PDA

View Full Version : Vu Solo sometime slow responding and crashes quite frequent

Delvey
20-03-13, 17:28
Had my Vu solo running fine since Christmas, now the last few weeks it has begun to be really slow responding and crashing frequently. It has improved a little since moving the EPG to a flash drive instead of hard drive but still can be really slow. It also randomly crashes. It is running the latest version of VIX
Have attacthed all recent logs
Regards
Delvey

Larry-G
20-03-13, 17:32
The EPG should never be stored on the flash as it can corrupt very easily filling up the flash and causing a boot loop.

Also the EPG is held in live memory while enigma is running so saving it to the HDD would not cause any issues there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Delvey
20-03-13, 17:48
The EPG should never be stored on the flash as it can corrupt very easily filling up the flash and causing a boot loop.

Also the EPG is held in live memory while enigma is running so saving it to the HDD would not cause any issues there.

Ok, but would this cause the constant slow down and crashes?

Larry-G
20-03-13, 17:54
Ok, but would this cause the constant slow down and crashes?

Could be many things to be honest such as plugins you may have installed ( have not looked at your logs yet as im online on my mobile ). But we'll look into it.

Delvey
20-03-13, 17:58
Could be many things to be honest such as plugins you may have installed ( have not looked at your logs yet as im online on my mobile ). But we'll look into it.

Apart from the plugins that come with the vix image, I have not installed any plugins
Tred to re-flash as well, but get ' no displayable files' error

judge
20-03-13, 18:46
The crash logs are for build 600, grab the latest build, currently 632 from here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/) and flash that.

Delvey
20-03-13, 19:03
The crash logs are for build 600, grab the latest build, currently 632 from here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/) and flash that.

Thanks, however cannot seem to flash it, says no displayable files

Larry-G
20-03-13, 19:12
are you sure you have the correct file structure on the USB stick ?.

Format the Stick to FAT32
Download the image from www.openvix.co.uk
extract the archive and copy the folder named vuplus directly to the USB stick, then try flashing the receiver again.

now i dont have a solo so i'm not fully sure of the exact flash process for this receiver but no doubt some one will help with that.

Delvey
20-03-13, 19:20
are you sure you have the correct file structure on the USB stick ?.

Format the Stick to FAT32
Download the image from www.openvix.co.uk
extract the archive and copy the folder named vuplus directly to the USB stick, then try flashing the receiver again.

now i dont have a solo so i'm not fully sure of the exact flash process for this receiver but no doubt some one will help with that.
Thanks this is what I am doing. I then insert into front usb slot after turning power off, then once usb stick is in power on

judge
20-03-13, 19:23
The only reason it would say "says no displayable files" is if you plug the USB stick into the box when it's on.
Do as pheonix says & reboot the box with the USB stick in it.

Delvey
20-03-13, 19:30
The only reason it would say "says no displayable files" is if you plug the USB stick into the box when it's on.
Do as pheonix says & reboot the box with the USB stick in it.

Thanks, shall I do this via remote or with the button on the rear?

judge
20-03-13, 19:38
either way is fine.

Larry-G
20-03-13, 19:38
Thanks, shall I do this via remote or with the button on the rear?

Fully power the box down by the rear for at least 1 minute, then with the stick inserted in the receiver power it on and go from there.

Delvey
20-03-13, 20:13
Fully power the box down by the rear for at least 1 minute, then with the stick inserted in the receiver power it on and go from there.

thanks, button on back is a reset button, will unplug from mains for a minute

Larry-G
20-03-13, 20:34
thanks, button on back is a reset button, will unplug from mains for a minute

as i said i dont have a solo so i'm not sure what buttons it has, but removing from the mains will be fine.

Delvey
21-03-13, 19:05
another crash just now, will have to reflash me thinks

Delvey
21-03-13, 19:27
Cannot get box to flash. Unplug from mains, inserting usb stick then plug back in. Comes on, VIX image rotates in corner then box goes off, but not flashed. Anyone any ideas?

