PDA

View Full Version : Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

ford
28-02-13, 00:20
Hi guys.

At the Admins request, here is a small tutorial regarding possible fix for a dead Vu+duo.
The normal symptom of the problem being a non starting box, showing only the red standby LED on the top left of the display.

When removing the cover, you will see in the first pic, the cable connecting the power supply to the motherboard.

BE AWARE!!!

Be careful to avoid touching the power supply components, as the switch mode capacitor can give you quite a shock, even when disconnected from the mains suppy.

You have been warned:p23922

With the box switched on, measure the supply as illustrated on each pin out of the power supply, in respect to ground.
You can attach the ground cable of your multimeter the the metal chassis of the box.
Is much easier this way.
Do not disconnect any cables whilst doing this, or the power supply will shut down!!

The connector to the left in the pic is the 5 and 12 volt power to the HDD.

If you hear the drive spooling up on power up, and the box is dead, it's a reasonable indication that the power supply itself may be ok!

If all the voltages are ok, proceed to the next step.

I have made the next step easier for newbies, but some basic soldering skills are required.

If in doubt at this point, please seek professional advice.

PM me, and i'll do my very best to help you all.

Please see attached pic. 23923

I have used some fine wire cutters to cut the old capacitor out, so if you are quick enough, as you can see in the pic, you can very neatly tack the new capacitor to the motherboard without removing the board itself!
If you are not so slick with the soldering iron, you may cause the remaining pins from the capacitor, to the motherboard to become unstable and dry jointed.

If you feel confident enough, remove the motherboard, and do it correctly.

As I said, the reason I did it this way, was because you can do a good enough job without removing the board, providing you are quick, and careful!

Try to use a 220 to 330 mfd 25, or 35 volt capacitor, although 16 volt will suffice.

NOTE THE POLARITY OF THE CAPACITOR!!

The negative pin, is as you can see on the left!!!

The capacitor to replace is C807 as written on the motherboard.

I did the whole thing in under 15 minutes.

This capacitor serves as part of the motherboard DC-DC converter operation.

Larry-G
28-02-13, 00:35
Much appreciated, Made this a sticky post.

ford
28-02-13, 00:44
Cheers bud.

It's my first sticky, lol

Really appreciate that.

I modified it a bit tho to cover everything.:p

echosat
09-10-13, 20:09
Amazing cheers bro 45p for the cap from maplins and about an hour to strip and rebuild now works a treat again, saved me buying a new receiver
Thanks
Echo

maschi
20-10-13, 11:53
Two weeks ago I ended up with a dead box, just showing the "red light" and found this description here. Everything seemed like I have exactly this problem, so I decided to give it a shot. So I ordered a 220 mfd capacitor, decided to go for the 25v version as recommended above and connected it today - without removing the motherboard. Bang!! It works again. Thank you so much for this description here!

Let me add a small observation for analysis purposes: my box did not die suddenly, from one moment to the other. Instead when turning it off completely (via the switch on the back) it seemed to take some seconds longer until it finally "decided" to start. In the end, before it finally died completely, I was still able to start it by being patient enough to wait 5 minutes or so. Many greetings, and thanks again!

Rob van der Does
20-10-13, 12:00
Let me add a small observation for analysis purposes: my box did not die suddenly, from one moment to the other. Instead when turning it off completely (via the switch on the back) it seemed to take some seconds longer until it finally "decided" to start. In the end, before it finally died completely, I was still able to start it by being patient enough to wait 5 minutes or so.
That's the way it goes usually.
But observing these symptoms it's best not to use the box anymore, to prevent extended damage (to an IC).

cactikid
20-10-13, 13:25
very helpfull as i can see that been used time and time again,but curious if anybody used surge protection that might have saved box and caps from damage?

Larry-G
20-10-13, 13:28
The damage to the caps is not from surge damage but prolonged exposure to heat which has dried them out.

Jimdefruit
21-10-13, 10:43
I have tried this procedure but still not working.

I tested the voltages and all were ok. I replaced the C807 capacitor together with the two adjacent 220uF capacitors but still no good and stuck on red LED.

My duo is a genuine box. Are there any more suggestions?

Before packing up completely, my tuners were playing up and the box was freezing and rebooting frequently.

pacha2
25-10-13, 17:50
On my box the fan stopped which cause it to overheat. So you can check that is running ok.

Alternatively it could be the power supply.

LookingUp
27-10-13, 06:35
A million thanks for posting this fix! My Vu+Duo started misbehaving last week, and then went on the blink again last night. Initially the HDMI out would just go blank, requiring power off/on to restart. It would then run through a boot and maybe for a couple of minutes before dying again. Then it wouldn't even boot - just the red LED as per the issue description.

On taking the lid off I found it was seriously hot so suspected the fan. After finding your post this morning, checking the voltages (all good), and replacing the capacitor the unit is back up and running. BRILLIANT!

I'm still not sure why it was so hot (too hot to touch the HDD!), but can only guess that the fan stopped some time before the capacitor failed enough to kill the video. The fan IS running again now, so it wasn't one failure causing another.

Thanks again,
Rod :)

fysaldar786
17-12-13, 02:08
I am not sure if that right place to ask this question ,my vu+ duo does not lock on satellite SNR AND AGC goes up and down like mad and some time box able to tune to some channels but only few of channels ,and then picture come's broken like it's freezing some one told me it's power supply and have to change it but all voltage are up to stander i measured them with amp meter and matched them with duo voltage chart all good ,any knows what to do ?

judge
17-12-13, 02:10
I am not sure if that right place to ask this question ,my vu+ duo does not lock on satellite SNR AND AGC goes up and down like mad and some time box able to tune to some channels but only few of channels ,and then picture come's broken like it's freezing some one told me it's power supply and have to change it but all voltage are up to stander i measured them with amp meter and matched them with duo voltage chart all good ,any knows what to do ?
How old is the box & where did you buy it?

fysaldar786
17-12-13, 03:09
Brought from china while ago ,but never used it its v2 box but now i need it to work.

