PDA

View Full Version : HDMI-CEC Problem

sandiego69
01-04-13, 11:22
Posted this in another Forum but replies were not very helpful. Should have posted here first.

I am using the latest OpenVix image with a Sony PVR and the Solo2 both connected (via HDMI) through a Sony amplifier. I am having real problems switching from one external input to another on the TV via the 'two way' single HDMI cable. The amplifier does not have to be switched on as it has a throughput bypass in standby mode. In other words the amp. is only on when I want to listen in surround sound.
When the amp. is on I can change inputs with ease, so, am I asking for the impossible?

chaser
01-04-13, 12:05
I'm not sure you'll be able to achieve what you're looking for. When your amp is in standby I suspect that you will not be able to use HDMI-CEC to influence which HDMI input on your amp is passed through to your TV. This is probably fixed in the amp.

Is there any reason that you only want to use your amp when listening to surround sound? Why wouldn't you want to use your amp when either your Solo2 or PVR is switched on - even when surround sound is not available?

sandiego69
01-04-13, 14:36
You may be right about the behaviour of HDMI when in standby as I have tried most settings on all the equipment.

As to having the amp. in standby, I am trying to cut down on electricity consumption wherever possible. Maybe I am not saving that much to worry about but every little helps.

s31teg
01-04-13, 20:33
do you not have it setup wrong?

just use your amp to pull the audio from your tv?

so plug amp via hdmi to tv
and plug vu into tv via hdmi

then when you turn on vu, this will turn on tv and amp via cec

sandiego69
02-04-13, 07:47
do you not have it setup wrong?

just use your amp to pull the audio from your tv?

so plug amp via hdmi to tv
and plug vu into tv via hdmi

then when you turn on vu, this will turn on tv and amp via cec

OK. That sounds a good idea but surely I will lose all the AC3/Dolby Surround sound options? I know the Sony TV and Amp. connect together with one HDMI cable that works in both directions. Are you suggesting that if the Vu+ is sending out AC3/Dolby then by routing back to the Amp. I will hear full Dolby etc.?

Thanks for all replies by the way.

BubbleBalls
02-04-13, 08:49
OK. That sounds a good idea but surely I will lose all the AC3/Dolby Surround sound options? I know the Sony TV and Amp. connect together with one HDMI cable that works in both directions. Are you suggesting that if the Vu+ is sending out AC3/Dolby then by routing back to the Amp. I will hear full Dolby etc.?

Thanks for all replies by the way.

That depends on your tv. I have Phillips which will only relay 2.1 channels to the amp, regardless of input. Hopefully your Sony is better equipped.

Tapatalker

dilse
05-01-14, 18:06
I have a similar setup, but a Samsung TV and Yamaha amp. I think your TV needs to have the ARC (Audio Return Channel) option.
I can switch to HDMI ports from the TV, even when my Amp is switched off.

I know it doesn't help you, but ARC maybe something to look into.

Posted this in another Forum but replies were not very helpful. Should have posted here first.

I am using the latest OpenVix image with a Sony PVR and the Solo2 both connected (via HDMI) through a Sony amplifier. I am having real problems switching from one external input to another on the TV via the 'two way' single HDMI cable. The amplifier does not have to be switched on as it has a throughput bypass in standby mode. In other words the amp. is only on when I want to listen in surround sound.
When the amp. is on I can change inputs with ease, so, am I asking for the impossible?

DaMacFunkin
06-01-14, 21:34
My Panasonic VT50 (2013 top of the range) will not pass 5.1 to my Yamaha 637 (2013 multi award winner) from any other input except its own tuners or media player, unfortunatly the pass through on your amp will more than likley have to be done on a by input basis, on my Yamaha i dont even need to switch it on, it will switch via the remote in standby mode, the only way to do this would to wire in an auto sensing switch before the amp stage, but you would be risking signal degredation doing this.