Delvey
21-03-13, 19:34
If i flash box, should all my settings be reset?

judge
21-03-13, 20:07
If i flash box, should all my settings be reset?

Yes, flashing erases all your config files, so back them up first...

Have you extracted the build in the correct file format on the USB stick?
When you flash the Solo, you will see the led in front of the box flash orange while the flash is taking place.

Delvey
21-03-13, 21:23

When you flash the Solo, you will see the led in front of the box flash orange while the flash is taking place.

Yes correct file format I presume, downloaded form the vix image database
No orange light on the front of mine

judge
21-03-13, 21:32
Use the format tool in this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool&p=78&viewfull=1#post78).

Make sure no other USB devices are connected & flash it again.

Delvey
23-03-13, 18:00

Files I have are
root_cfe_auto.jffs2
reboot.update
kernal_cfe_auto.bin
imageversion
splash_cfe_auto.bin

Cannot get it to flash at all

judge
23-03-13, 18:10
So, on your USB stick, you have:

\vuplus\solo\ & then these files in there?

Delvey
23-03-13, 18:13
So, on your USB stick, you have:

\vuplus\solo\ & then these files in there?

Correct, nothing is happening, and the vu box creates a recordings etc folders on there

judge
23-03-13, 18:16
You're going to have to try with another stick so.
I've never had any issues with loads of sticks, but some folks seem to.

Delvey
23-03-13, 18:20
Are these the right file names?
what should the usb stick be mounted as? media/sdb1?

judge
23-03-13, 18:32
yeah, correct filenames.
so, as long as the USB stick is formatted properly and you have those files in the correct directory structure, the box should flash without issue.

are you powering off the box, putting the USB stick in the front port & powering it up again?

chucknorris666
23-03-13, 18:42
Had this problem with a friends solo what we done was removed the external hdd from the back, flashed with the latest boot loader first then flashed with the latest image. We used the small reset button at the rear to restart the box. Unsure if it was the external hdd/ using latest boot loader/ or using the small reset button that got it to work. Worth a try hope this helps mate

chucknorris666
23-03-13, 18:43
Ps no need to mount USB first just format fat32 put you files in then stick it in box then restart it.

Delvey
23-03-13, 18:52
after trying 2 other usb sticks, it now has done it. Hopefully will sort the crashes out

Delvey
25-03-13, 16:19
Reflashed it, and had problems with the hard drive when recording. So removed that and used a USB drive for epg data etc
However this is still causing problems. Could I have a faulty USB slot?
Its driving me round the bend now.

Delvey
16-04-13, 16:09
I am still having loads of problems with this solo
I did a fresh flash with the newest build, 649, yet still getting a lot of crashes. When it crashes it does not restart, normally screen gets stuck and have to hit the rear reset button. Tried a different hard drive without success, tried a flash drive with no success. Tried nothing on the rear USB port and still crashing. This can happen several times a day. Any suggestions, or could my solo be faulty?

judge
16-04-13, 16:12
upload some of the crash logs from build 649.

Delvey
16-04-13, 16:49

They are the last few.
Thanks

Delvey
17-04-13, 16:13
Now frozen again trying to use cross epg, one more flash then it is back to the shop, it should not be this buggy.
No log file either

Delvey
17-04-13, 16:26
And another crash, got a log this time

judge
17-04-13, 17:27
What epg sources are you using?

OldSkulRide
17-04-13, 17:41
I havent looked at your log files but you should remove epg.dat and consider using something else than CrossEPG. Solo has little RAM and you are limited with the number of EPG entries too.

Also from my past experience ViX is more RAM hungry than OpenPLi, so maybe you should try some other images too. But things might be different now as I havent been using ViX for months now.

Delvey
17-04-13, 17:48
What epg sources are you using?

Crossepg, Opentv for sky uk and sky ITA, rytec for greek. Possible that all the EPG is clogging the RAM up?

Rob van der Does
17-04-13, 17:53
For running Cross on a Solo you really MUST enable a SWAP-file (the process, especially the parsing process, is very memory-hungry).

