PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/desktop cant see my box on my network

drx360
14-04-13, 12:08
HI guys, ive been trying to get network shares set up but i just cannot get laptop or desktop to see my box on my network on windows 8(what a pain in the arse win 8 is turning out to be but thats another story) smb is installed on box,the box sees the laptop & desktop but not vice versa, any ideas more then welcomed.

cheers!

Maxwell
14-04-13, 12:13
try setting up the box as another user on the pc

drx360
14-04-13, 12:14
try setting up the box as another user on the pc

i will give it a go now m8, let you know in 5 mins :)

drx360
14-04-13, 12:27
ok just set it up as a local account, still does not see it :\

Maxwell
14-04-13, 12:30
have you installed FTP, miniDLNA, NFS and uShare on the box

drx360
14-04-13, 12:32
have you installed FTP, miniDLNA, NFS and uShare on the box

it currently has samba and nfs installed i will install others now and report back in 5 :)

ftp was also already installed.

drx360
14-04-13, 13:03
grrrrr just does not want to play ball.

Maxwell
14-04-13, 13:45
does it show up as a media device or are you just looking at the network

drx360
14-04-13, 17:45
does it show up as a media device or are you just looking at the network

not showing up fullstop.

shizik
14-04-13, 18:01
with latest build on my vuuno i also can't see my box in my network but i can see it when i write \\vuuno in explorer . so maybe try this way ?

edit - on win8

drx360
15-04-13, 17:15
ok heres a quick update, the tests i was doing were on my laptop which runs win8 home edition, and the actual files i wanted to share were on my desktop so i remoted in to my desktop which runs win8 pro and bang i can see my tm2t box, its icon the tux penguin IS visible in network locations and am able to explore the box :) so as far as i can tell this entirely depends on what version of either windows7 or windows8 you are running, i am pretty sure home editions have limited network options compared to higher versions such as pro and ultimate etc, be interested to here from anyone who has a home edition and can see the icon for there box listed,just to see if my suspicions are correct.

mission accomplished thanks for your help guys.

shizik
15-04-13, 20:05
i don't think thats the reason , i have win 8 pro and at first there was icon for my vuuno , also for other pc that are connected on my network , after latest few builds icon for vuuno in my network just disappeared and all other icons are there . but i can see my vuuno when i write manually /vuuno in explorer

drx360
15-04-13, 20:43
i don't think thats the reason , i have win 8 pro and at first there was icon for my vuuno , also for other pc that are connected on my network , after latest few builds icon for vuuno in my network just disappeared and all other icons are there . but i can see my vuuno when i write manually /vuuno in explorer

hi shizik you have win8 pro and can or could see the icons in network for your box thats what i am getting at, i just dont think home editions can

zenith
15-04-13, 20:49
can i ask if you can see and open shared folders on your tm box from the pc?

drx360
15-04-13, 21:11
not on the actual box no, only if i view via network

zenith
15-04-13, 21:21
not on the actual box no, only if i view via network

yeah i can do that but i cant access pc folders from sat box can see pc just cant access.
:pdriving me bonkers

drx360
15-04-13, 21:29
yeah i can do that but i cant access pc folders from sat box can see pc just cant access.
:pdriving me bonkers

yea pain the bum but i wont let it beat me.

zenith
15-04-13, 23:58
when you do can you let me know how you did it please.
cheers

s2tephen
16-04-13, 16:29
Do not know if this means anything but I have TM Twin OE and was running the 4D Openpi version 2.1 and I could see the rec on my network ei. Root and Hard Disk folders and was able to download to my computer anything I had recorded.
Then the other day I upgraded the 4D image to Openpi 3.0 and could no longer see the rec on my computer.
As I use this function quite a lot I have now reinstalled the 2.1 version and all is working again.

judge
16-04-13, 16:40
working fine here using windows 8...
are ye sure ye have the correct networking parts enabled?

if you open your file explorer & type the machine name like \\vusolo in the address bar, do the shares show up then?

zenith
16-04-13, 16:43
i can see my receiver under network folder in windows 8 and copy files etc from pc but cannot do it from receiver.

zenith
16-04-13, 16:45
working fine here using windows 8...
are ye sure ye have the correct networking parts enabled?

if you open your file explorer & type the machine name like \\vusolo in the address bar, do the shares show up then?

can i ask if you can see your share folders on your pc from your solo box and access them?

judge
16-04-13, 19:02
can i ask if you can see your share folders on your pc from your solo box and access them?

Thought ye were discussing the other way around, sorry...

anyway, just set-up a bunch of windows shares & no matter what I do, I can't see them on the Solo, I don't usually share this way so not sure if I've done it right but it should be simple, so presume so...

one thing I did notice, if I install the samba packages manually, I get:

root@vusolo2:~# opkg install task-base-smbfs
Installing task-base-smbfs (1.0-r85) to root...
Downloading http://enigma2.world-of-satellite.com/feeds/3.0/vusolo2/vusolo2/task-base-smbfs_1.0-r85_vusolo2.ipk.
task-base-smbfs: unsatisfied recommendation for kernel-module-cifs
task-base-smbfs: unsatisfied recommendation for kernel-module-smbfs
Configuring task-base-smbfs.
not sure if that would make a difference though...
I'll bring it up in the dev room & see if anyone comes up with anything.

drx360
16-04-13, 19:11
what version of windows 8 are you running judge?

judge
16-04-13, 19:17
what version of windows 8 are you running judge?

no idea, whatever came on this laptop... just haven't got around to taking it off it yet.