PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: images/firmware question

cooa99
02-03-13, 17:06
Hi Guys, I bought a solo2 and just started experimenting with it.
It came with official image so I have gone through the wizard to set it up. so far so good....

Now I am interested in installing the vix image, the tutorials seem easy enough so dont think i will have a problem there, but my questions are:

1) Do I need to update the firmware of the solo2 to latest from the manufacturer .... or does the vix image wipe this anyway?.
Basically I am trying to understand if the manufacturer firmware upgrades are also needed regardless of vix image installation.
if manufacturer firmware is needed, please which is the latest version? and where to get it from as their website is not so clear
2) Which vix image :- do I go with the openvix-3.0.540 or the beta openvix builds? . I can guess that the betas are more up to date, but are they stable?

3) What updates the machine's bootloader

cheers

cooa99

Stanman
02-03-13, 17:21
1. Yes - just install a new OS
2. Go with the very latest, beta's are stable enough and most bugs have been removed

3. You flash the bootloader separately but not needed for Solo2

judge
02-03-13, 17:24
Flashing the image will replace the current image on the box.
Build 600 is currently the latest build available, download it from: http://openvix.co.uk

cooa99
02-03-13, 17:35
1. Yes - just install a new OS

Ok, So the vix image is some type of overlay on top of the vu+ Linux OS ... which still need its periodic updates....

I went to http://code.vuplus.com and I am a bit confused because there are multiple sections/files for solo2

under image 2.1 there is file vuplus-image-vusolo2-20130228041135_usb.zip
under image 1.6 there is file vuplus-image-vusolo2-20130228180635_usb.zip

which should I be using

cheers

Stanman
02-03-13, 17:36
No the VIX image is a replacement of the OEM image bit like going from XP to WIN7 but not via the upgrade route.

judge
02-03-13, 17:37
Neither if you want to flash VIX.

cooa99
02-03-13, 17:50
No the VIX image is a replacement of the OEM image bit like going from XP to WIN7 but not via the upgrade route.

Wow, I am beginning to grasp the work of the Vix team and it certainly cant be easy by a long shot!.

So since the solo2 is a "computer" there are no firmware updates for its hardware ? e.g via a the bios

thanks

cooa99
02-03-13, 18:08
err,

ok I have just tried to flash with the latest vix image.

I followed the instructions ....
after pressing the soft touch power button is displayed a few things
and then it is showing UBIFS Update
Its been like that now for the last 10 min

what do I do now? Do I switch off from the back and try a new stick?

cheers

judge
02-03-13, 18:31
It should flash in a minute or 2, then restart itself.
Yes, I'd try a different stick or download the image again.

cooa99
02-03-13, 20:16
cheers .

3 usb sticks later i had success

cheers

cooa99
03-03-13, 14:40
Sorry just another set of question !.
1) With the Vix Image Installed and channels scanned, I cant see channel numbers so I have to guess. Is is possible to see channel numbers as well?
2) Is it possible to watch connect to play films from my Synology NAS via
(a) DNLA features of my NAS
(b) A samba/ftp share from my NAS

3) Are softcam installations a manual process or can I just do it via the menu?
If manual what version of DCC do I use or can I just use winscp?
4) Is there a list and descriptions of plugins that can be installed?

cheers

Stanman
03-03-13, 17:22
1. In the channel list or on the VFD? if channel list press menu and if setting is there
2. Yes - network browser and mount your NAS share than movielist and yellow button to navigate to the share and play file
3. Manual installation but will need filezilla to send your CFG file across - tutorial is on the site.
4. all known and working plugins are in the menu - any others install at your own risk as cannot guarantee will work with VIX

cooa99
03-03-13, 23:02
cheers for the reply

1. In the channel list or on the VFD? if channel list press menu and if setting is there

What I am getting at is that the VFD shows the channel name (e.g. BBC 1 England) and so does pressing the OK button on the remote, But nothing actually tells me the channel number though I can guess that 101 is BBC1 ......

I tend to use channel numbers as a way of navigation, but nothing displays it. Any clues on how to get it showing either as part of the VFD or On screen display?

thanks

judge
03-03-13, 23:13
Press Up/Down circular button.
Does the channel number show there?

cooa99
04-03-13, 01:08
perfect

cheers

cooa99
05-03-13, 19:09
Almost there ...

dreamplex/icefilms/airplayer plugins ....

which directory should I ftp plugins to so that I can Install them ?

after ftping .... would they just then show up in the plugin browser so I can install them ?

cheers

cooa99

hammyboy
05-03-13, 20:17
Almost there ...

dreamplex/icefilms/airplayer plugins ....

which directory should I ftp plugins to so that I can Install them ?

after ftping .... would they just then show up in the plugin browser so I can install them ?

cheers

cooa99
for plugins i think you need to put the ipk file in /tmp folder then
menu>setup>vix>install local extension and the relevant plugin should be there.
install and restart enigma and plugin should be in plugins list.

cooa99
06-03-13, 15:15
cheers

Every where on the forum there is a mention of the so called "vix feed", Where do I find it or how do I get there?. Is this by any chance the additional screen I see in the plugin download menu that shows lots of plugins that can be installed?

Also I have read that TP Panel has been removed from the feeds due to issues it can cause. Without me installing and facing such problems :-
(a) what other things is the TS panel used for ... apart from softcam install?
(b) Since removed from Vix image, what are its replacement/alternatives

cheers

cooa99

Stanman
06-03-13, 21:05
No alternatives that we support for TS panel in VIX.

Your right about the feeds that is the plugins downloads along with skins etc

Larry-G
12-03-13, 17:03
Every where on the forum there is a mention of the so called "vix feed", Where do I find it or how do I get there?. Is this by any chance the additional screen I see in the plugin download menu that shows lots of plugins that can be installed?

The image feeds where we host plugins and other image add ons, go to plugins press green to download and your now in the feeds.

Also I have read that TP Panel has been removed from the feeds due to issues it can cause. Without me installing and facing such problems :-
(a) what other things is the TS panel used for ... apart from softcam install?
(b) Since removed from Vix image, what are its replacement/alternatives

cheers

cooa99

A. TSpanel is crammed full of crap in my opinion and not worth the bother.

B. You can get almost every thing you need for the image from the feeds. Cams can be found on the image download server. TSpanel is not only a badly coded piece of software but a total waste of time too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2