Larry-G
17-12-13, 03:24
Brought from china while ago ,but never used it its v2 box but now i need it to work.

I dont mean to be rude but you can look else where for help with clones, we will not help you on this forum with a cloned receiver.

judge
17-12-13, 03:46
Please re-read the site rules.

Dispatches
01-01-14, 23:54
I have no red light, nothing at all when I turn the switch on at the back. Any ideas?

garyblas
02-01-14, 00:36
check power fuse

Eltarabishi
05-01-14, 13:42
Hi, my vu+ duo won't start only showing redlight at the upper right corner . Took it to the service center they told my I have to replace the motherboard which is very expensive . So I decided to buy a new vu + solo 2 instead.
After reading this forum I want to give it a try and fix my vu duo , it has all the symptoms listed above so I think it might be a capacitor thing but I have no experience with soldering .
How do I get sure that capacitor c807 is the faulty one ? It doesn't look like leaking or damaged?

Larry-G
05-01-14, 13:45
It may not display any physical signs but it's still worth a try to replace it as the capacitor is only a few pence and 20 minutes to replace at most. after all the box in it's current state is fir for nothing but the bin so you may as well give it a go.

TK4|2|1
05-01-14, 15:22
Easy way to check if it's capacitors. Remove the top, get your hair dryer and heat it up. Then see if it comes on.

garyblas
05-01-14, 16:45
Easy way to check if it's capacitors. Remove the top, get your hair dryer and heat it up. Then see if it comes on.

Never heard of this to check an electrolytic cap....! I'm an electronic engineer and can tell you this will not check anything, apart from tell you if the solder joint is suspect which i doubt.

Only way to check cap is with a capacitance meter which places a small load into cap to check its function

TK4|2|1
05-01-14, 16:59
Never heard of this to check an electrolytic cap....! I'm an electronic engineer and can tell you this will not check anything, apart from tell you if the solder joint is suspect which i doubt.

Only way to check cap is with a capacitance meter which places a small load into cap to check its function

20 years repairing TV's I tell ya it will

Sent by pressing buttons.

garyblas
05-01-14, 17:10
20 years repairing TV's I tell ya it will

Sorry mate but as i said before this will only detect faulty joints... Take it from me

TK4|2|1
05-01-14, 17:10
Sorry mate but as i said before this will only detect faulty joints... Take it from me

Whatever.

addicted
12-01-14, 12:13

You are right, mate !!
Here is my story on the DUO:
- redlight issue, did not boot anymore
- replaced C807 ( the famous one ) + the regulator U801
- boots again, but have severe problems on HD-channels, not locking
- after a while HD working, except the critical ones ( 8PSK here in Netherlands )
- I discovered that if the box is heated, everything works....
- removing cover, heated extra with hair-dryer and the SNR goes from 68 to 72%
- used freeze spray to identify another faulty capacitor : C848 !!
- will let you know the result after swapping this capcitor

TK4|2|1
12-01-14, 15:05
You are right, mate !!
Here is my story on the DUO:
- redlight issue, did not boot anymore
- replaced C807 ( the famous one ) + the regulator U801
- boots again, but have severe problems on HD-channels, not locking
- after a while HD working, except the critical ones ( 8PSK here in Netherlands )
- I discovered that if the box is heated, everything works....
- removing cover, heated extra with hair-dryer and the SNR goes from 68 to 72%
- used freeze spray to identify another faulty capacitor : C848 !!
- will let you know the result after swapping this capcitor

I'm always right.
That is exactly the method we use to identify faulty capacitors in TV's, heat the buggers up, then freeze them.

addicted
13-01-14, 20:52
great results after replacing C848: SNR now increased to all time high values ( for me ) and HD-channels very stable !!

dotts
13-01-14, 22:00
Should I replace the cap????

Over the last few months im having freezing problems with my vuduo (not clone) i have it about 3 years, never gave any trouble until a few months back when i updated the image after about 6months, this might be just a coincidence but ever since its been freezing i.e spinning vix, when changing channels, moving through the menu etc and recently rebooting itself every hour or so its almost unusable at the moment. I have reflashed the box several times and set it up again from scratch but get the spinning vix within minutes. I tried enabling a swap file, have only essential plugins installed and have cacheflush installed, but still it freezes every minute, it also reboots every now and then, and interrupts recordings, the wife is on my case bigtime about it now, need to sort something out soon. I also flashed a blackhole image and old kernel version of vix but neither helped the issue. any advice wold be great?

Alec
13-01-14, 22:45
Should I replace the cap????

Over the last few months im having freezing problems with my vuduo (not clone) i have it about 3 years, never gave any trouble until a few months back when i updated the image after about 6months, this might be just a coincidence but ever since its been freezing i.e spinning vix, when changing channels, moving through the menu etc and recently rebooting itself every hour or so its almost unusable at the moment. I have reflashed the box several times and set it up again from scratch but get the spinning vix within minutes. I tried enabling a swap file, have only essential plugins installed and have cacheflush installed, but still it freezes every minute, it also reboots every now and then, and interrupts recordings, the wife is on my case bigtime about it now, need to sort something out soon. I also flashed a blackhole image and old kernel version of vix but neither helped the issue. any advice wold be great?

