanwar
06-05-13, 15:39
if you follow the guide that abu posted and also in my sig it will explain how to set up the box from scratch including getting PTS to work

Hello, thanks for your advice.

I got PTS working and it's been working ok for a while but today I am receiving an error due to this.

The PTS does work (when I have it on) but when i change channels I get an error message along the lines of:

"Creating hardlink to timeshift file failed! The filesystem on your timeshift device does not support hard links". (Errno1)

I find this to be very strange as PTS still works but this error keeps coming up.

By the way, when i first enable PTS (on this firmware, latest open VIX 3.0) i forgot to edit the settings and it had recorded about 900 minutes! That caused the box to reboot itself a couple of times before i realised what was wrong. I currently have PTS on only recording one channel at a time, 30 mins only etc.

Help appreciated. Thank you!

kanwar
07-05-13, 00:49
I have used the built in updater to get all the latest updates. I am now on build 658.

The PTS error still remains (might not be exact wording/missing something:

"Creating hardlink to timeshift file failed! The filesystem on your timeshift device does not support hard links". (Errno1)

On a positive note, STS (pause) does not crash anymore and a few other good things have been implemented :-)

judge
07-05-13, 00:55
Still lots of PTS updates being done, please be patient while issues are sorted out if you choose to use latest builds.

kanwar
10-05-13, 21:14
I've just upgraded to build 662 and am getting the same 'hardlink failed' error for my hard drive :-(

By the way, my box also seems to crash quite a lot (with 'VIX' icon in top left) especially when I am in the menus doing something. Plus sometimes when I turn the receiver on, it doesn't seem to recognise anything being in the hard drive (recorded movies etc). Quite strange and frustrating.

kanwar
20-05-13, 01:10
Hi all,

I have updated to latest build (665) from openvix.co.uk and I have managed to sort out the 'hardlink failed' error message, thankfully.

I have a couple of issues with recorded programs/films (have tried searching forum) which I would be grateful for help with:

I just a couple of issues with recorded stuff.

1. When I play a recording from the beginning it stutters until i press forward and go a few seconds into it, then its fine. Do anyone know why and if I can resolve this?

2. Sky Movies recorded content seems to have a bit of a stuttering/picture breaking problem for some reason (some recordings, not all). I find this very strange. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for your continued assistance!