PDA

View Full Version : Quad GBLAN update

marty
12-04-13, 14:41
As most Quad owners know we got shafted over GBLAN :mad:
Now GB has said that they will give a GBLAN USB 2.0 adaptor (that is far from GBLAN in real life but a little better than fast ethernet) free to owners of Quads which have a certain serial number (the 1st 1000 made IIRC)
Now saying they will do something and "actually" doing something are two different things :p so I decided to send them an email, in fairness I did get a prompt reply.

When will the GigaBlue GigaBit Adapter be available? I bought my GB Quad last October and was very disappointed the find it did not have GBLAN as advertised, ever since I have been waiting for a driver/kernel update to make it work but it seems that this is not possible.
I have been waiting over 6 months for GBLAN, this is not good!!!!!!
I see you said your would give an adaptor for free, but as yet nothing has actually happened.
I am very happy with my Quad but I feel VERY unhappy with the support given.

Marty

This was their reply.

Hi Marty,

thats right , we will gie it for free. i think , we will have them in nearly 6-7 weeks here, than we will start.

Please contact me 6 weeks later, also we will have some announcement on our official pages.

Thanks

Onur

So after a wait of over 6 months looks like there will be a wait of getting on for another 2 months :sofahide:

Does anyone know if these adaptors use up much resources (CPU and memory wise)?

dfdream
12-04-13, 15:29
Also it means another USB Port gone....
Its the same rubbish they are going on about the Sat Tuner Cards too...

As most Quad owners know we got shafted over GBLAN :mad:
Now GB has said that they will give a GBLAN USB 2.0 adaptor (that is far from GBLAN in real life but a little better than fast ethernet) free to owners of Quads which have a certain serial number (the 1st 1000 made IIRC)
Now saying they will do something and "actually" doing something are two different things :p so I decided to send them an email, in fairness I did get a prompt reply.

This was their reply.

So after a wait of over 6 months looks like there will be a wait of getting on for another 2 months :sofahide:

Does anyone know if these adaptors use up much resources (CPU and memory wise)?

judge
03-05-13, 23:01
Just wondering...
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/8d31bb3146ed062b7b3ac76f6099763795c11b2f
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/5842870a8962291c8af5c1aa4d1c773bbf2396ba

make a differee to this issue?

marty
09-07-13, 16:50
Emailed them again today and guess what???????????????????????????????????????

Yep, will be a few more weeks :rolleyes:

Shadow81
12-07-13, 08:51
Do you really need gigabit lan? I have not had any issues with my GB Quad for speed (granted, I haven't uploaded my entire movie collection to it) - but I have streamed 10Gb mkv's without any loading times, skipping, or delays - and as my internet speed isnt over 100Mbs I haven't been affected in terms of download speed anyway.

Granted, it would be nice, as my entire network is gigabit, but it isn't that big a deal - especially if (in a few weeks) they will be increasing the speed.

I am very new to this so it is probably that I just havent really had the chance to experience where GB Lan would make an enormous difference - but for now I just cant see it. If it was that important I'd have gone for VU+ Solo or Duo2

Rob van der Does
12-07-13, 09:01
So you don't use a NAS (or any other LAN-attached storage device) for recording?
If so, you would experience problems with several simultaneous recordings/playback.

marty
12-07-13, 09:02
Do you really need gigabit lan?

Yes after I paid for it :p

Darrellr
12-07-13, 09:14
@Shadow81

Why do you think speed will be increasing soon? The GB Quad runs flat out on 100 Mbit LAN already, no complaints there. It can't go any faster. If you use an external gigabit USB adapter you can go from 12 mB/s to ~30 mB/s therefore 2.5x faster to upload a movie or copy one off to your NAS for storage. With a 20Gb file that takes the time to copy down from 1/2 an hour to 12 minutes (true GB lan would have got the job done in 5!)

marty
12-07-13, 09:18
@Shadow81

Why do you think speed will be increasing soon?

Because GB are giving out free GBLAN USB adaptors then (supposedly :rolleyes: )

Darrellr
12-07-13, 09:21
Because GB are giving out free GBLAN USB adaptors then (supposedly :rolleyes: )

Ahhh I thought he was still expecting the Quad to gain Gigabit capability by new drivers as many seemed to think

Shadow81
12-07-13, 09:34
Oh, ok. No, I dont use NAS for recording (only for streaming) - I use the internal HDD.

I know the overall perks of gigabit, hence my network being gigabit, I just didnt see it as that big a deal on these, but as I said regarding my reasoning for not getting it, seems I was right lol. You guys do a lot more with it than I do :P

Rob van der Does
12-07-13, 09:57
Hehe, of course: if you don't need Gb-LAN, you don't miss it either!

marty
12-07-13, 10:18
Ahhh I thought he was still expecting the Quad to gain Gigabit capability by new drivers as many seemed to think

Many thought that as is what GB promised earlier this year :fart2:

marty
24-07-13, 12:21
GB are expecting delivery of their GBLAN adaptors on Monday, shortly after distribution will start :)
When I have more info I'll post it here ;)

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 11:19
Thanks... i'm very interested in this, 'cause the streaming of HD Channels from my Quad to pc or tablet is slow and with freezes... and i think with this adapter the situation will be better...

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 11:23
Thanks... i'm very interested in this, 'cause the streaming of HD Channels from my Quad to pc or tablet is slow and with freezes... and i think with this adapter the situation will be better...
I don't think so: the present 100Mb-lan connection should do fine.
Maybe you're using WiFi for your PC and tablet? That would be asking for freezes indeed (the strength of a chain is in the weakest link).
Or the PC/tablet isn't fast enough for HD-decoding?

rossi2000
25-07-13, 12:35
GB are expecting delivery of their GBLAN adaptors on Monday, shortly after distribution will start :)
When I have more info I'll post it here ;)

how do they know where to ship them too?
my serial number falls within the allocated range for a free dongle.

do i need to inform them or something?

marty
25-07-13, 12:43
how do they know where to ship them too?
my serial number falls within the allocated range for a free dongle.

do i need to inform them or something?

