PDA

View Full Version : usb timeshift

hammyboy
16-03-13, 10:24
hi
i have formatted a 16gb usb 2.0 to use for timeshift & epg.
i have mounted the device and can see it as mount: /media/usb
type: ext4 R/W
i can install and use the epg.dat file on it
my problem is i cannot change the location of timeshift - /hdd/timeshift
i have only got the option to remove that bookmark not add a new one
the image is vix 632
ham

CoolerMaster
16-03-13, 10:30
It is possible, not done this myself for a very long time, I think you press the menu key whilst in the directory. Do you have an internal hdd? If so I wouldn't bother with a usb stick.

hammyboy
16-03-13, 10:39
It is possible, not done this myself for a very long time, I think you press the menu key whilst in the directory. Do you have an internal hdd? If so I wouldn't bother with a usb stick.
yes i have 1tb hdd but using it for permanent timeshift means i can hear it spin sometimes which is only a slight niggle as it isnt really loud but i wanted to try usb for pts
when i am in menu>aystem>timeshift settings, pressing menu exits that menu
pressing ok brings up select location and has the bookmark /hdd/timeshift/ at the bottom with only th option to remove this bookmark via the blue button

CoolerMaster
16-03-13, 11:00
Ok just got out of bed to check on my receiver lol. In timeshift settings press ok on hdd/timeshift, then another hdd/timeshift pops up below bookmarks, press menu here & then ok on switch to filelist, ok on parent directory, up to list of storage devices, goin there & select your usb. In terms of noise from your hdd I also have a solo 2 & hear very minimal noise from the hdd, do you have the included dampeners installed on your hdd? What model hdd? Just a heads up on using usb for pts, on previous Vix images going back at least a year, I used to use pts on usb also but it resulted in many crashes.

hammyboy
16-03-13, 11:52
thanks cm i think it would have taken me ages to find that way to add the location of pts as the menu option isnt displayed. i have changed it now and im going to try to see how pts goes on usb but i will take your advice and switch back to hdd if i get any problems.
my hdd is spinpoint momentus 2.5" 1tb and as far as i can remember i fitted the little black grommets between the disk and the caddy if thats what you mean by the dampers.
but as i said there isnt really any noise just you can occasionally hear it gring slightly when permanently on but ill see how usb goes.
ham

CoolerMaster
16-03-13, 12:13
Glad you got it sorted & yes I did mean the black grommets :D

bokkie
16-03-13, 20:07
Have you initialised the usb stick. Afaik the usb has to be in ext 3 or ext 4 to be used for timeshift.

hammyboy
17-03-13, 08:14
Have you initialised the usb stick. Afaik the usb has to be in ext 3 or ext 4 to be used for timeshift.
yes i initialised the stick to ext4 and the permanent timeshift function seems to be working fine on it now thanks