In future it is wise to make a backup of a stable image, so if there is problems. You can go back to it, to discount that. I think if you have the know how it would be wise to change this capacitor, especially if you record a lot, or the room is very warm.

dotts
15-01-14, 00:55
I might have sorted the issue out, i had a dualband router directly over the box not sitting on it but pretty close, (which as I think about it I might have put there around the same time I flashed the image after a few months of not updating) I moved it this evening, only 1/2 meter to the side and hey presto the gui is working 10 times better, not getting any freezes, where as before it would freeze while just watching a program, I can now traverse the menu and play recordings without an issue , I might be a bit premature in saying it has sorted the problem but fingers Xed :) is it possible the wifi was/is effecting it?

Larry-G
15-01-14, 05:32
is it possible the wifi was/is effecting it?

Doubtful, Routers kick out a lot of heat, it is more likely that your receiver was overheating because the router was too close, also as the receiver has built in safety measures it will shut down when it gets too hot.

dotts
15-01-14, 22:09
Doubtful, Routers kick out a lot of heat, it is more likely that your receiver was overheating because the router was too close, also as the receiver has built in safety measures it will shut down when it gets too hot.

I'd say your right, even though I was conscious of this when I put It there, and checked the top of the box regularly and it didn't seem that hot, but wasn't cool either, which it is now. Anyway it seem to be working perfectly now. Hopefully I haven't caused any long term damage.

franta
20-01-14, 12:40
hello and many thanks for this topic.
my receiver went dead after some days of restarting suddenly, strange was that just before it has restarted i could not get any reaction from receiver. after stopping the receiver it did not start anymore. I had changed the capacitor and now everything seams OK.
Thank you again for the tutorial

guffe2005
25-01-14, 23:08
Ty it worked for me TY TY :violin::violin:;)

funstuffkg
07-03-14, 00:05
Thank you very much! I replaced the capacitor with a 330mfd 35v and my VU+ duo is working again.
This saves me a lot of money!

thx again!

cactikid
09-03-14, 23:46
just to add to this i found this elsewhere and if alright with mods will add ebay link later.

having had this myself and got box repaired by a tv expert i now see this available from ebay.

I have for sale a repair kit for the original Vu+Duo & maybe the Vu+Duo 2 (but please check if motherboards are the same). The kits consists of a Capacitor and a Regulator,

If you have a redlight on the duo it is normally caused by the Capacitor (C807) drying up but it can also blow the regulator (U801).
I had these both go on mine. Sometimes you can get away with just changing the capacitor the 1st time you get the redlight but if you continue
switching the machine off you can then blow the regulator like i did.

The original capacitor value is 220uf and i changed it to 330uf and a higher voltage.
The regulators you cant buy in this country and you have to bulk buy.
This regulator is the original and works very well as i had this go on my receiver.

There are 3 regulators and 3 capacitors the same and i changed all mine but is not necessary do to this
and only change the ones i have stated.

The kits for sale consist of 1 x 330uf Capacitor and 1 x Regulator, But if you feel like changing all
regulators (U801,U802,U805) and Capacitors (C807,C814,C815) then i can sell you them to you.

Please check my other listing on Vu+Duo if you want to buy the IC only

Multiple buys i will discount if you decide to change all 3 ie 3 x capacicitor, 3 x regulators for £25 saving you £11

Please Note:-
Please have this repair carried out by a qualified repair man as I will not be held responsible for damage to you Vu+Duo , unless you are capable of doing yourself.Name: duo regulator.JPG Views: 9 Size: 716 BytesName: duo cap.JPG Views: 9 Size: 764 Bytes

not my add just a listing

cactikid
11-03-14, 23:03
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vu-Duo-Red-Light-/271411349084?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Recei vers&hash=item3f3160865c
this is the listing for the post above for red light fix on the duo.

dfdream
26-03-14, 18:50
All.
My brother has my old DUO and txtd me that the red light does be on some mornings when they switch on the box and can take an hour to come on.
Other times it comes on first thing.
Is this the first signs of this issue. It sounds like it anyway...
Should I replace the parts recommended here ?

Larry-G
26-03-14, 19:14
All.
My brother has my old DUO and txtd me that the red light does be on some mornings when they switch on the box and can take an hour to come on.
Other times it comes on first thing.
Is this the first signs of this issue. It sounds like it anyway...
Should I replace the parts recommended here ?

yes thats a definite sign things are not rite, i would tell him to leave the unit powered off to prevent further damage occurring.

dfdream
01-04-14, 13:10
I replaced the capacitor for him and it boots up first time all the time... Result..
One question.
Whats the advice to avoid this happening again.
Some say its caused by turning on and off with power switch.
If so what is the recommended process to turn off a DUO at night (not deep standby).

yes thats a definite sign things are not rite, i would tell him to leave the unit powered off to prevent further damage occurring.

Larry-G
01-04-14, 13:17
To my knowledge, its due to overheating, which dries out the caps.

Rob van der Does
01-04-14, 14:18
The issue seems to be frequency related. Adding a small ceramic capacitor (parallel to the normal one) seems to enhance life expectancy very much.

Alec
01-04-14, 18:14
I replaced the capacitor for him and it boots up first time all the time... Result..
One question.
Whats the advice to avoid this happening again.
Some say its caused by turning on and off with power switch.
If so what is the recommended process to turn off a DUO at night (not deep standby).

The original capacitor was rated at 85 centigrade, and I changed mine to 105c. Also make sure there is adequate ventilation, especially if you use the HD quite a lot.

darp
09-04-14, 08:59
Thanks from me to!! I put in a 330uf 50volt cap and all is well

Maxwell
09-04-14, 09:14
The issue seems to be frequency related. Adding a small ceramic capacitor (parallel to the normal one) seems to enhance life expectancy very much.

