PDA

View Full Version : Clarification for a n00b

nwootton
12-04-13, 10:06
Firstly let me say hello - this is the first post on this particular forum - although relatively technical, I'm beginning to dip my toe in these waters, so excuse obvious questions.

Secondly let me state this up front. I have a full, paid for, subscription to my UK satellite service.

My current box is starting to misbehave and I'm looking to purchase a replacement that I can setup to use my current card. I'm leaning towards a VU+ Duo/Enigma2 box with the appropriate VIX image. Now for the questions! Some of these are clarifications of things I've found in other posts and forums, but they are either not stated explicitly, refer to older images/firmware or even seem to contradict each other!

1) With the correct setup, will the new box update the subscription card with its entitlements or will I have to move it back to the original box for a 'manual' update?
2) Can I record from a VU+ box across a wired network to a central file store (in this case unRAID)? Is this advisable for HD content? Any idea of bandwidth requirements? Is it better to record locally and then transfer?
3) Are these recordings the pure transport stream (.ts) or are they some other file type or format?
4) Are recordings 'in the clear' or do they still require decryption from the original box/card to view?
5) If they are 'in the clear' are there any recommendations for software that allows for cropping, advert removal of these HD files?
6) Anyone tried the XBMC VU+ PVR plugin? Is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

nix

josh_g
12-04-13, 10:15
:hello: and :welcome:

i would spend the extra cash and get a solo2 much newer and faster than the duo!

1) yes you can i assume you have sky so search boxkey
2) yes you can im sure there is guide in the sticky section
3) yes they are .ts files
4) they are decrypted and can be watched when ever or on whatever
5) not sure of the name but there have been a few posts about some converters i use anyvideoconverter although it cant edit
6)nope i havn't

Hope that helps!!

nwootton
12-04-13, 11:03
josh_g - Thanks for that :thumbsup:

By faster I assume you mean channel change speeds?

Larry-G
12-04-13, 11:23
josh_g - Thanks for that :thumbsup:

By faster I assume you mean channel change speeds?

The solo2 has a vastly faster processor and more ram meaning it does almost every thing faster, from its lightning fast bootspeed to its channel zaping etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

josh_g
12-04-13, 11:24
the vu duo is an old box so has less RAM and smaller processor and slower connection at the back so will not be as quick in all activities as the solo2 . i chose the TM-Twin over the Duo as it was bit newer and the solo2 wast out at the time.

if you are going to invest i would defiantly get the solo2 :D

have a look at the sticky guides in the vix section it has been invaluable resource on my lunix box journey!

nwootton
12-04-13, 14:57
Guys thanks for the information, one more question....

I see from various comments both here and other forums that the main UK satellite broadcaster is apparently changing/changed the way that their cards are associated with the individual STB to prevent using third party boxes.

Is this actually happening across the board or is it limited in some way? Is there a workaround or is it going to make all my spending £300 on a VU+ a waste of time 5 minutes after I get it all set up?

josh_g
12-04-13, 16:13
what box are you using? if its an old white Thompson you will be ok just refuse to upgrade you box when they ask you too. if it is a new HD one it may only be a matter of time but no one is really sure when it will be a widespread problem

Movies and sport are the reason you need a boxkey on cccam when using a sky card.. im sure when the boxkey method stops working someone will come up with a solution to the problem.

Larry-G
12-04-13, 21:55
what box are you using? if its an old white Thompson you will be ok just refuse to upgrade you box when they ask you too. if it is a new HD one it may only be a matter of time but no one is really sure when it will be a widespread problem

Movies and sport are the reason you need a boxkey on cccam when using a sky card.. im sure when the boxkey method stops working someone will come up with a solution to the problem.

Well we can only hope so otherwise if its any thing like they did in Australia were all screwed, there channels have been black for around a year if not longer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shizik
13-04-13, 00:43
on solo 2 you also have Gigabit Ethernet