PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Startup problem

rob76
12-03-13, 08:13
Hi,

I've come across a worrying issue.
I was still on VIX 2.0 (was doing the job for me) but on Sunday the box wouldn't boot anymore. The splash screen would come up and just stay there saying VIX is starting. At that point I thought oh well time to put VIX 3 on so I did that yesterday. Everything went well, vanilla installation, setup channel list, softcams, swap file on USB etc... but the hard disk is giving me trouble. It seems like it's mounted (although I found it there ready somehow) but the file system is not identified. I also couldn't set timeshift properties cos a hardisk file system type error was comming up so I tried to convert it to EXT4 (??) but nothing was happening.

At that point I pressed the record button just for kicks and enigma crashed saying a log file is saved in /hdd but /hdd is not excessible via ftp. Also the box won't boot up anymore it just gets stuck on the splash screen.

Any ideas of what can this be? Indications are that the hdd is gone but it seems strrange for an hdd to go all of a sudden. Normally they start going off gradually. It almost seems like the hdd controller??

Sorry for the long winded post but thought better to explain properly.

cheers

Rob

TK4|2|1
12-03-13, 08:41
Un plug the HDD see if it boots.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

rob76
12-03-13, 09:30
Just tried that but no joy. Upon startup it gets stuck on the splash screen with an intermittent spinning VIX.

TK4|2|1
12-03-13, 09:51
Re flash with a different hdd, see if you get the same results.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

rob76
12-03-13, 10:08
hmmm I don't have a spare hdd lying about and would have liked to confirm it was the culprit before going out and buying another one. The hdd could be a red herring anyway seeing that it's not booting without it either.

TK4|2|1
12-03-13, 10:13
Re flash without the HDD, get it all set up and working reliable, then add the HDD.
When you went from 2.0 to 3.0, it was a complete fresh install wasn't it? No backups installed?

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

rob76
12-03-13, 10:26
yeah I'll give that a go. Yeah it was a completely fresh install. To be honest I expected to have to mount the hdd but I found it already mounted.

rob76
12-03-13, 13:34
OK I've reflashed and hdd is still not connected. I've encountered the following potential issues so far: -
1) I'm on build 204 and when I try online update it downloads packages then says I'm already up to date
2) I'm trying to setup swap file so I converted file format on USB stick from fat23 to ext4 and then initialised but I got the attached errors (screenshots).
3) I also pressed the record button on the remote and that crashed enigma (log file atttached). Dunno if this is a red herring cos I'm trying to record without a hdd installed.

Thanks

rob76
12-03-13, 13:37
sorry Tim was upside down there...

roy0110
12-03-13, 13:40
why dont you use the latest build?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=

Larry-G
12-03-13, 16:25
Well for starters if your coming from ViX 2.0 have you updated the bootloader ?.

Second dont try updating the image all the way from build 204 upwards as it will not work. Try flashing directly to the latest stable image and setup from scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

rob76
12-03-13, 17:36
Thanks Phoenix of course I hadn't updated the bootloader. I have now (it only took 2 seconds to flash?!) and one thing I noticed is that the readme file said "Increase the update usb file size to 128M Byte" however when setting up the swap file the max size is still 96. Does this mean the bootloader flashing didn't working?

I'll go ahead and continue setting up the other stuff and see how that goes.

Larry-G
12-03-13, 17:43
Thanks Phoenix of course I hadn't updated the bootloader. I have now (it only took 2 seconds to flash?!) and one thing I noticed is that the readme file said "Increase the update usb file size to 128M Byte" however when setting up the swap file the max size is still 96. Does this mean the bootloader flashing didn't working?

I'll go ahead and continue setting up the other stuff and see how that goes.

its nothing to do with swap files, the bootloader increases the amonut of flash the box can use for the image, Allowing you to flash larger images Amongst other things.

The bootloader is also required for use with kernel 3.1.1 based images such as ViX 3.0 where as ViX 2.2 was based on a earlier kernel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

rob76
12-03-13, 21:17
Thanks for the explanation Phoenix. Everything seems to be running stable now.

Couple of issues I'm still having:
1) Picons are not showing. I'm using the official VIX settings. Do I need to enable some settings for Picons?
2) I'm trying to download plugins and Im getting a message saying plugins are currently in an unstable state and so I can't download any. Is this something tmeporary?
3) In VIX 2.0 there was an option whereby in the channel list when you press OK, the channel changes in the PIP but you're still kept in the channel list rather then view the selected channel in full screen. (am I making sense??) This is usefule for channel hopping. Do you know where this option is? I remember it was turned off by default.

thanks

Larry-G
12-03-13, 21:27
Thanks for the explanation Phoenix. Everything seems to be running stable now.

Couple of issues I'm still having:
1) Picons are not showing. I'm using the official VIX settings. Do I need to enable some settings for Picons?
2) I'm trying to download plugins and Im getting a message saying plugins are currently in an unstable state and so I can't download any. Is this something tmeporary?
3) In VIX 2.0 there was an option whereby in the channel list when you press OK, the channel changes in the PIP but you're still kept in the channel list rather then view the selected channel in full screen. (am I making sense??) This is usefule for channel hopping. Do you know where this option is? I remember it was turned off by default.

thanks

1. remember the picon folder should be on the root on the device for for a USB stick place a folder called picon directly on the stick and put all the loose picons directly into this folder. the image should detect them fine.

2. we now have a two tier system in place for updates which also affects the feeds. image updates ate either set as stable or unstable.
when a image is pushed to the server we automatically set it to unstable as a precaution, this also sets the feeds to unstable although they are fine, you can get around this most times by activating the allow unstable updates option in menu> setup> system> online update ( or software update cant remember the exact name rite now ). this will allow you to download from the feeds while set to unstable.

3. not sure on that one as it's a feature i don't use my self, although im certain some one else will be able to point you in the rite direction.

rob76
13-03-13, 12:26
So...
#1 - sorted
#2 - sorted
#3 - Still haven't found this option but I'll trawl through my old posts maybe I find a reference there. I remember discussing this with Andy a while back. If not I'll start a new thread.

Furthermore I've come across an airplay plugin which I didn't even know existed. Saved me from buying an Apple tv :) Happy as a pig in shit.

Oh and the AutoBouquets functionality is class!!

Well done guys!! :thumbsup:

judge
13-03-13, 13:15
#3 - bring up the screen you are talking about, hit menu & change channel preview mode.