PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a solo 2

jugulator
13-04-13, 17:58
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. I am thinking of buying a solo 2. I have been using a DM800 HD. But then I wanted a dual tuner for watching while recording. Then I decided to buy amiko alien2, which I now regret. The main attraction was the price and 1080p capability. But I have given up on it. I have few querries about solo2 if any of you could answer, would be appreciated

1. I heard that there are issues with recording or watching while recording? is that true or is it fixed?

2. How is the media player capabilities? i.e., watching movies from a NAS drive via DLNA or attached hard drive? (I was thinking of getting a media centre as well, but if I could do the same on this, then this would be well worth the investment)

3. Any issues with soft cams (I hope this question is allowed)..?

4. What is this 1080p transcoding..?

I would be grateful for your help. It is an expensive purchase, so would like to clarify these before diving in.

Thanks n advance for your help
cheers

Larry-G
13-04-13, 18:01
1. no this issue was resolved a long time ago.

2. This like most E2 receivers will happily play most formats such as AVI, MKV etc etc, but be aware that this is intended as a satellite receiver and not a purpose made media player, so consider the media player functions as a bonus and not a rite.

3. no issues that i know of, I use CCcam 2.2.1 on mine just fine.

4. not really clued up on that topic enough to give a accurate answer, sorry.

jugulator
13-04-13, 18:21
Thanks for your quick reply. I will wait for couple of more reply if I can get before I put my money in. Would you recommend buying this? Is there any issues which I should be aware of? Thanks again.

judge
13-04-13, 18:30
I can't think of any current issues you should be aware of...
It's a great box, my current favourite...

Stanman
13-04-13, 18:36
If your after a twin tuner, than SOLO2 is at the moment imho king of the hill and you can't really go wrong.

The most important thing you need to ask your self when shelling out money like this is where will it be in 12 months time - look at the likes of the QBOX mini HD and you will appreciate the benefits of buying from one of the biggest names in the game:thumbsup:

jugulator
14-04-13, 01:46
Thank you all for your comments.

Larry-G
14-04-13, 01:49
Thanks for your quick reply. I will wait for couple of more reply if I can get before I put my money in. Would you recommend buying this? Is there any issues which I should be aware of? Thanks again.

yes i'd highly recommend the solo2, so much so that i bought one my self and its now my primary receiver over all my others.

jugulator
14-04-13, 08:01
I believe currently there's vix and bh image available. Which one is stable one? How is the default image? Thanks

bokkie
14-04-13, 08:26
Transcoding allows you to stream from your stb to mobile, tablet, pc, etc, so long as you have a ln internet connection.
It's great, enables you to catch up on the game, setup recordings and even stream your recorded content.
You have complete control of your stb.
Quality is not brilliant, but it is still in beta.

jugulator
14-04-13, 09:06
Transcoding allows you to stream from your stb to mobile, tablet, pc, etc, so long as you have a ln internet connection.
It's great, enables you to catch up on the game, setup recordings and even stream your recorded content.
You have complete control of your stb.
Quality is not brilliant, but it is still in beta.

Thanks. Looks very interesting :)

satsatsat
14-04-13, 14:59
i have one....also have dm800dh and dm7020 and vu duo..plus various technomates..

best box for me by a mile

jugulator
14-04-13, 15:20
i have one....also have dm800dh and dm7020 and vu duo..plus various technomates..

best box for me by a mile

Thanks for your reply. Could you explain what makes you say it is the best by a mile, apart from the speed? Thanks

bokkie
14-04-13, 19:49
Well it is mainly the speed. Everything is so much quicker from epg download to channel change, it's all just so much smoother.
For me the transcoding is a deal breaker now, makes life so much easier with regards to getting my rugby fix.
Comes with Gigabit ethernet and extra Ram and Flash which also help.
Also has the vix image and Auto Bouquet maker, etc which comes with it. By far the best image I've ever used in terms of ease of use, UI, epg, etc.
I had a Vu+ duo before this and the solo2 is so much better.

