PDA

View Full Version : Stability Issues

satmanbasil
23-04-13, 14:10
Hi guys

I decided to open this thread to talk about what i see as increasing problems relating to set top boxes of late. If you have been around from the beginning as i have with the VU Plus the receiver has had its problems albeit some caused by users but certain things seem to be popping up of late that needs talking about or investigating the reasons why they happen.

Im talking of two that have happened to me of late the first being the Red Light Of Death although in some cases this has been proved not to be as bad as first thought, the other annoying factor has been the receiver lock up with remote or buttons on the stb not working. Ok a flick of the power switch at the rear will sometimes clear the fault but to be honest we need to understand what the cause is.

This next statement i make is not having a go or pointing the finger of blame but I simply ask the question when it comes to development of the stb via image, with the demand to make the receiver all singing and dancing are we damaging the receiver making it work much more harder than it was originally developed for therefore increasing the problems users are finding.

When i first got my receiver not much was mentioned about red light of death or locked up remote but slowly reports have been posted by users with problems. On another forum I belong to some point the blame on cheaper components used in the manufacture of the receiver that due to mass production result in high volume of receivers now all failing at once hence the increase of people complaints and yes i do accept this arguement as a possible cause. But it would be good to read other peoples ideas on why we seem to get these problems happening and any knowledge shared on how to fix them, we already have a sticky thread on red light which is a start maybe we can build a knowledge base sticky for users to refer to.

Now open to you guys on your views and ideas

Larry-G
23-04-13, 15:28
As I have said for years. First and foremost these things are satellite receivers, any thing extra should be considered as a bonus and not a rite.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
23-04-13, 17:46
The 'red light of death' is the C807 elco that is dying. Better not use the box until you replaced the elco, otherwise a chipset will die as well.
This elco normally dies after some 26 months of use, when the box is just out of warranty.
Ask Sicilian: he repaired the box himself.

satmanbasil
23-04-13, 23:38
hi

had my red light problem fixed in workshop but since its return its developed intermittant remote locking problem so going back for investigation as it never suffered this before.

and pheonix yes i totally agree with you on that point and i bow to andy and the team for all they do to make these receivers more than what they are i think the problem is down to the fact that they have some processing power inside the box and users want to take that to the max problem is knowing when you reached that point im guessing lol

charliesen
24-04-13, 00:08
I have often thought that as well. Up until a month ago I was using vix 1.1 and it was rock solid and I mean rock solid !! Ok it didn't have all the bells and whistles of the new vix images but if you wanted an stb to watch tv then 1.1 was spot on. Maybe the clamour from users who want boxes to be media centres etc has kind of forced devs into incorporating more into the images than the boxes can handle ?

judge
24-04-13, 00:18
seriously guys, it's pretty hard to find any issues with current builds, Vix 3.0.649 & 650.
Not saying they don't exist but I'm not sure how the image could be classified anything than working better than ever with more great features.
Some boxes have driver issues outside of ViX control so little can be done, but if you want a good stable release, stay up-to-date with current stable builds.

If you have issues on those builds, logs are king. Upload them, please.

handy
13-05-13, 03:49
The 'red light of death' is the C807 elco that is dying. Better not use the box until you replaced the elco, otherwise a chipset will die as well.
This elco normally dies after some 26 months of use, when the box is just out of warranty.
Ask Sicilian: he repaired the box himself.

My duo started to rebooting whilst watching programmes couple months back.

Replaced the C807 capacitor, problem solved.:thumbsup:

handy
13-05-13, 04:18
I have had a problem where the fan does not work on duo whilst in standby.

I've been trying out different images found the problem to be persistent on (my favourite) Vix images & openpli which vix is based on.

Fan in standby seems to work OK with Blackhole 2.0.2. but the image is not my cup of tea.

So, I'm trying Vix 3.0.649 with crossepg set to download every hour in standby, Auto Power timer set go to go to DEEP standby after 70 minutes of standby.
Hopefully this will keep the box cool, stable & stop it from locking up in standby.

Rob van der Does
13-05-13, 05:07
We are aware of the fact that for the DUO the status of fancontroll 'On' doesn't work. You should expect no problem at all caused by this: extensive testing by VU+ has learned that the box will not overheat.
If you are afraid of that, make use of the setting 'off'' and run for x minutes every y minutes.

OldSkulRide
13-05-13, 08:02
Not every DUO needs fan working all the time thats correct but some of them do need that and mine is one of them. I had strange hangs in standby, which were fixed by letting fan working all the time. I guess my DUO has capacitor problems because its alrady more than 2 years old.

Rob van der Does
13-05-13, 08:26
I guess my DUO has capacitor problems because its alrady more than 2 years old.
If you suspect that I would power the box off immediately to prevent extra damage and replace the famous capacitor.

handy
13-05-13, 17:22
We are aware of the fact that for the DUO the status of fancontroll 'On' doesn't work. You should expect no problem at all caused by this: extensive testing by VU+ has learned that the box will not overheat.
If you are afraid of that, make use of the setting 'off'' and run for x minutes every y minutes.

Rob; Even with basic fan set to "off".
Fan timer to "ON", Fan On X mins & Off X mins it does not always work in standby.

One scenario is start recording with record button, select "Add recording (stop after current event)" put duo into standby.
Whilst recording fan will run as per setting, but when recording ends, the fan stops as well.
If fan does continue to work, it will not after the next recording event.

Rob van der Does
13-05-13, 17:32
OK, clear. My DUO is not available atm, so I can't investigate anything myself, but we made a bugreport for this.

Larry-G
13-05-13, 17:49
Rob; Even with basic fan set to "off".
Fan timer to "ON", Fan On X mins & Off X mins it does not always work in standby.

One scenario is start recording with record button, select "Add recording (stop after current event)" put duo into standby.
Whilst recording fan will run as per setting, but when recording ends, the fan stops as well.
If fan does continue to work, it will not after the next recording event.

In such circumstances we would need debug logs of these events so that we can investigate further. If you can provide such logs that would greatly help us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

handy
13-05-13, 21:56
In such circumstances we would need debug logs of these events so that we can investigate further. If you can provide such logs that would greatly help us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The fan wasn't coming on in standby after recordings.

As requested here's the debug log, hope it helps: