PDA

View Full Version : Streaming from hard drive on duo to solo

deckymckeown
20-04-13, 12:33
Im have a duo set up in my main room with 1tb internal hard drive. I have a solo in my back room and it's configured to share the duos hard drive for recording. I'm using 200mbs homeplugs with the solo and both are running the latest blackhole image.

My problem I'd when record from hd channels then I try to watch them on the solo (which is reading it from the duo hard drive) when the file is playing it starts to shudder and won't play smoothly, sd files are fine.

I was thinking it was an issue with the homeplugs, but it doesnt seem to be, as when I use the Remote Channel Stream Converter built into the image, I can stream hd channels from the duos tuner perfectly.

This then makes me think it's sometime to do with the hard drive? Any ideas?... If it is the hard drive, can anything be configured from the menus? The hard drive is set to no standby.

There's no Hard drive connected at the solo could this be the issue, with it not being able to buffer the file?

Stanman
20-04-13, 16:20
How have you mounted the HDD as NFS or CIF?

deckymckeown
23-04-13, 22:06
How have you mounted the HDD as NFS or CIF?

Hi mate i have it on CIFS. when i try NFS i can see the duos hard drive in the mounts and all looks as it should, lighing up green etc. But when i press the recordings button on the solo's remote it doesnt link me to the duos hard drive anymore so i cant actually see the files- even though i have selected use as HDD replacement also

judge
23-04-13, 22:20
you mean the file list button?
if so, it defaults to last location usued.
try hitting the yellow button in that screen to see if the HDD is listed.

deckymckeown
23-04-13, 22:25
you mean the file list button?
if so, it defaults to last location usued.
try hitting the yellow button in that screen to see if the HDD is listed.

yeah the file list button.... il give that a try now though

deckymckeown
23-04-13, 22:43
Hi mate i have it on CIFS. when i try NFS i can see the duos hard drive in the mounts and all looks as it should, lighing up green etc. But when i press the recordings button on the solo's remote it doesnt link me to the duos hard drive anymore so i cant actually see the files- even though i have selected use as HDD replacement also

Apologies, when i tried this again and check under mounts management there is a green tick showin that the share is active, but there is also a red x at the hard drive icon, where when its shared as CIFS there is a green HDD icon

Also this is the same after a restart of the solo. I tried also doing as judge has said, by changing the file location, but i cant locate the HDD of the duo on the network, presumably as its not sharing properly? When i got to cross EPG i cant select the duo's hard drive anymore either as a place for storing epg data, so thats another reason why i know its not sharing as it should

judge
23-04-13, 22:46
Have the boxes static or dynamic IP addresses?

deckymckeown
23-04-13, 23:05
Have the boxes static or dynamic IP addresses?

static ips mate

judge
23-04-13, 23:28
back to mount manager & mount again so...
if that doesn't work, can you paste the contents of /etc/fstab, might point to where the error is.

deckymckeown
23-04-13, 23:59
if that doesn't work, can you paste the contents of /etc/fstab, might point to where the error is.

ok mate i was trying to ftp to my duo...... the strangest thing has now happened, my ftp password is now not recognised, even though i logged into ftp earlier today. Cant get into telnet either to change the password..... very strange indeed!!! wdf is going on!

The only change to the receiver i made was to add the laptop as a mount so that i can share the drive from that also, i never changed any passwords etc so def cant understand why my ftp password would have changed... have also tried dreambox and blank for both, still the same. Any ideas??

judge
24-04-13, 00:01
narrowing it down to network issues so....

deckymckeown
24-04-13, 00:04
...... just put dhcp back on and its giving me a different ip. Im trying to ftp in with that, still same problem, password not recognised

judge
24-04-13, 00:08
Menu -> Information -> Network will all ways show you the correct IP of the box.
Are you using that? username: root, password: left blank (unless you changed it), port 21.

deckymckeown
24-04-13, 00:45
yes im using the correct ip and login details that i had before and never changed. but have also tried root and password left blank

deckymckeown
29-04-13, 22:51
Still cant get the HDD on my duo mounted as NFS, it only lets me mount it as CIFS...... i read somewhere that NFS will be faster, presumably thats why the HD recordings streaming from my duo to solo are freezing.

Its def not the home plugs as the remote channel stream converter is working fine, and also the strange thing is that HD files recorded from other sats (not s*y UK) seem to be streaming fine. Im guessing here but presumably this is something to do with the bit rate of the s*y channels?

So has anyone been able to add the HDD as NFS mount, which im positive there has been? if so can one of you kind souls give me an idea of what i could be doing wrong :confused:

deckymckeown
29-04-13, 23:19

this is the contents of /etc/fstab from the duo (host HDD)

rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mtdblock2 /boot jffs2 rw 0 0
tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs mode=0777 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0