PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo or Technomate TM-TWIN-OE running Vix 3.0

Goot
16-04-13, 00:45
Hi,

Following the price reductions of originals vs clones, it's time for me to consider moving away from my VU+ Duo Clone :eek: and to an original box of some description. VU+ Duo Clone has served me well over the past 9 months, apart from a replacement PSU and sometimes swearing at an unresponsive remote control, it works as I intended (FTA box with 500GB HDD). I could buy another clone, but the stories of even flakier PSU's in the newer clone boxes makes the total cost of ownership questionable.

I love the VU+ Duo and has wife approval :thumbsup: (even in this clone version), but don't know anyone with a VU+ Duo original. Likewise, I don't know anyone with a Technomate TM-TWIN-OE (which definately looks like a 'wife friendly' box from external looks alone!) So, my requirements are based on a direct replacement for what I have, with a max budget of £250:

Twin tuner, able to take 3.5" HDD, Vix 3.0 image.

1. VU+ Duo or Technomate TM-TWIN-OE? Pro's Cons for both.
2. Tuner sensitivity/build quality - which box is better?
3. Warranty for both the above? How long?
4. What is the VU+Duo original remote like compared to the clone? Clone remote doesn't feel responsive when using directional pad/OK button
5. What is the Technomate remote like to use vs VU+ Duo remote - which is better?
6. Does Vix 3.0 image run identical on both machines, or are there known operatonal differences?

I'm struggling to come to a conclusion. Heart says VU+Duo original, but the Technomate TM-TWIN-OE keeps winking at me, especially as the risk of VU+ Duo becoming end of line due to newer VU+ models (sadly out of price range at this time). I intend to keep the box for a couple of years (assuming it has no issues).

Read endless reviews on the VU+ Duo (hence getting a clone in the first instance), but I'm struggling to find comparison reviews, especially when running Vix 3.0 on both boxes with an up to date image.

Apologies if I'm not allowed to talk about clones, but as this is a legitimate request to move to an original box, I hope people Admin/Mod's don't mind and sorry if I've broken any rules :baby:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Goot :)

judge
16-04-13, 01:10
The TMTwin & TM2T are both great boxes but sadly suffer from recording issues with the current drivers.
Having owned TMTwin, TM2T & Vu DUO, currently I'd go for the Duo.
If TM sort the recording issues, the TM2T would by my preference but it doesn't take a 3.5 inch drive...

As for remotes, I still prefer the VU ones.

If you can stretch the budget to the Solo2, it's well worth it...

Goot
16-04-13, 01:19
@Judge - Recording is important, so that kind of answers that one for me! Probably can't justify stretching to a Solo2 (same debate with cars, processors etc!)

judge
16-04-13, 01:28
Site sponsor has the Duo at £249.00 - £5 forum members discount, not a bad price...
TM are aware of the recording issues, but until they sort them, it's kind of hard to recommend them.

bobi
16-04-13, 13:05
im totaly agread with Judge, if it was not for the recording problems i would absolutely recomend the TM 2T or Twin OE.
For time being the TM is not as reliable on recordings as it should be, there is work being made to fix the Descrambler and make new drivers for TM but untill the Koreans stop thinking of war and start making drives for TM we are left with a box that some time records and some time just dont.

I would say that TM is good valued box, but fot the time go for DUO as it does all you need. Perhaps you can wait few days and see maybe the drivers will pop up somewhere soon ( i hope )

cheers

bobi

josh_g
16-04-13, 13:18
reading this thread has made me want to comment!

i chose a TM-Twin over the duo back in September and as my first lunux box i really cant fault it at all, the issues around recording have not experienced and find it a really reliable box :thumbsup:

Hannaman
16-04-13, 13:28
I had the tm-2t for 1 day it froze I couldn't get it going again so the sponsor exchanged it to the vu+ duo and I have to say I'm so glad as the box is amazing especially for the price. Love it!!!

nipperlocko
09-05-13, 16:10
I have the tm twin-oe, its a really good box and wife friendly, I did have recording issues with the latest images but I am now using image 385 with no problems whatsoever, and currently the upto date images are in the 600`s