But your crashlog suggests a seg-fault (driver problem), so if the swap doesn't help, I would reflash the box. And make sure you don't install to much on a Solo.

Delvey
17-04-13, 19:13
For running Cross on a Solo you really MUST enable a SWAP-file (the process, especially the parsing process, is very memory-hungry).

But your crashlog suggests a seg-fault (driver problem), so if the swap doesn't help, I would reflash the box. And make sure you don't install to much on a Solo.
Thanks, I have literally just done a reflash now with the latest VIX image (build 649). I have also removed everything off my hard drive and let the box flash it, and set up a swap file of 96mb. So will see how it goes. If I still get crashes I will removed the opentv epg and try something else

Delvey
18-04-13, 17:42
changed the epg to use rytec instead of opentv but not all the channels populate, any suggestions?

Delvey
21-04-13, 07:56
Everything seems to be runing good now. Had one or two moments where the vix logo would spin but no crashes. Only problem is, stopped using opentv but not all the channels are populated when I use rytec xmltv. Anyone any clue? Should I try multiple sources?

Delvey
22-04-13, 15:55
Thought it was running to well, tried recording something last night, blank screen this morning and had to restart from button on the back. Only recorded 10 minutes then crashed but left no log. So tried it again. Film recorded ok but crahes when I try to play back. Starting to think there must be a hardware error somewhere
Here is the logs for anyone with more knowledge to look at

judge
22-04-13, 16:05
what are you recording from thhe solo onto?
also, a lot of:

WARNING: EPG Cache is corrupt (eventData::~eventData), you should restart Enigma!
WARNING: EPG Cache is corrupt (eventData::~eventData), you should restart Enigma!
in those logs.
Can you try using less EPG sources for a while & see how it runs.

Delvey
22-04-13, 16:07
what are you recording from thhe solo onto?
also, a lot of:

in those logs.
Can you try using less EPG sources for a while & see how it runs.

Using a 500gb seagate hard drive. Write speed is around 35mb/s and read is faster
Only EPG data I have used is Rytec UK XMLTV one.
Can I use a usb hub in the SOLO? Was thinking of keeping EPG on a flash drive and recordings on Hard Drive

Rob van der Does
22-04-13, 16:07
Or better: stop E2, delete epg.dat, restart E2, make new EPG settings and reload EPG.

Larry-G
22-04-13, 16:08
Using a 500gb seagate hard drive. Write speed is around 35mb/s and read is faster
Only EPG data I have used is Rytec UK XMLTV one.
Can I use a usb hub in the SOLO? Was thinking of keeping EPG on a flash drive and recordings on Hard Drive

Yes although it may be best to use a externally powered hub as opposed to a bus powered one.

Delvey
22-04-13, 16:12
Or better: stop E2, delete epg.dat, restart E2, make new EPG settings and reload EPG.

Do this in telnet?
Is the command init 4 then init 6

Larry-G
22-04-13, 16:15
Do this in telnet?
Is the command init 4 then init 6

Yes open a telnet session then use init 4 to put enigma to sleep, once you have made the changes / deleted the required files use init 3 or init 6 to reboot enigma ( init 6 reboots the whole box and not just enigma ). Once the receiver biots back up redownload your EPG.

Delvey
22-04-13, 16:20
Yes open a telnet session then use init 4 to put enigma to sleep, once you have made the changes / deleted the required files use init 3 or init 6 to reboot enigma ( init 6 reboots the whole box and not just enigma ). Once the receiver biots back up redownload your EPG.

Thanks, will give it a try

ea.xlns
23-04-13, 09:22
Has this worked for you Delvey?

I am having the exact same problems with a Solo. EPG is being stored on the hard drive and after it saves then loads the data the box is incredibly slow. It leads to a crash then restarts itself. Following restart the EPG data is gone and I need to redownload. I'm also using the 28.2 opentv source.