Fook knows, I'm expecting detail early next week. When I find out I'll post it here :)

BubbleBalls
25-07-13, 14:50
Who the hell is Fook?

Tapatalker

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 15:15
Well... my Lan/Wan is provided by a sitecom wireless modem/router with 4 gigabit lan port and 802.11N wireless and a gigabit switch.
I've an iPad2 and there i can trust the problem with wi-fi speed.
But I've also a macbookpro attached to the gigabit switch, and also there, if I watch an hd channel, i have too many freezes. Too many means I can't watch it, but switch to SD channel, who works well.

rossi2000
25-07-13, 16:17
Who the hell is Fook?

Tapatalker

Fook is the founding member of Gigablue

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 17:07
Well... my Lan/Wan is provided by a sitecom wireless modem/router with 4 gigabit lan port and 802.11N wireless and a gigabit switch.
I've an iPad2 and there i can trust the problem with wi-fi speed.
But I've also a macbookpro attached to the gigabit switch, and also there, if I watch an hd channel, i have too many freezes. Too many means I can't watch it, but switch to SD channel, who works well.
WiFi is notorious in giving stream problems. Don't forget that the slowest device (e.g. the ipad in the garden or so) will define the actual network speed.

If wired 100Mb-LAN is giving stream problems there is something seriously wrong. I can't look into your network, but a bad cable/connection can kill the speed.
Or you're streaming too many streams simultaneous.

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 18:15
My macbookpro has 100 Mbps lan port, i've tried a test to a nas (d-link with giga lan port) attached on the same giga-lan switch.
This is a screenshot of the effective read/write speed.
If I watch a full-HD mkv video from my macbook reading it from the NAS, i can watch it clearly without problems.
Only opening HD channels streams from macbook or ipad (via openwebif or via dreamote and goodplayer) give me that problems, so i did think that problem was data "exiting" the Quad lan port.

Is there any plugin to use in vix image to check lan speed from the Quad?

Thanks!

Edit:

I've also tried an ftp read test (from windows, run -> ftp "Quad ip" -> bin -> hash -> get /media/hdd/movie/filename.ext ) from the macbook to the movie folder of the Quad and with a 6 MB file this is the answer:

I'va also tried ftp-ing up an 8.110.117 KB video with filezilla, getting from its interface a 4,6 - 4,7 MBs upload speed. then tried again the read speed test getting the next result:

<<will post soon>>

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 19:46
and here is the ftp download speed of the same 8+ GB video file.

It not seems to be a bad speed in my opinion...
am I wrong?

I think that with those speeds I must be able to watch HD streams without problems... but I can't... :confused:

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 19:54
To do a proper test I think you should play the same TS-recording from the Quad and from the NAS.
Remember a recording has much more data then 'just' an HD-file.

pooface
25-07-13, 19:55
and here is the ftp download speed of the same 8+ GB video file.

It not seems to be a bad speed in my opinion...
am I wrong?

I think that with those speeds I must be able to watch HD streams without problems... but I can't... :confused:

When you try watching the streams, are you using the internal ip, or an external address?

Darrellr
25-07-13, 19:56
There are loads of example speeds given in other threads.

Most users find they get 11.8 Mbytes/s to the built-in fast ethernet port and a max of around 32 MBytes/s using an external USB gigabit adapter and a gigabit switch.

Wifi speeds are switch/wifi chipset dependant and, in my experience, are poor regardless of the media device involved.

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 19:59
Oh, don't get me wrong: the USB-GB-lan adapter will indeed be faster then the onboard NiC. And indeed: several people have reported that.
Point is, that the onboard NiC should be able to cope with HD streams without any problem.

PS: I think you meant 32 Mbytes/s, not 32 MBytes/s ?

pooface
25-07-13, 20:08
PS: I think you meant 32 Mbytes/s, not 32 MBytes/s ?

What's the difference between MByte and Mbyte then? There is none afaik... There difference is between MBps and Mbps as far as I know :p All symantecs though

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 20:27
Isn't 1B equal to 7b then?

But I think you're right: the speed must be 32Mb/s (Mega bits per second) I think.

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 21:57
I'll give a try, but if i play from phone, from ipad or other remote device, also via wifi, a ts recording of an HD channel from the media/hdd/movie/ folder of the QUAD, after a some seconds time to hold, i can watch it regularry, without any problem or freeze.

Only live streams have these problem...

dragoscevero
25-07-13, 21:58
all by internal ip, no access from outside of the lan.

Other information: ftp download of a ts recording from the movie folder of the Quad has a speed of aout 11,5 MB/s...

seame
26-07-13, 02:56
I don't stream that often but when I have done ive not had any issues with freezing. My pc is connected to a bt hh3 via a tp link and neither of them are gigabit.

What is the range of serial numbers that receive the adapter?

Rob van der Does
26-07-13, 05:08
Only live streams have these problem...
So that would suggest an other problem then the capacity of the NiC.

dragoscevero
26-07-13, 09:06
Yes this is true.
It's another port, 8001 for streams and 80 for http access...
don't know if this can create problems...

Darrellr
27-07-13, 13:27
Isn't 1B equal to 7b then?

But I think you're right: the speed must be 32Mb/s (Mega bits per second) I think.

32 MBytes/s

Megabytes

1 byte = 8bits

Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap