PDA

View Full Version : New Vu+ Solo2 owner, intro and some questions

dogboy
17-04-13, 15:00
Hi folks,

new to the forums here, and new to satellite in general... I've been tinkering with my box a bit and I have a few questions that have come up, maybe someone can help out?

I apologise in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere, I have browsed many forums looking for answers, but nothing definitive, hence why I'm putting myself over the top...

Box is:

Vu+Solo2
OpenVix Image [3.0.649]
Magic-HD-Night Skin
Custom bootlogo.mvi
DreamPlex
Attempted to install OnDemand plugin but failed
4gb usb stick in rear
120gb HD internal

There is a crash log attached also.

Hope this is helpful info to start... on to my queries...

1) I wanted to use the internal HDD for time shift, epg etc... however it will not enable timeshift, saying there's a timeshift "permanent hardlink error, please ensure drive is ext2 or ext3 formatted". I have formatted the drive using gparted to ext2 [and tried ext3], but the mount insists it is ext4 and won't let me do time shift, it's very frustrating. The flip side is that I have put a USB stick in for time shift and epg, but how can I eliminate this and make the whole thing operate from the internal HDD. I have tried initialising from within the box, and also booting the system and then mounting the drive after it's up and running, but no joy at all.

2) Is there a better/simpler series record plugin than the auto timers? Is this something that could be developed to bring it more in line with commercial set top boxes?

3) Each time I try and download plugins ["Plugins">>> green button [download]] the box crashes, log attached, any ideas what may be causing this?

4) Is there a recordings browser plugin, that creates a custom interface for accessing recordings?

5) Is there any way of using NFS shares with a specific user/login as per a lot of NAS drives? I managed to get it working on my Synology DS412+, but it's not ideal, as I'd prefer the recording account to be limited by a quota on the NAS [ps this was a ballache to get working]

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by, sorry for the mass posting, hopefully someone can help out.

Kind regards,

Nick

Trial
17-04-13, 15:12
Hi,
3. "MemoryError" I think you filled your ram/flash with garbage perhaps timeshift. Check with Menu, Info, Memory if there is enough memory/flash free.

4. Check EMC, MovieBrowser for instance.

5. NFS is IP based and not user based. You can limit it to a certain computer but not certain user. If you want user/password combination use Samba/CIFS.

ciao

josh_g
17-04-13, 15:24
1) i would run the time shift from the USB and plug it in the back out of the way.. the reason i say this as if you have it set as PTS the drive will constantly be in use and could be noisy after a while. if you insist on using the HDD try formatting it from the box and converting to ext4 as this is what i had to do to get my USB working and now and again is till get the time shift error. admittedly did take me a while to get PTS to work

dogboy
17-04-13, 19:24
Thanks for the advice guys...

First up, I can't properly format the USB drive as it says its being used for timeshift or recordings :( is there a way of force unmounting it?
Everytime I try to do anything to it it says cannot unmount... boo.

Also, the plugin problem is not a memory issue, open web if says I have 475MB free memory in the flash

Is there a way of mounting samba shares, I can only see CIFS and NFS?

I'm wondering if having tinkered a bit it's worth starting again now I know how I want it setup, does it sound like there's an issue with my config?

Many thanks,

Nick

Larry-G
17-04-13, 19:42
Yes i think it may be best to reflash and start again.

Trial
17-04-13, 22:41
hi,
just for the record. 475/MB is RAM not flash. flash is more important.

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

dogboy
17-04-13, 23:36
hey folks, reflashed it all and it works OK [for now]... no timeshift errors etc, USB and HDD are detected OK.

whew...

Now to see if I can suss out mounting a samba share from within VIX

Many thanks for your advice guys!

Nick

Tkr001
18-04-13, 02:42
Samba is CIFS so you need to enable CIFS first.

dogboy
18-04-13, 07:59
urgh. this should be so easy... don't know where I'm going wrong.

NFS is fine, but it's an open folder on my NAS with no credentials or quota... really struggling to create a CIFS/SAMBA share. It's a Synology DS412+, if any one has any tips.

On another note, I have been testing out the recording functions, and they seem reliable, the auto timers carried on when the new EPG downloaded for the next day, which is cool. Anyone have any tips with regard to autotimers? Is there a way for recordings to be automatically created in a new folder for each series, or is this something that could happen in the future?

Last question [sorry!] - I've installed a few packages from the plugins menu, but there isn't always an option to show what's been installed, or even to uninstall. I'm thinking skins, picons etc - is ther some form of advanced package manager in Vix? I did have a look at blackhole, but despite the featureset, I need simplicity for my GF, and Vix seemed a wiser choice.

Many thanks,

Nick

dogboy
18-04-13, 12:54
got it working :)

just needed to create an admin account limited to the shared folder... sadly the Vu+ doesn't pickup on the account's quota, so still shows a huge amount of free space for recording on the NAS. I'll keep tweaking though...