PDA

View Full Version : Low Signal to Noise Ratio

Judc1664
15-04-13, 19:04
Hi WOS. I have a TM5402 and I'm experiencing low quality strength on some TP's, would a in-line amplifier increase the quality strength, if not what would I need to do
Thanks in advance WOS

Larry-G
15-04-13, 19:09
Best check your coax for any rips, tears and visible damage, also check your fixtures and fittings making sure you have no shorts or loose connections before going for a amp as a amp will also amplify any noise and could make things far worse rather than better.

Judc1664
15-04-13, 20:29
Thanks Pheonix. I only had my dish installed a few months ago and I have checked the coax for any damage and there is none.

Rob van der Does
16-04-13, 06:19
And what about dish-alignment and LNB-skew?

BTW: It's either 'signal strength' or 'SNR' (Signal to noise ratio); it's the latter that's important, signal strength shouldn't even be looked at.

Judc1664
19-04-13, 14:18
Thanks rvdb had the dish checked by the installer and all is fine running at 100%
A buddy of mine said it will be my Internet connection but that's running at 35 meg at the moment

Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks again

satcat
19-04-13, 18:44
your internet will have nothing to do with signal strength !!!! it dish alignment/cable.. or skew on lnb....or dodgy tuner? hope that helps abit, cheers satcat

Judc1664
21-04-13, 00:08
Hi satcat thanks for the info, I don't thing the box is faulty my mate brought his dm800 round to try and his was doing the same low signal and channels not coming on the only other thing I have to try is take my tm5402 round to his and see how that goes, will let u know how it goes
Thanks guys for all your help

drx360
21-04-13, 00:47
does sound like an alingment issue, has the fixing bracket been checked for levels? also what coax was used? i ask this because i bought 20 meters off ebay (was rather cheap) laid it all under my new flooring switched box on and had lost half my channels, so ripped it all out, then made my own cable runs up, then all worked perfect again maybe worth checking that out.

Judc1664
02-05-13, 21:04
Thanks drx360 for your input too, like I said before the dish is a new instal guessing the coax is off good quality,had that checked again and all 100%, tried my mates dm800 and that doesn't work but works at his, he took my tm5402 to his and all worked great he is on BT, i had virgin media engineer to check the Internet connection and all ok changed the super hub to modem mode but still the same, but I've still got the problem this is all very annoying
Anymore suggestions will be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance

drx360
02-05-13, 23:18
have you have a meter connected directly to the lnb?
for low or no signal my next port of call would be a meter on the lnb, to test of that is working
as someone else mentioned earlier internet speed has nothing to do with signal strengths.

hook up a meter to your lnb, maplins do one for around £15-20 and test it..if that is working and giving you good signal strength then hook the meter up to the other end of cables ,box end, if you get low signal or no signal, then its 100% your cabling.

let us know how you get on

Rob van der Does
03-05-13, 03:39
BTW: It's either 'signal strength' or 'SNR' (Signal to noise ratio); it's the latter that's important, signal strength shouldn't even be looked at.
So I changed the title of the thread accordingly.

Judc1664
03-05-13, 16:11
Thanks RVDD the dish installer checked at the box end and said all running at 100%. But I'll get hold of a meter to do want you've suggested and ill let you know how it goes.

Rob van der Does
03-05-13, 16:46
For laymen's purposes a meter isn't even necessary: a connected E2-STB can do that job for you (either via the build in 'satfinder' or via a 3rd-party PC or smartphone application.

Judc1664
27-05-13, 16:14
Ok guys sorry for not getting back sooner tried a meter ok the setup is all in-line (the LNB is a standard sky one) took the TM5402 round to a friend who's setup is all sky and it all seemed to work there. Tried doing a factory reset and install the patch and channel list again and I've still got the same issues missing channels & TP's the only over thing I can try is a different BB provider or is there anything else you can suggest.
Thanks again

Larry-G
28-05-13, 12:31
Your droadband provider makes no difference to which Transponders are received or not, although I have a feeling your talking about the method by which you subscribe ?, a topic we cant go into on this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Judc1664
28-05-13, 15:54
Thanks Pheonix for your response this is getting very frustrating I don't know what are the reasons for missing TP's. any further advice from any of the guys would be very much appreciated

Judc1664
21-07-13, 16:03
Ok guys sorry for being so long getting back on this issue been on my hols. I got the dish installer back after trying everything you guys suggested and when he came he said all still seems ok but his mate took the LNB off and said there was something wrong so the changed it and all seems to be working at the moment. So thanks again to all that helped with this issue keep up the great work

bigbaz
30-07-13, 21:57
For laymen's purposes a meter isn't even necessary: a connected E2-STB can do that job for you (either via the build in 'satfinder' or via a 3rd-party PC or smartphone application.

I have a Solo 2 and a Duo both are now on VIX builds 708, I purchased a new universal 80cm dish and octo lnb a few weeks back and prior to previous builds from 708 the SNR reading was at 66%viewing from sat finder SNR now reads 49% and AGC now reads 41%
Is it possible that since updating the builds the SNR has reduced or is it an alignment/lnb issue even though the dish was properly fixed and tightened? Thanks.

Rob van der Does
31-07-13, 05:57
AFAIK nothing has been changed in this area. And certainly not for two different boxes.

bigbaz
31-07-13, 15:22
AFAIK nothing has been changed in this area. And certainly not for two different boxes.

AFAIK:confused: Can you elaborate please Rob.

Rob van der Does
31-07-13, 15:52
AFAIK = as far as I know.
And I do follow all changes.

bigbaz
31-07-13, 19:17
AFAIK = as far as I know.
And I do follow all changes.

I see, thanks for clarifying.