PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo cannot FTP into box

Ibby
01-04-13, 00:32
hi folks.

I updated the image of my vu+ duo (to the most recent version if VIX) yesterday and as a result my plugins that i uploaded have gone. For some reason the box wont restore from back up (the previous version of VIX is a pretty old version 2.4 I believe).

in any event when i try and ftp into the box in order to reinstall the plug ins and cams etc so that I can update the bouquets via the remote, i am unable to log in.

I am using the VU control centre to try and log into the box but I get the following message as an error:

" Access violation at address 00542856 in module 'VuCC.exe'. Read of address 00000000".

I have tried to log in to the other box I have downstairs and i get the same message. I have used filezilla and many other ftp log in tools and again they do not let me log in.

I have logged into the box via putty in order to change the password but again come across the same error.

Have reflashed the box a couple of times and not tried to restore my settings as I understand that this may cause some issues, but again I get the same error message as above.

Also tried the IP address in my chrome address bar to see if open web will work but this times out.

Any idea what is going on here and is there any alternative as to how i can input plugins and cams into the box into the box without having to use the network if i cant get it to work?

Many thanks for any help folks

abu baniaz
01-04-13, 00:48
Did you upgrade the bootloader too? The latest one is from 13 May 2012.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Vu%2BDuo/

You can install ipks by just putting a fat32 USB while watching TV. You will be prompted to install ipks. Obviously network issue still needs resolving.

Ibby
01-04-13, 01:20
Did you upgrade the bootloader too? The latest one is from 13 May 2012.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Vu%2BDuo/

You can install ipks by just putting a fat32 USB while watching TV. You will be prompted to install ipks. Obviously network issue still needs resolving.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I did upgrade the bootloader. I also have the same issue with av2nd box that is downstairs and is also upgraded to the latest version of VIX.

Can cams also be loaded via USB as well as cfg files?

abu baniaz
01-04-13, 01:32
You can install any ipk by USB, so yes for part of your question. You can try tuxbox (download from feeds) to copy files from USB. However, I would recommend you resolve your networking issue first.

Sorry for the basic question, have you verified that the IP address has not changed, firewall blocking access to STB?

judge
01-04-13, 07:11
In the release thread for the 3.0 image, did you notice the big red warning?
You can't restore a full 2.4 backup to a 3.x image.
A reflash is required now to get a fully functioning image.

Ibby
01-04-13, 09:16
In the release thread for the 3.0 image, did you notice the big red warning?
You can't restore a full 2.4 backup to a 3.x image.
A reflash is required now to get a fully functioning image.

I realise the mistake now! Have tried a reflash of the box with the same problem. Maybe I should try flashing with an older version then newer version again?

Regarding firewall I have checked all of that out it isn't the problem as the FTP was working fine on the other box downstairs running 3.0 and I have not changed any settings and now the FTP isn't working for that box either. I have also set up a box for a friend in his home last week (a new vu+ duo running 3.0) and he had the same Internet set up I have (BT Infinity) and I was able to FTP into his box using my laptop perfectly fine!

judge
01-04-13, 09:38
If you are still getting the "Access violation at address 00542856 in module 'VuCC.exe'. Read of address 00000000" error, it suggests you are still using a 2.4 backup on a 3.x build.

Grab the latest available build from openvix.co.uk and fresh flash making sure not to restore any backups.

Ibby
01-04-13, 11:56
Ok will give it a try later today and report back.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

satmanbasil
01-04-13, 15:28
Hi mate

Also if your reflashing a stb the user password is reset to "root" you have to then go in via telnet type root and return then type passwd to reset your password which you type again confirming this will then if using the same password as before allow your FTP to enter the files

Ibby
01-04-13, 17:09
Hi mate

Also if your reflashing a stb the user password is reset to "root" you have to then go in via telnet type root and return then type passwd to reset your password which you type again confirming this will then if using the same password as before allow your FTP to enter the files

Is this unique to VIX 3.0? Never had to do this before or for my mates new box that had VIX installed already on purchase. Just FTP straight into the box using root as the username and leaving the password blank

satmanbasil
01-04-13, 21:20
Hi mate

Your leaving your stb open to attack if you dont set a password not the worlds best kept secret the user name "root" for linux stb. for your own protection you should set a password.

And answer to your question no its not unique since the introduction of linux stb's its always been a must to set up user/password to protect your system.

Ibby
02-04-13, 00:25
Spent over an hour this evening starting everything from scratch (downloaded the most recent version of VIX and also upgraded the bootloader again just in case).

Also disabled the firewall on my laptop in case it was interfering.

However I am not able to FTP into the box(I still get the same error message I put up in my OP. it's as if the IP address for the box doesn't exist or isn't recognised as I am unable to telnet into the box and putty also times out. The box itself shows my IP address as 192.168.1.70 and all connection tests show that the network is fine.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, my only option is to take a look at my BT Infinity modem settings to see if that reveals anything. After that I might have to give VIX up and see what happens with black hole I'm afraid which is a shame as I love the VIX image

satmanbasil
02-04-13, 02:29
Hi mate
Few things to try
A.. check your router and see is the IP addy you given the STB is assigned you could also use dchp and have the router assign a IP if that helps
B... dont reinstall your plugins as since vix has been upgraded over the past months some plugings are no longer compatable with the image and this may cause the ftp to fail as it cannot read the files. do a normal reflash and download from online plugins what you need do one at a time and test connection incase one your using is the cause
c... can you telnet the receiver with the ip you have and type when asked login "root" and when you see the# type "ps" and return you should then see the start up

Ibby
11-04-13, 19:55
Right there is a happy conclusion at the end of this thread. In the end I reflashed both the box downstairs and the problem box upstairs and lo and behold I can now FTP into both boxes again. I don't know what caused the problems but it might be a lesson to folk who are running more than one box on the same network - do not restore from an old back up if you are planning on upgrading to the newest versions of VIX!

Many thanks to all those who replied to this thread and who tried to help me out

satmanbasil
12-04-13, 15:48
Hi mate

Glad to hear your sorted out the problem.
Thinking what it could have been did both your boxes have separate IP address and was you using partnerbox software to communicate between the two ? just a thought after reading your last message.