jugulator
14-04-13, 22:44
Thanks. Looks like you guys have sold it to me. I will need some help setting up the transcoding ;)

judge
14-04-13, 22:54
Thanks. Looks like you guys have sold it to me. I will need some help setting up the transcoding ;)

transcoding is simple to set-up.
plugin included by default on ViX Solo2 build, just enable it...

judge
14-04-13, 22:57
The most important thing you need to ask your self when shelling out money like this is where will it be in 12 months time - look at the likes of the QBOX mini HD and you will appreciate the benefits of buying from one of the biggest names in the game:thumbsup:

resale value is worth considering here too.
Original VU boxes tend to keep a decent resale value even a year or 2 later...

Hotchef
15-04-13, 07:04
Does it have a rte player avliable, and if so will it work in the Uk?

judge
15-04-13, 08:41
Does it have a rte player avliable, and if so will it work in the Uk?
rte player is included in the OnDemand plugin, what you watch online using it sgould be available in the UK.

popss
16-04-13, 10:14
Well after reading the posts regarding this box looks like ill need to start putting some money aside and buy this box sounds like exactly what I am wanting. Will just have to relegate my TM and xcruiser to the bedrooms.:cool:

N42
17-04-13, 12:50
Guys what hard drive do you recommend to go with a Solo 2?

judge
17-04-13, 13:05
Guys what hard drive do you recommend to go with a Solo 2?

If ordering from the site sponsor, he'll add a great known working HDD for you.
Other than that, any 2.5" hdd should work fine.

joetwizzy
17-04-13, 20:21
transcoding is simple to set-up.
plugin included by default on ViX Solo2 build, just enable it...
can I just have confirmed that this isn't available on the Vu Duo?

judge
17-04-13, 20:31
can I just have confirmed that this isn't available on the Vu Duo?

yeah, it's only the Solo2 at the moment as far as I'm aware.

joetwizzy
17-04-13, 20:37
yeah, it's only the Solo2 at the moment as far as I'm aware.

Cheers, I didn't want to spend another £300 on a box. I convinced myself the Duo would be the last one. Bugger... better get saving.

vuesolo
18-04-13, 10:03
Mine should be arriving today fingers crossed x

Delvey
23-04-13, 19:59
Does the transcoding reduce to bitrate I presume?

Trial
23-04-13, 20:52
hi,

Does the transcoding reduce to bitrate I presume?

yes to around 400-800kbit/sec

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

popss
25-04-13, 10:05
Right that's me convinced it has to be a solo2 need to put some more cash by and wait. Hopefully in the next few weeks :)

martynhull
25-04-13, 11:14
Why you give up on amiko I just ordered one :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dooste.man83
25-04-13, 13:35
Hi

I have vu solo and i want to upgrade to solo 2

I have questions about it

1- picture quality is very important for me and I want know that Which one looks better about it ?

vu solo 2 or DB 800hd se or DB 7020 hd

2-do you think that the picturs qualitys solo2 is Similar solo or solo 2 is better than solo ? ( both of them with Black hole image )

3- What are the problems solo2 ? ( for example : searching or finding frequency or anythings )

thanks a lot for answer me

Allthegearnoidea
25-04-13, 21:36
please ignore (I cant delete) intending to repost with original message

Allthegearnoidea
25-04-13, 21:42
1) I have moved from a sly box to Solo 2, picture quality is great so if you are moving from a solo to a solo 2 I doubt you will be dissapointed.
2) See above.
3) Moving from a conventional sly box to this is not the easiest but since you have the solo I imagine you will not have any issues. I am using the Openvix image which has plug ins to sort out satalite freqencies and automatic downloads of EPG's such that even series link works a treat!

Bottom line, just buy it!

Larry-G
25-04-13, 21:45

basically because there rubbish and cant run enigma 2 properly.

Allthegearnoidea
25-04-13, 21:45
hi,

yes to around 400-800kbit/sec

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

Is there an option for reducing the bitrate? I am trying to get the transcoding to work, it is great quality until it starts clitching...

martynhull
25-04-13, 22:37
basically because there rubbish and cant run enigma 2 properly.

