PDA

View Full Version : Folder listing when using telnet

has786
06-03-13, 01:41
Hi Guys

I believe i'm experiencing some odd problem with the folders listing on my receiver when using Telnet. I'm fairy sure I did not have this problem when I first setup the receiver.

When I log on to the receiver and type the command "ls" it only displays the logs folder. Is this meant to be correct?

I can access the other folders by typing "cd" and space and slash "/" prior to folder name. However the only way I know a folder name is by looking at the receiver via FTP.

Can you guys comment on what you have on your setups?

ronand
06-03-13, 03:36
If you type CD / then you will be in the root folder. Then type ls and you will see all the folders.

has786
06-03-13, 13:53
That's great ronand but it defaults back to /home/root when I log back in. Is there anyway for it to be set as default to the root folder?

It would be worth knowing what other users are getting as default.

ronand
06-03-13, 15:18
Its the default on my uno. I don't know if it can be changed. It can't be that hard to type cd / is it?

has786
06-03-13, 20:00
Ronand it is not hard to type "CD /" however why is default not already root?

It would be nice to obtain confirmation from the vix team that on their images the default is /home/root instead of /root. It just seemed odd to me because all the receivers i had the default has been /root. Also I want to make sure that my box is not faulty.

judge
06-03-13, 20:07
Yes, as you are logging in as user root, you end up in roots home folder.

has786
06-03-13, 22:30
Judge is there anyway I can change this so that it can go to /root everytime I login?

judge
06-03-13, 22:50
Yes, not sure why you would want to though?
Users should log into their home folders.
Anyway, you can edit /etc/passwd

Remove home/root from the root account, so it now looks like

root:x:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh

has786
07-03-13, 02:08
Judge it is just a question of preference because thats what i'm used too. I have nothing against how is been setup by vix. I'll have a go a trying your code and edit the relevant file.
Now what wonders me is why other developers do not set the root folder the way vix does it.