PDA

View Full Version : TM-2T, is no browser use a problem?

moonbeam
06-04-13, 19:00
I am interested in getting either a TM-2T or a Vu+ Solo2. I still have a TM 1500 CI+ from around ten years ago. Got a lot of use out of it, is still good (though patching is long gone) but it's time to update. I like the easy usability of TM and don't know a whole lot about the Vu+. I understand the Vu+ Solo2 has an Opera browser but the TM-2T has no browser to use.

In what way is not having a browser going to be a drawback? Is it a problem to delete and update? Is it necessary to use a memory stick every time instead of ethernet? I see there is an ethernet switch on the TM-2T. Is the problem that you can't see Youtube vids? Airplay? (I would like to use Airplay). What are the main drawbacks of not having a browser?

judge
06-04-13, 20:50
Youtube & Airplay both work on either box using plugins available in the feeds.
I've never had a need to use a browser on any of my receivers, so no idea how well it works.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd go for the Solo2 above the TM2T for now.

moonbeam
07-04-13, 09:35
Is the TM2T not able to be on your home network and a Vu+ Solo2 can be, because there is no browser on the TM2T? Or would it be on your home network anyway? It would be good to access all your channels from another room. Guess you would need another receiver to do that.

Larry-G
07-04-13, 10:08
The browser is only really needed for use with HbbTv, which currently is not even available via UK TV services.

http://www.hbbtv.org/

The receiver will in no way be handicapped without a browser, in fact i dont use one at all on any of my receivers and it has not affected how i use them one little bit.

for things like streaming channels to a PC you have a web interface included in the image.

moonbeam
07-04-13, 10:46
@ phoenix: thanks! I am in France, where there is HbbTv, but chances are HbbTv will work in a geolock kind of way with IPTV receivers. I won't be able to use an IPTV receiver, as my internet is not that speedy. :(

Larry-G
07-04-13, 10:57
To be honest i'm not really that clued up on HbbTV but we do have some testers on the continent such as Rob who may be able to give better advice about that.

moonbeam
07-04-13, 12:26
I look forward to what Rob has to say! Thanks again!