Even running hdmu I heard good things also Yoda image

Trial
26-04-13, 07:39
Hi,

Is there an option for reducing the bitrate? I am trying to get the transcoding to work, it is great quality until it starts clitching...
not on the Solo2 up to now. I have my doubts that it will be possible in the near future. The PQ of reencoded TV is good enough for smart phones and small tablets like my galaxy tab 7 but not more.

Ralf

bokkie
26-04-13, 11:26
Maybe that option will be available when they release the duo2? I watch the rugby on the tablet and at times have a hard time seeing where the ball is as the picture goes a bit blocky at times.
I've also tried hooking it up to a telly whilst on holiday, but gave up as picture quality was awful.

jugulator
27-04-13, 03:27

I have used Amiko Alien 2 for 3 months. It simply is not stable enough to run enigma properly. I have been using dreambox for 2 years and never spent this much time in front of it like I did on alien 2. Finally I had to ditch it and get solo2. So far so good. Sometime I get this nagging from my inside that the picture quality is not as good as alien 2; but I could be imagining it. :)

martynhull
27-04-13, 09:57
Jugulator and you tried all latest ones like I said the one from xxxxxxxx? Or have stopped using while ago yh I heard picture is superb

Stanman
27-04-13, 10:22
Martyn - do not mentioned other sat retailers plz, rules you signed up to

martynhull
27-04-13, 11:30
Sorry dude was saying so he knew the firmware was referring to but yh rules are rules dude

martynhull
27-04-13, 11:31
Latest Yoda image

Rob van der Does
27-04-13, 13:45
Right that's me convinced it has to be a solo2 need to put some more cash by and wait. Hopefully in the next few weeks :)
Be aware that the Solo2-transcoding has several limitations. Please make sure (by asking users) if the box does what you expect in that area before buying. And if it doesn't: await the DUO2. That box can transcode without limitations (as it is done in hardware).

Rimmel
05-05-13, 21:11
yes i'd highly recommend the solo2, so much so that i bought one my self and its now my primary receiver over all my others.

Would you say it was faster than an Xtrend 9x00 in real life?

Also I don't quite understand the transcoding issue>????

thanks

Larry-G
05-05-13, 21:28
Would you say it was faster than an Xtrend 9x00 in real life?

Also I don't quite understand the transcoding issue>????

thanks

I have never used a xtrend receiver but compared to my ultimo the solo 2 is lightning fast, i can crash the solo2 and have it back up and running in 14 seconds, now thats may not sound like much but believe me it's a huge improvement in speed.

as for transcoding, to be honest i have never bothered with that as it frankly does not interest me.

Stanman
05-05-13, 21:32
Transcoding is useful if you want to watch on the go as box does it for you - your own skygo.

There is no other box that is as fast the SOLO2, only one that comes close is the Gigablue Quad

Hotchef
05-05-13, 22:50
Be aware that the Solo2-transcoding has several limitations. Please make sure (by asking users) if the box does what you expect in that area before buying. And if it doesn't: await the DUO2. That box can transcode without limitations (as it is done in hardware).

What are the limitations with transcoding with the solo2?

Trial
06-05-13, 08:15
Hi,

What are the limitations with transcoding with the solo2?
you cannot watch and stream the same channel. No recording or PiP while a transcoded stream is active. TV gets black for a second when transcoding starts.

ciao

Rimmel
06-05-13, 11:04
So transcoding does not interfere with normal operation e.g watching sat TV or movies on the HD or even movies streaming from a media tank?

thanks

Trial
06-05-13, 18:43
Hi,

So transcoding does not interfere with normal operation e.g watching sat TV or movies on the HD or even movies streaming from a media tank?

I did not much with transcoding but when you try to stream the same channel which is being watched on telly they get a black screen.

ciao

BubbleBalls
06-05-13, 21:26
This thread is going baa'aa'aad

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
06-05-13, 21:31
Indeed, and as no valuable info for TS seems to pop up any more, I close the thread now.