PDA

View Full Version : vu+ solo 2 or technomate ( which one )

satelliteguy68
29-03-13, 13:00
i have had my superb vu+ solo for 4 years now still working a treat..but want to upgrade to either vu+ 2 or the technomate..i have a 1mt motorised but as where i live i have had to have a mini dish fitted also..a\b switch box to change to other satellites.im hearing good things about the techno..but love the vu+.any thoughts would be appreciated.

pooface
29-03-13, 13:03
My opinion would be to go for the solo2 if you can afford it, for the added benefits of the faster cpu, transcoding ability etc...

The technomate is a great box, and if you are wanting to save a few pounds, I'm pretty sure you won't feel far wrong with it, but it won't be a huge step up from what you currently have, apart from the dual tuner.

What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade in the first place?

satelliteguy68
29-03-13, 13:17
mainly twin tuner..recordings etc..and feeling i need to upgrade as i say vu+ solo has been fantastic..i can afford either i just wondered what apart from the price over the technomate and vu+ solo 2

judge
29-03-13, 14:03
Having both, if I was to buy another one tomorrow, I'd go for the solo2 again.
The tm2t is a great box though.

Larry-G
29-03-13, 14:31
Having both, if I was to buy another one tomorrow, I'd go for the solo2 again.
The tm2t is a great box though.

Same here. Although my TM twin and TM 2T are great little boxes id still go for the solo2 its light years ahaed of any other box and blindingly fast.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

satelliteguy68
29-03-13, 15:42
thanks guys looking vu+ solo 2

Tom01
12-06-13, 21:49
Hi guys, new to the forum here and the satellite world in general, been doing some reading on here and looking for opinions on which box to go for, similar to satelliteguy68 query, only im looking at VU+ Duo Twin Tuner Vrs Technomate TM-Twin-OE (Technomate TM-2T currently out of stock with the sponsor)

Both boxes are the same price with the sponsor, so price is not an issue, just looking for your thoughts on which box is best and why?

Appreciate any insights, thanks

Mr. Mister
12-06-13, 22:02
If i had to choose one of those 2 .. i would choose the Duo..

But.. Also have a look at the Gigablue Quad.. before you buy..

Plug and play tuners just released today.. So this now means that you can have 4 tuners in one box..

Totally rock solid as well..

Wizard55
12-06-13, 22:05
Having and both I buy the duo. But am also going to buy a quad. It's cheaper than the solo 2 and you can add 2 tuners.

Mr. Mister
12-06-13, 22:13
But am also going to buy a quad. It's cheaper than the solo 2 and you can add 2 tuners.

You wont be disappointed buddy..

Tom01
12-06-13, 22:34
Thanks for the replies guys, so in terms of the 3 boxes VU+ Duo | Technomate TM-Twin-OE | GigaBlue Quad

I can see the GigaBlue seems to rein supreme on hardware (processor and RAM etc), but does it have the same features/capabilities as the other 2 boxes with regards available plugins, video decoding, what EPG's and Images it can handle, and I guess a big one would be is it widely used by people on the site here for support etc in setup...

Im trying to figure out why if the gigablue reins supreme in performance over the other two boxes, and offers all the same features, why are all 3 priced the same? (actually gigablue is £20 more) Normally price can dictate quality/what you get (and I say "normally" - i know there can be exceptions), and if gigablue is a much better box I would expect its price to reflect this...

Does anyone have anything negative about it?

Thanks again

pooface
12-06-13, 22:50
The duos are really old boxes now, soon to be superseded by the duo2. At the time of release, the boxes original rrp was £400 iirc...

Now, the duo and tm twin are roughly the same specs wise, but tm twin has been later to join the market on broadcom e2 boxes...

The gigablue is also a relative new comer...

Out of the 3, for £20 difference, I would probably go for the gigablue. I have heard reports of failed recordings on gigablue though... But then again, I've had failed recordings on tm twin...

judge
12-06-13, 23:17
If the TM Twin & VU Duo are the same price, i'd still go for the Duo even though it's reaching it's end of production with the Solo2 released & Duo2 soon...
If you can afford the extra ££ for the Solo2, I think it's well worth it too.

I don't have a GB Quad to compare with but as Mr. Mister says above "You wont be disappointed buddy..", Id be happy to take his recommendations any day.
We probably won't see many reports on how well the new P&P dual tuners work till early next week, but it certainly looks like a great option.
It does still seem to have an issue with advertised GB LAN though, but if that isn't an issue for your network, I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Mr. Mister
12-06-13, 23:18
I know a few on the forum here have had small niggles with the Quad.. Me personally.. Mine has been rock solid.. no issues at all..

It all depends on your needs.. what is right for me.. may not be right for you..

judge
12-06-13, 23:56
I know a few on the forum here have had small niggles with the Quad.. Me personally.. Mine has been rock solid.. no issues at all..

Probably the same as every other box so...

It all depends on your needs.. what is right for me.. may not be right for you..
exactly... had a chance to play with a GB combo Sat & Terrestrial for a weekend & was well impressed.

IMO, VU remote controls are still my favourites though, not a reason to buy a box but a consideraation...

Mr. Mister
13-06-13, 00:07
Should have added..

Thanks to marty.. The blank recording issue on the Quad has been sorted..

pooface
13-06-13, 07:19
Should have added..

Thanks to marty.. The blank recording issue on the Quad has been sorted..

Must've missed that post... so what was the issue?

marty
13-06-13, 10:13
Must've missed that post... so what was the issue?

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27318-Blank-recordings