That suggests that the original design is wrong and it requires a slightly higher value capacitor than is fitted since capacitors in parallel values are added together, added to that electrolytic capacitors have a tolerance of up to +/- 80% especially the cheap ones.

To make a proper job if I replace an electrolytic in a repair I use Tantalum replacements as they are more accurate value wise and are not chemical so don't dry out

Rob van der Does
09-04-14, 10:42
Seems to have to do with ESR or so. Sounds familiar?

Maxwell
09-04-14, 10:50
The ceramic may reduce some electrical 'noise' depends on its value but one on its own does not have a significant effect and in any case most switch mode power supplies are inherently electrically quiet - incidentally that is another reason to use Tantalum capacitors as they are 'quieter' than electrolytics by nature

Jano59
09-04-14, 19:43
Tried to replace the cap without any luck, one of my m8s had same issue an got it repaired at the shop he bought the unit at.
They replaced the PSU for about 100€.

My question is: Does anyone in here know a good reseller that sells Vu+ Duo PSU's ?

paulcox22
11-04-14, 16:55
Hello everyone, has anyone had an issue where there is no power at all, not even the red light on the front display? and is it the same fix?

mcremin
19-04-14, 12:43
hi new to this thread recently purchased a minivu+duo twin tuner box. turned it on this morning and there is a red light on box and no signal on tv the box is recognising the remote as the green led flickers when i press a button on the remote please help

Larry-G
19-04-14, 12:55
hi new to this thread recently purchased a minivu+duo twin tuner box. turned it on this morning and there is a red light on box and no signal on tv the box is recognising the remote as the green led flickers when i press a button on the remote please help

sorry but you will have to look else where, we dont provide support for Clones on this forum.

Hoss696
11-05-14, 07:21
Hi I have a box that gone dead red light lights up when you touch it could you point out witch capacitor need replacing I carnt understand by the picture you could email me if it's no bother thanks hoss696. Kippy977@msn.com. Cheers

danped
20-05-14, 21:03
Will one of these do the trick as a replacement for c807

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/220f-35v-105c-radial-electrolytic-capacitor-n86kf

scottywhu
23-05-14, 08:12
Hi all,

Yep, got the same problem with RED LED.

Could someone please advise whether the capacitor 'danped' named above will work ?

Thanks

Scottywhu:eek:

Stanman
23-05-14, 12:33
Hi all,

Yep, got the same problem with RED LED.

Could someone please advise whether the capacitor 'danped' named above will work ?

Thanks

Scottywhu:eek:

Not sure but search the forum there is a thread on the red light and capacitor you need.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

timofee
23-05-14, 14:12
I can confirm that the 220µF 35V capacitor referred to above is ok as a replacement for c807.

scottywhu
25-05-14, 15:23
Just wanted to give thanks... Changed my capacitor yesterday and all working perfectly.... Saved me a fortune.. Cheers 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

nikdegreek
25-05-14, 20:14

Hi guys help please having brought a vu duo box of yourselves had a power surge which has resulted in red light of death!!! read that this could be a capacitor problem so took of the lid to look and there is no capacitor in area c807. The box is relatively new bought 11/11/13 and im thinking they have changed design of motherboard and maybe moved capacitor to another location if anyone out there could give me some advise what i should do Im really screwed without tv over bankholiday and half term!!!

abu baniaz
25-05-14, 20:30
The capacitors are in the same place. They have changed them to SMD type. (Surface Mounted Device).

Looks like C850 is burnt.

nikdegreek
25-05-14, 20:44
c850 ??? is this repairable have you any ideas can it still be replaced? or am i reallly screwed!

yepzdk
26-07-14, 12:55
Is it possible to use a 470uf 25v 105c capacitor for this fix?

timofee
26-07-14, 14:03
It would be easier to stick to a 220µF capacitor with the same or higher voltage rating than the original. They are cheap enough!

Someone above used a 330uf capacitor and that was reported as being ok - but I don't see the point of using a 470uf unless it is absolutely impossible for you to obtain a 220uf

Auldtam
25-08-14, 08:52
Great thread..this happened to my box last year and I put it in the loft thinking it was dead, been using an android box since. After reading this thread I got the box out, trip to maplins, followed the instructions and hey presto its working again...cant thank you guys enough.

Ive installed latest image and channel list...what plugins should I add?

johnspeedster
27-08-14, 08:13
Yes, great thread. I have been away from home for three months but left the Duo on recording programmes. The wife followed me away a month later. Came home yesterday.... Red light of death! Went to pull the Duo out of the shelf and noted glass table coasters over the top vent.... I've been using 2.3 on my 3 year old machine with just the odd crash as expected. My first thought before I started reading was that my internal 2Tb drive was full and that was the problem. Anyway, I guess I'll just do the cap. Cursing because I am in NZ having just returned from London and several visits to Maplin! Any Kiwis know where to get a new capacitor? Should I flash the latest Boot and version of Vix after this?

Larry-G
27-08-14, 16:21
Yes, great thread. I have been away from home for three months but left the Duo on recording programmes. The wife followed me away a month later. Came home yesterday.... Red light of death! Went to pull the Duo out of the shelf and noted glass table coasters over the top vent.... I've been using 2.3 on my 3 year old machine with just the odd crash as expected. My first thought before I started reading was that my internal 2Tb drive was full and that was the problem. Anyway, I guess I'll just do the cap. Cursing because I am in NZ having just returned from London and several visits to Maplin! Any Kiwis know where to get a new capacitor? Should I flash the latest Boot and version of Vix after this?

