PDA

View Full Version : network two vu+ boxes

clippert
17-04-13, 20:17
I've just been setting up both boxes so they can play music/videos from my pc which is great.

How can I set my two boxes up so that I can view recordings on one box from another and vice versa?

I've done a few searches and have come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance

clippert

judge
17-04-13, 20:20
Menu -> Setup -> System - Network, enable NFS or Samba
then
Menu -> Setup -> System - Network -> Mounts Setup -> Network Browser & mount the drives...

clippert
17-04-13, 20:43
then
Menu -> Setup -> System - Network -> Mounts Setup -> Network Browser & mount the drives...

I take it I have to set up samba on both boxes before I can see the other box on the network?

If this is the case then I'm knackered as the ladies of the house are watching some sewing competition on the telly! I mean, a sewing competition - whatever next? A knitting competition :eek:

clippert
17-04-13, 21:14
then

worked a treat - thanks very much :thumbsup:

EDIT - now I'm puzzled - If I play recordings on the box that is hard wired directly to the router from the box that is wired via homeplugs the picture is very stuttery.

If I play recordings on the box that is wired via homeplugs from the hard wired box they work fine.

seems to work one way but not the other.

anyone got any ideas?

cheers

clippert

judge
17-04-13, 21:17
glad it's working & you managed to get away from the sewing competition...

clippert
17-04-13, 21:32
not working just yet - see my edit - can't see why it works one way and not the other...

mickyblueys
17-04-13, 22:01
not working just yet - see my edit - can't see why it works one way and not the other...

My 2 duo's are wired identical to you'res, and my nfs shares playback fine on both boxes. So it it's not a vix problem, but a problem at you're end I'm afraid.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

judge
17-04-13, 22:16
sounds more like a network issue than anything...
are you using samba or nfs mounts?

Osamo1956
02-05-13, 17:44
Hi, I've added THIS (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28258-Piggyback-2-x-VU-Duos-Run-all-4-tuners-via-1-box)thread about whether it's possible to link two Duos to get a 4 tuners up n' running.
Comments welcome. Thanks.

rikesh
23-05-13, 21:43
Sorry to hijack this thread but my question is along the same lines...

I have a Vu+ Solo in my house connected to a TP-link router, which has a USB drive attached to it (http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=253). I have mounted this via CIFS to the Vu+ Solo and it works beautifully to playback media (mostly .avi files).

Now, I have a Vu+ Duo in another house on a completely separate network, miles away. I would like to playback media from the same USB drive on this Vu+ Duo. I have tried mounting the drive using the external IP but this doesn't work. Port forwarding is enabled for FTP and Openwebif. And here's the kicker: if I login to Openwebif on my laptop (from an outside network), I can stream media from the USB drive perfectly using the 'Stream' menu.

How do I connect the Vu+ Duo to either the USB drive, or alternatively to the Vu+ Solo via Openwebif, to enable streaming from the USB drive on the Vu+ Duo?

Thanks

s31teg
27-05-13, 09:33
Sorry to hijack this thread but my question is along the same lines...

I have a Vu+ Solo in my house connected to a TP-link router, which has a USB drive attached to it (http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=253). I have mounted this via CIFS to the Vu+ Solo and it works beautifully to playback media (mostly .avi files).

Now, I have a Vu+ Duo in another house on a completely separate network, miles away. I would like to playback media from the same USB drive on this Vu+ Duo. I have tried mounting the drive using the external IP but this doesn't work. Port forwarding is enabled for FTP and Openwebif. And here's the kicker: if I login to Openwebif on my laptop (from an outside network), I can stream media from the USB drive perfectly using the 'Stream' menu.

How do I connect the Vu+ Duo to either the USB drive, or alternatively to the Vu+ Solo via Openwebif, to enable streaming from the USB drive on the Vu+ Duo?

Thanks

this is not possible, your internet wont have the throughput to stream such a big file over WAN

rikesh
27-05-13, 12:03
Thanks for your reply.

If that is the case, then why does streaming work perfectly using Openwebif / VLC on my laptop over WAN?

Trial
27-05-13, 12:30
Hi,
for mounting you need to forward more and other ports. CIFS is I think 445 and NFS often 111+2049.

btw. if streaming works you must also have a forward of port 8001.

ciao

s31teg
27-05-13, 12:36
Thanks for your reply.

If that is the case, then why does streaming work perfectly using Openwebif / VLC on my laptop over WAN?

You can stream to your laptop when not on the same network over the internet?

rikesh
27-05-13, 18:38
Hi,
for mounting you need to forward more and other ports. CIFS is I think 445 and NFS often 111+2049.

btw. if streaming works you must also have a forward of port 8001.

ciao

Interesting - will try this and post back results. Yes, forgot to mention I have the streaming port forwarded too.

You can stream to your laptop when not on the same network over the internet?

Yes.