PDA

View Full Version : remote streaming

hammyboy
05-03-13, 00:22
hi
im looking for some guidance on what results can be expected when streaming from the solo2 outside the home network to laptop.

i am running the latest vix 600 build and have installed the latest drivers.
i have vm superhub with 60 meg d/l and 2.8 meg or so upload. the solo2 is wired to the superhub.
when i am home and in the same room as the solo2 and superhub, i can open the webif in my browser and wirelessly stream both sd and hd channels on my windows 7 core 15 laptop with 4gb ram. the results are good when i am home and even the hd channels are good if not perfectly seamless.

when i go to my friends house i am struggling to get watchable results.

my friend has sky hub with around 13meg d/l and .93 meg u/l.
wirelessly i cant get hd to work and sd is very glitchy.
when i connect with patch lead from laptop to sky hub i get better result on sd but still breaks up a lot but still no hd. i do seem to get a better result when selecting the 8002 stream option from the webif (i have transcoding enabled on the solo2)

i was hoping there was a way to get a reliable unbroken stream at my friends house and hd isnt really important though would be a bonus if possible.
is there a different way to get vlc to stream directly from the solo2 without using the webif?
also i think i read somewhere that i would need to have at least 5 meg upload at home but this may have been for hd channels?
any guidance appreciated guys, thanks
ham

bokkie
05-03-13, 07:43
Have you enabled transcoding? Mine works fine. Quality could be better but it's watchable.

hammyboy
05-03-13, 08:53
Have you enabled transcoding? Mine works fine. Quality could be better but it's watchable.
yes bokkie thanks for the reply, i have transcoding enabled (port 8002). i do get a picture and the quality is good but it breaks up badly frequently enough to make it unusable.
i was interested to know if there were any tweaks i could do to improve this break up of picture or is it simply down to the nature of it and possibly my upload speed needing to be higher.
as i said i am connected at friends house with ethernet cable as opposed to wireless and i still get the picture loss.

i was experimenting with setting up a stream using vlc on the laptop but i couldnt get that set up at all and i am unsure if there is a way this would work to compare.
thanks
ham

bokkie
05-03-13, 09:35
Have you updated to the latest drivers? There was a driver release on the 7/02 which improved the transcoding a lot.
Everytime I reflash with the latest build I have the same problem with freezing/glitching.
Until I update drivers which sorts it.

hammyboy
05-03-13, 20:30
Have you updated to the latest drivers? There was a driver release on the 7/02 which improved the transcoding a lot.
Everytime I reflash with the latest build I have the same problem with freezing/glitching.
Until I update drivers which sorts it.
i installed drivers from 15/02 but i will check again and see if there is any difference or i may wait for next build and do a fresh install build 600 was a month ago and the next build will have latest drivers installed.
thanks
ham