Yes as you are on such a old image it would be wise to first flash the latest (v3.0) boot loader before any image update.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

kafus
01-09-14, 22:45
Brilliant piece of detective work originally that I expect is going to save me a bucket of time tomorrow. Must go shopping for some caps.
Thanks.
:cool:

data100
03-09-14, 11:54
thanks mate worked for me thanks

mcquaim
08-09-14, 13:15
Any special equipment needed to replace the regulator or best to get an expert to replace this?

It looks pretty small for a soldering iron..

nsw9154
08-09-14, 14:13
I think the only thing you need is a 25watt soldering iron as a 15watt might be a little underpowered, some good quality solder a pair of small wire cutters and a steady hand
but if you are not feeling confident enough a TV repair shop should do it for you for about £20

mcquaim
08-09-14, 14:38
I think the only thing you need is a 25watt soldering iron as a 15watt might be a little underpowered, some good quality solder a pair of small wire cutters and a steady hand
but if you are not feeling confident enough a TV repair shop should do it for you for about £20

This is not for the capacitor, it's the regulator U801. I don't think wire cutters are required for that chip..

I have already replaced C807 and no joy so now for the regulator but it's a little on the small side I reckon for my soldering skills.. I've asked a local TV repair guy and he says it needs some equipment that blows hot air over the regulator to soften the solder to be able to remove the faulty one and he hasn't gotten one. He reckons a regular soldering iron would be too clumsy..

I will search the net for a more specialised electronics guy to repair it..

nsw9154
08-09-14, 14:43
Sorry about that I thought you wanted to change the C807 capacitor :o

abu baniaz
08-09-14, 15:21
A rework station would be best as per your man. Mobile phone repair shops/diy enthusast should have one. Doesn't have to be specialist.

You should be able to do it with a soldering iron and some wick.

mcquaim
08-09-14, 15:27
Cheers Abu, I will take a look when the part arrives to see how brave I am.. If not I will look around to see who does this sort of thing in this area!

Hunty
09-09-14, 15:48
Hi all,
My vu packed in as same in thread but I have a question.
Will the fan still power I when c807 has blown as I have replaced this and still nothing. Does this mean its the power supply?
Thanks
Hunty

zola25
22-09-14, 09:49
Thanks for the Sticky had the red light of death at the weekend changed the capacitor and it came back to life, nice fix for under one Euro and 10 minutes work.:)

mcquaim
22-09-14, 10:26
Hi all,
My vu packed in as same in thread but I have a question.
Will the fan still power I when c807 has blown as I have replaced this and still nothing. Does this mean its the power supply?
Thanks
Hunty

It didn't power on when my sisters Duo got the red light. Her issue wasn't the C807 capacitor though, it was the U801 regulator that was gone so perhaps that's why the fan did not spin up..

Rob van der Does
22-09-14, 10:36
When the box is being used while the C807 is dying, the next in line to be damaged is the regulator.
So best practise is: when the very first sign of C807 issues show, cut the power to the box and don't use it until the cap has been replaced.

Guy
01-10-14, 20:21
My box has been crashing a lot recently, several reflashes and still not working. Had lots of horizontal lines on the picture today and the remote control was unresponsive. Power cycled the box and it worked ok for 30mins then the picture would freeze but the sound carried on as normal, after 5 minutes it turned itself off and back on again. Removed the duo from my AV cabinet, Opened up the duo and plugged it into the wall only to get a red light with no display.

Decided to strip the box down and cut the capacitor off the board. it measures out at 56uf on my digital multimeter.

Also noticed this mark on top of U801 - looks like the casing of the chip has burnt?

mcquaim
01-10-14, 20:32
Also noticed this mark on top of U801 - looks like the casing of the chip has burnt?

Yes, looks fried alright...

Reckon you need C807 and U801 replaced and maybe more... My U801 was gone but it didn't look anything near as bad as that!!

ford
05-10-14, 20:21
Hey lads.
Sorry I have not posted for some time.
Busy setting up my 2 way radio repair centre.
I have SMD rework equipment.
Hot air, and IRDA.
Not fishing for work, but if you get stuck please feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your kind comments on my sticky.
Cheers.

This is not for the capacitor, it's the regulator U801. I don't think wire cutters are required for that chip..

I have already replaced C807 and no joy so now for the regulator but it's a little on the small side I reckon for my soldering skills.. I've asked a local TV repair guy and he says it needs some equipment that blows hot air over the regulator to soften the solder to be able to remove the faulty one and he hasn't gotten one. He reckons a regular soldering iron would be too clumsy..

I will search the net for a more specialised electronics guy to repair it..

ford
05-10-14, 20:32
Hiya mate.
Good to be back.
Yeah. Wet Electrolytics drying out.
Same old, same old:)

The damage to the caps is not from surge damage but prolonged exposure to heat which has dried them out.

yunus786
06-10-14, 13:00
Hi Mate,
You quote 'If you hear the drive spooling up on power up, and the box is dead, it's a reasonable indication that the power supply itself may be ok!'...

What if the drive does not spool and I still get the red light. Does that mean the PSU is dead as well, or can I get away with replacing just the Capacitor C807 and perhaps the regulator U801?

zola25
06-10-14, 14:33
My drive did not seem to spool up and i just replaced the C807 capacitor and it came back to life.
I would try just the capacitor first as it is dead easy.

Guy
08-10-14, 19:00
Yes, looks fried alright...

Reckon you need C807 and U801 replaced and maybe more... My U801 was gone but it didn't look anything near as bad as that!!

New U801 from ebay for 12 quid sorted it.
Had the 3 220uf caps replaced and they had to replace the smaller ones either side due to signs of failing. 105degree good quality japenese caps installed to replace the chinese ones.

sillyprice
11-10-14, 18:36
Hi guys
just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful post. It worked saving me a fortune.
Thank you again

redout
03-11-14, 21:37
Is it possible to remove the green board with c807? I have unscrewed everything but the card reader is basically stuck to it so can't pull the board free. I wanted to remove the board completely from the box to do a proper solder.