Rob van der Does
23-04-13, 09:49
I am having the exact same problems with a Solo. EPG is being stored on the hard drive and after it saves then loads the data the box is incredibly slow. It leads to a crash then restarts itself. Following restart the EPG data is gone and I need to redownload. I'm also using the 28.2 opentv source.
And you use a Swap-file, as has been advised for the Solo?

Delvey
23-04-13, 18:33
Has this worked for you Delvey?

I stopped using opentv and it seemed to have solved the problem of crashes. Even using a swapfile using opentv caused crashes.
I used rytec for the source for Sly UK, Sly IT plus polish and greek channels and it was fine, so I would avoid openTV

But I now have a new problem. My HDD now says unavailable, with a secondary item that the Solo thinks is a secondary USB device, even though nothing else is connected. So I tried a reboot, nothing, tried mounting, nothing, even tried setting up mounts, which resulted in a crash. Anyone had a similar issue?

I am getting that annoyed with this I may sell up and get a solo2, loads more RAM so I imagine crashing because of EPG data shouldn't happen, though it should not happen with the Solo

Larry-G
23-04-13, 18:54
I stopped using opentv and it seemed to have solved the problem of crashes. Even using a swapfile using opentv caused crashes.
I used rytec for the source for Sly UK, Sly IT plus polish and greek channels and it was fine, so I would avoid openTV

But I now have a new problem. My HDD now says unavailable, with a secondary item that the Solo thinks is a secondary USB device, even though nothing else is connected. So I tried a reboot, nothing, tried mounting, nothing, even tried setting up mounts, which resulted in a crash. Anyone had a similar issue?

I am getting that annoyed with this I may sell up and get a solo2, loads more RAM so I imagine crashing because of EPG data shouldn't happen, though it should not happen with the Solo

Have you ever had TSpanel installed ? as that is known to cause all kinds of problems with HDD, USB and network mounts.

Delvey
23-04-13, 19:02
Have you ever had TSpanel installed ? as that is known to cause all kinds of problems with HDD, USB and network mounts.

No. The only plugins I have installed are the default ones and cacheflush

ea.xlns
28-04-13, 22:19

I did set up a swap file but this didn't make a difference. Maybe I need to use rytec and not opentv as advised by Delvey?

Btw are there any instructions on how to set up a swap file properly?

Rob van der Does
29-04-13, 04:19
A swap file can be set up via the menu (BiX --> SWAP-manager). Choose the largest one. An Ext3/4 formatted HDD or USB-stick must be available.
The Solo doesn't have a lot of RAM, so even with a swap-file it is possible to overstretch the box (as Cross needs a lot of memory, depending on the settings). Best is to use Cross only for Open-TV, and the XMLTV-importer for any RYTEC-files.

Delvey
20-05-13, 16:03
Well its all been running nice until recently. Last few days the solo has become slow and unresponsive at times. I am only using rytec with XMLTV importer but I do not think this the problem. Everything I have tried, apart from flashing the box again has not worked. Also, when I turn the my tv on after work etc the channel has changed to BBC 1, as if it has crashed. Yet there is no logs etc to view.
And how hot should the solo get? Mine is very warm to touch after a few hours, could even say hot

judge
20-05-13, 19:18
If it's not generating any crash logs, please enable debug logs & upload one the next time this happens.

Delvey
21-05-13, 09:22
If it's not generating any crash logs, please enable debug logs & upload one the next time this happens.

Thanks. I'll double check but I'm sure its turned on. Any suggestions about the heat issues?

Rob van der Does
21-05-13, 09:46
Any suggestions about the heat issues?
What 'heat issues'?
I went through the whole (rather lengthy) thread but didn't notice any heat.

Delvey
21-05-13, 13:10
On the previous page. The solo is getting warm, sometimes hot to touch

Rob van der Does
21-05-13, 13:13
The temperature of the outside of the box doesn't have a relation with the temperature of the chipset.

Delvey
02-07-13, 21:16
Still having some slowness with this.
Have checked RAm which has 10mb free and flash has around 12mb free. Unsure if this makes a difference