PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Regular crashes

Orup70
13-03-13, 12:53
Hi,

I have been using my VU+ Duo for several years without major problems and updated to VIX 3.0.204 in october last year. After a very positive impression of the 3.0 version for several months the box started to crash about a month ago and crashing more frequently up to the point of happening several times every night in the last week.

To fix the box, I then did a clean re-flash two days ago with version VIX 3.0.627, without using the backup wizard and manually reentering all settings to approximately the same as before (nothing fancy, just installing CCcam 2.3.0 and AutoResolution plus some normal tweaking and a fresh channel search). But yesterday, the box crashed at least four times in an hour. After that I enabled the crash log manager and uploaded the four crash logs under my nick name 'Orup70' (Ref 1363125660.89). I also attach the log files here, taken from my e-mail reply. In the log manager I enabled debug logs and will upload new logs after I get further crashes.

Any ideas of the cause? It may of course be a hardware problem as well. Please look at my log file(s) to see if anything stands out.

Thanks for any input.

/ Påhl

Crash logs:

Info about my setup:
=============
Vu+ Duo
ViX 3.0.627 (and previously 3.0.204)

ViX default skin

Plugins installed:
CCcam 2.3.0 (installed manually) and for VIX 3.0.204 -- CCcam 2.2.1
AutoResolution (installed via the feeds)

Brief description of the problem:
Multiple BSoD crashes every night. No specific replicable steps to reproduce the crashes, but commonly it crashes when switching channel or when recording. Can happen several times in an hour. Sometimes the crash results in a mangled screen with alternating green or pink lines in columns (sort of), sometimes the box just freezes or goes black. Sometimes the box reports about the crash and informs about sending the crash log to vixlogs@...com.

The problem started after using VIX 3.0.204 in a stable manner for several months. But after that, the crashes started and became more common up to the point of happening every night after about a month. I then did a clean re-flash with version VIX 3.0.627 two days ago without using the backup wizard and manually reentering all settings to approximately the same as before (nothing fancy, just installing CCcam 2.3.0 and AutoResolution plus some normal tweaking and a fresh channel search). But yesterday, the box crashed at least four times in an hour. After that I enabled the crash log manager and uploaded the four crash logs under my nick name 'Orup70'. I also attach the log files from my e-mail reply. In the log manager I enabled debug logs and will upload new logs after I get further crashes.
=============

Orup70
16-03-13, 13:13
Update:
After a few days with more crashes and freezes, the box suddenly stopped booting. When the power is turned on, the red led on the front is lit but nothing more happens. It won't even boot from the USB for a reflash. So, I guess the problem was hardware related and the Duo has now passed away.

Anyway, I will order a brand new vu+ Solo 2 next week. Hope it will work great as a replacement.

/ Påhl

Larry-G
16-03-13, 13:22
as it's a older unit it may be that it has suffered the infamous capacitor failure.

you can try a fix your self and maybe you can resurrect the box

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide&highlight=capacitor

Orup70
17-03-13, 13:36
Thanks for the advice! Sounds very plausible.

Maybe I'll try for fix it myself but at the same time, a new Solo 2 is very tempting. Especially the speed of channel switching etc. I'm quite tired of the slow response of the Duo – feels like I'm always watching a spinning VIX logotype…

Hm… always these decisions… :)

Larry-G
17-03-13, 13:43
yeah decisions decisions. as you say you could go for the new solo2 and maybe just maybe even fix the duo as a backup receiver.