Guy
03-11-14, 22:49
yes it is, I removed the full board from mine.

You have to clip off the front facia and I also had to remove the HDD to allow me to manouver the board out.

Part of the card reader stayed on the board when I took it to the repair shop

redout
03-11-14, 23:15
yes it is, I removed the full board from mine.

You have to clip off the front facia and I also had to remove the HDD to allow me to manouver the board out.

Part of the card reader stayed on the board when I took it to the repair shop

Aye, front facia. That is what I was thinking. Have it off now. Will give the soldering a go tomorrow. Hopefully it works and saves me a few quid. Repair shop wanted €90 for this!

MatLCFC
22-11-14, 12:33
Looks like I am another member of the red dot club...

Not the best picture... but looks like U801 has gone?

Is there anyone on here I can send the board to who can repair & send back to me?
I would much prefer this to DIY or rip off repair shop.

pidici2
26-11-14, 12:58
Hello and excuse fom my english!
Could you tell me the right voltages of each connector of the power suplly, so I can test them?
Thank you.
Bye

jib4of5
29-12-14, 17:45
Hi Ford,
Just like to say a big Thanks!! for posting this fix.
Changed cap C807 and My Vu+ Duo box is back up and working.
:p

jib4of5
29-12-14, 17:49
Hi Ford,
Just like to say a big Thanks!! for posting this fix.
Changed cap C807 and My Vu+ Duo box is back up and working.
:p

khan888
11-01-15, 03:06
Thanks for this fix, duo went last night replaced cap and all working again :thumbsup:

majortom
11-01-15, 12:15
Hi Guys,

Looks light the red light of death has got me too this morning. I run my multimeter over the 220 Caps (three in a row) and they all give back the same readings (about 191 ohms on 200 meter setting) which I guess is outside of the 220uf rating, strange that all 3 give the same reading though?

I've also checked the power supply outputs, all give the indicated 3.3, 12v etc except when I run it on the 34v output its only reading 32.4v on the multimeter.

Do you think it could be the PSU at fault in this case? The only other big worry is when I do switch the box on with the internal HD attached I can hear it spin up.

Thanks for you help in advance.

MT

cactikid
11-01-15, 13:07
when mine went i was left with the red light and starting on display and yes one could hear the hdd spin up.

majortom
11-01-15, 13:13
Not getting any "starting" show on the front, just the red light and the HD spinning up. Praying its not the mobo!!

MT

chaser
11-01-15, 13:15
Hi Guys,

Looks light the red light of death has got me too this morning. I run my multimeter over the 220 Caps (three in a row) and they all give back the same readings (about 191 ohms on 200 meter setting) which I guess is outside of the 220uf rating, strange that all 3 give the same reading though?

You're confusing different measurements - resistance and capacitance. Measuring the resistance (ohms) of the capacitor won't tell you too much about the function of the capacitor. Usually if you try to measure the resistance of a capacitor, the value will change as the meter charges up the capacitor!

Rob van der Does
11-01-15, 14:06
The attached scheme may help the hobbyists under you.

majortom
11-01-15, 18:40
Quick update,
Popped down to Maplin and picked up a couple of capacitors, swapped the first one out and all is now good.

Thanks,

MT

Rob van der Does
11-01-15, 22:30
Don't forget to place a ceramic capacitor parallel as well.

25-01-15, 18:54
I get the red light on my Duo. Changed the two caps and still made no difference :(

pz8l8t
25-01-15, 19:09
Assuming it a geniue and not a clone it could be the regulator.

26-01-15, 16:59
It is a genuine and i tried changing the regulator (U801) but no joy.

Righthammer
30-01-15, 20:44
I got the red light on my Duo. Changed the C807 cap and its back to life ..happy days!!:p
My duo had been acting sluggishly for a while (spinning vix on changing channels and more glitching than usual for the past three months before it got the red light.Anyway thanks for the repair guide:thumbsup:

wristel
08-03-15, 10:45
Quick question...
I only have a 470uf capacitor available, will this one work or damage my VU+ duo?

steve1978
14-03-15, 09:29
Add me to the success list :) 10 mins all in.

Larry-G
14-03-15, 10:16
Add me to the success list :) 10 mins all in.

Nice one bud. I need to find the time to look at my brothers Duo as he had a attempt him self and it's still now working. He likely botched the solder job knowing him, bloke can weld any thing to any thing, but cant solder for shit.

DogsDinner
22-03-15, 21:09
What does polarity mean? :confused:

DogsDinner
22-03-15, 21:41
What does polarity mean? :confused:

Ignore that, dumb question, + / - duh ... can somebody PM me and link to a suitable capacitor @ marlin or alike? :)

timofee
23-03-15, 15:59
Any of these from Mаplins will work

N89KF 330uF 50v
DT64U 220Uf 50V
N86KF 220Uf 35V

HeRmAN
01-04-15, 14:52
Don't forget to place a ceramic capacitor parallel as well.

Shall it only be in parallel with C807 or any of the other capacitors as well?
Any suggestion of what value/voltage to use.

I discussed the issue at work with our senior HW designer that also has a Vu+Duo box and it was his suggestion too and then I haven't read this tread.
It's very common that hight frequency noice kills the caps rather than the heat but the combination isn't improving the situation.
If it was only the heat many other caps would need to be replaced since there are plenty of them in the box.

DogsDinner
11-04-15, 16:36
WOW WOW WOW!

