PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Gutted

17-03-13, 09:09
Hi,

I got up this morning to watch last night's (postponed) F1 qualy. Using the green button the timer overview tells me that recording done, 23.42 to 04.35, 293 minutes. On watching it the recording info bar shows 30 minutes and indeed the recording stopped half hour in. The same thing when I tried to watch the actual F1 race.

This can't be right can it?

Cheers,

Keith.

IAmATeaf
17-03-13, 13:01
Have you checked the actual file size and also if you've run out of disk space? also how is you hdd formatted?

17-03-13, 17:38
Hi,
Normally I record to a HDD in my PC, for this weekend (for very boring reasons) I was using a USB HDD. It had about 400 gig of space. No idea how to tell how it's formatted, I'd have thought the HDD (slave) in the PC and the USB HDD were both FAT32, but can't be sure. I'm guessing this is the crux, judging by your question.
I'm now back to the PC and recording fine.
I have ordered a NAS to connect up to my router which I'll use to record to in the future. How should I format that so that it'll record properly (presumably it'll be all about the file size)?

Cheers,

Keith

IAmATeaf
17-03-13, 22:54
If the HDD is formatted FAT32 then that has a max filesize limit of 4gb so the box would report disk full when the recording reaches that size. You ideally want to get the HDD formatted in ext3/ext4 to overcome this but if you use the drive on the PC too then I'm not too sure if the PC will be able to open the contents.

portbhoy
18-03-13, 00:48
Exactly the same thing happened to me only with the race, internal drive initialised by the box only recorded 293 minutes latest vix image installed?

Larry-G
18-03-13, 01:10
Exactly the same thing happened to me only with the race, internal drive initialised by the box only recorded 293 minutes latest vix image installed?

live sporting events have a tendency to overrun their allotted schedules, as it is yours recorded just under 5 hrs so did the race overrun its slot ?.

18-03-13, 08:24
If the HDD is formatted FAT32 then that has a max filesize limit of 4gb so the box would report disk full when the recording reaches that size. You ideally want to get the HDD formatted in ext3/ext4 to overcome this but if you use the drive on the PC too then I'm not too sure if the PC will be able to open the contents.

Spot on, both files were 4 gig. But the PC is Fat32 also, no? I can record to that no probs.
What should I do with the NAS when it arrives?

Cheers,

Keith.

pooface
18-03-13, 08:27
Pc will likely be ntfs unless it's windows me or 98...

You'll likely format the nas to whatever format it chooses (likely to be ext3 or 4) and it'll share out via samba or nfs to the box...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

IAmATeaf
18-03-13, 11:30
If you're using the same drive to record to on the PC then it could be that the app you're using is filesystem aware, so knows that the drive is FAT32 and therefore continues recording in 4gb chunks, possibly?

18-03-13, 13:29
Thanks Guys. It must have been the USB.

Anyway the NAS arrived today so I'm onto my next problem.
I know the first thing to do is mount the NAS but I can't even manage that.
Here's some screen shots....
I've set up the NAS exactly as the folder on my PC previously yet as you can see from the first picture there is a red cross instead of a green tick :(
Help please.

Cheers,

Keith.

18-03-13, 14:17
Sorted it (for now). Found it through network browser, easier than manually mounting :thumbsup:

18-03-13, 14:33
All sorted (for now). Mounted the NAS using network browser, so much easier than mounting manually:thumbsup:

portbhoy
18-03-13, 19:44
It wasn't actually that long it only showed as that long, it started with the usual presentation blah about 2 hours of it but cut off at the parade lap so it actually recorded around 2 hours but showed as 293 minutes.