Thought I'd give this ago today, so went and got my capacitor - cost me 84p - 15 minutes and a burnt finger later I switched the Duo back on. It came right back from the dead! I'm delighted!

Thanks for all the advice guys :thumbsup:

deano41
17-04-15, 12:40
Afternoon everybody not been on here asking questions for a long time BUT I now have this red light problem..After reading the tut I thought that sounds straight forward enough only problem is the capacitor on this duo is nothing like the one in the pics, it is a lot smaller and is kind of just flat across the two point +/-.. Any advise would be much appreciated, I think the duo is about 15months old... Cheers John

abu baniaz
17-04-15, 13:20
That is a SMD, surface mounted device. They changed them to hopeully fix the issue. Obviously not worked.

You can use the ines that have been posted in this thread.

deano41
17-04-15, 13:27
Thanks for the reply just wanted to add that this only happened after a few problems with the box I did a re-flash with the latest duo vix image and bootloader..This is when it actually happened straight after flashing the 3.0 bootloader.. Could this be a software issue rather than a hardware one even tho I did use the correct files to flash the box..

reverend
12-06-15, 20:44
H...
Hot air, and IRDA.

Hi Ford. I would like to send you a PM about this. Your inbox is currently full though.

Thanks

reverend

boomer35
30-06-15, 16:14
Hi Ford after replacing the cap (didnt solve the problem ) i noticed the c 801 chip had blown can you give me a price to replace the 801 chip

thanks boomer

reverend
07-07-15, 07:05
Hi Ford after replacing the cap (didnt solve the problem ) i noticed the c 801 chip had blown can you give me a price to replace the 801 chip

thanks boomer

You can buy them on Ebay. Search for "Vu+ Duo red light fix"

jonthesatman
26-07-15, 23:02
hi guys ..well thought i had same red light of death ..but after getting prof. help ,turns out my box will need new mother board ..is there anyone on the forum with the same problem .. and where would i be able to pick up mother board for vu duo ,,thanx for any replies ..

cactikid
26-07-15, 23:39
plenty on sale from the cloners[ crap ] but not seen any for the old duo,maybe its time to retire the old thing and put money towards a better faster unit? i know its not a result you want but it could be a costly repair against a better upgrade.look at the mad prices wos is giving away boxes for:thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
27-07-15, 06:58
How do you know it's the MB?
When the cap has gone, the voltage regulator will also go after some time, requiring replacement.

jonthesatman
27-07-15, 20:27
How do you know it's the MB?
When the cap has gone, the voltage regulator will also go after some time, requiring replacement.

hi .my tv wizard guy took main board out and could hardly touch the black heatsink part in the middle of the board .took board out and looked burned underneath ..also with the heat ,distorts picture on screen to this wierd green pixilation color ..so looks like new main board..

Defcon
01-08-15, 22:54
My mates Duo won't power on. No lights or noise at all. I take it this is a psu issues? Is there a way to test it? I do notice a lot of white stuff around certain components on the psu. What is that?

pz8l8t
02-08-15, 08:52
You need to get a voltage meter and test the power voltages going in the main board from the PSU. If you haven't done anything like that before take it to a place where they have experience I.e. TV repair shop.

martynkhill
02-08-15, 09:30
Hey lads.
Sorry I have not posted for some time.
Busy setting up my 2 way radio repair centre.
Hot air, and IRDA.
Thanks for your kind comments on my sticky.
Cheers.

Hi Ford

Trying to send you a PM, your box is full.

Martyn

Defcon
02-08-15, 16:31
You need to get a voltage meter and test the power voltages going in the main board from the PSU. If you haven't done anything like that before take it to a place where they have experience I.e. TV repair shop.

I have a meter and I was trying to check. What I notice is when I put the black test lead on the case body, there is a fluctuating voltage of less than a volt with the red lead touching nothing. Not sure if this means a voltage leakage somewhere.

On the ribbon type cable going to the board, I take it, the wire marked 12v should report 12v or near enough on the meter if psu is working fine?

tonydix
24-08-15, 17:21
Thanks for your excellent tutorial.
I bought a used unit from Ebay which worked for about 1 week !
It now displays the redlight and is otherwise dead.
I have opened the unit and began the repair according you your tutorial.
Sadly I discoverd that the unit had already been repaired BADLY.
I have measured the voltages on all 15 conductors from the PSU but in your article you dont mention what they should be.
I get various dc votages eg ground,5v,12v,16v and 36v. I also note a red light in the digital audio output connector.
I suspect damage to the pcb board around C807 and U801 maybe contributing.
Can you assist with any further info or advice.
Many thanks
Tony

tonydix
27-10-15, 12:24
Thanks for your excellent article. I had the redlight problem and did the repair. Sadly still a redlight.
I have the unit disassembled and tried some voltage tests. The main connector is P801 and there are no volts showing on any pins except pin 2 which shows 5 volts. I suspect this is a standby voltage and a signal on another pin , possibly pin 3 is required to start up the psu. Do you have any futher info or ideally the circuit diagram ? Thanks Tony

Jules
23-11-15, 22:14
Hi, Guys,
I have had a VU+ Duo for a few years now.
I had the red light issue a year or 2 ago and fixed it with th cap.
I have noticed the weak HD channel issue starting to creep in now, I will try that cap change too.

I have got 2 more VU+ Duo boxes to see if I can repair. I have changed the caps and smd on both, display still says "starting" but nothing else happens, no fan either.
I have a couple of power supply boards here too. I changed a cap on one which worked for a short time but I don't think this is the problem.
Can anyone advise me on where else my problem lies please if poss?
Thanks.
Regards,
Jules.

Jules
24-11-15, 19:01
Spent hours on two Duos given up for now.
I have replaced all 3 regs and all 3 caps on both units.
They both display "starting" and no fan running.

Cheers,
Jules

nibbenjamin
19-12-15, 22:19
Hi guys - would anyone be able to replace the regulator for me if i send the board to you with the part?

Im too clumsy to change it myself? Any help is appreciated before i bin the box :confused:

Obviously neccessary recompense will be give!:thumbsup:

nibbenjamin
23-12-15, 20:56
I have had the above sorted locally and when I've reassembled the box it's back to life like Lazarus! Thanks to anyone who looked anyway!

MarsArtis
23-01-16, 08:51
Have read rhe whole thread but did Not found the tech specs to replace faulty REGULATOR.

Any help appreciated.

pz8l8t
23-01-16, 09:38
regulator is the aoz1021

madbriuk
24-01-16, 00:46
yo is there anyway to fix a power board my box is dead.
thanks

judge
24-01-16, 02:26
yo is there anyway to fix a power board my box is dead.
thanks

yo is there anyway to tell what power board ur box is using 'nd why u say its dead.
thanks

madbriuk
24-01-16, 09:45
ill try and find out mate, Just before it dyed on me I could smell burning and then nothing it was fine before that.
thanks
Vu + Duo Twin Tuner

madbriuk
25-01-16, 17:17
I got a new board and its still dead, could it be the switch how do I bypass the switch just to test.
thanks

abu baniaz
25-01-16, 19:19
Can you post pitures of the board. Also include the rear of the receiver

madbriuk
26-01-16, 08:32
ok here you go mate.
thanks

madbriuk
26-01-16, 09:29
forgot to ask how do I bypass the switch and why is there 4 wires.
thanks

davefingers
29-01-16, 18:38
madbriuk The switch pictured is a double pole single throw switch, just test it with a multimeter, right pair open / short on toggle, ditto for the left pair.
I doubt it's the switch though.

davefingers
29-01-16, 18:40
there are 4 wires as it switches bolth the positive and the negative

madbriuk
29-01-16, 21:44
hi lads I got it working the lcd display was faulty so couldent see anything but when I went on any channel it stayed on that channels and wouldn't move, Everything worked till I put a channel on, I tested every image I could get my hands on it it still did the same so there must still be a problem, maybe with the mother board, Anyway I had enough with the thing I couldn't sell it on the net like that so I give it away to some old chap round the corner.
Thanks

MarsArtis
15-02-16, 18:24
What a hell.
One of my DUOs suddenly dead both for capacitor and the regulator.
Successfully replaced both and the DUO worked for a day.
Than the capacitor blew again.
Replaced it.
Duo started, tuned and after a minute dead again.

I think I'm gonna give up.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

madbriuk
15-02-16, 18:39
i wont buy another duo

abu baniaz
15-02-16, 18:42
going by your thread on the other forum, you have a cloned receiver.

anyway, they are old. so no point buying them.

madbriuk
15-02-16, 18:51
yes it was but loads are having prob with gen ones? I didn't know mine was a clone till I wanted help with it, I got ripped off?

abu baniaz
15-02-16, 18:58
sorry to hear. hope your next receiver is troublefree.

madbriuk
15-02-16, 19:12
I had an et9000 but lasted 4 years then blow up now I have an et9500 all good for now

danmclfc
07-03-16, 16:33
Thank you sir I'll give this a go

Jules
19-05-16, 20:17
Hi, I have a Duo that when I changed the C807 cap cured my problem.
I have been given two more Duos now to cure the same problem. I have changed 3 caps and a reg on one which now works.
I did the same on the other but no matter what image I use it works but after a while starts a restarting loop. Just wondering if anyone has changed mor caps around the board that may cure it?

Thanks.
Regards,
Jules.

geordie
26-05-16, 15:37
hi loved the fix but when opened the box my capacitor c807 was different to the ones on your image as photo shows will this be the same problem with red dot fix put tester on and right voltage coming out but switch on and of till starting comes on do you think I should change capacitor for similar or put one on your photo on4827848279 help please

TK4|2|1
27-05-16, 08:52
@geordie

That is VU+'s factory fix for the capacitor problem on earlier duo boxes, so I'm guessing it didn't fix the problem. They may have modified other parts of the circuit so I would not go putting standard electrolytic capacitors back in, could go BOOM!

As a matter of interest, what does your power board look like? You might have faulty capacitors on there causing the issue.

jakspratb
11-06-16, 17:35
Hi, hoping someone can answer this pretty easily, is the C807 burnt on this picture, I won't be repairing this myself but would like to be able to tell someone exactly what needs changing.

Thanks in advance

TK4|2|1
11-06-16, 19:04
Hi, hoping someone can answer this pretty easily, is the C807 burnt on this picture, I won't be repairing this myself but would like to be able to tell someone exactly what needs changing.

Thanks in advance

No that's just flux, nothing to worry about. Your box has the vu factory modification already done to it, so you may have a different issue.

Jaxter
19-07-16, 01:23
Well my box has been playing up for a month starting with not responding to the remote to bring it out of deep standby. i started using the switch at the back which would get the box to boot after flicking it on and off a few times and eventually tat stopped working.
grabbed a capacitor from maplin and some silver solder, i happened to buy a soldering iron about a month ago and have done one job 2 tiny wires to a circuit board.
This job i clipped the existing capacitor off which didnt leave much off the old legs i soldered one leg and my daughter whos hand is way more steadier then mine did the second and hey presto box is up n running again pleased as punch.

porche944
26-08-16, 20:27
Hi everyone, not posted for a very long time.

Just to say thanks for this thread, fix my 5 year old Vu+DUO by replacing cap C848.

I had already replaced cap C807 about 2 years ago.

The problem I had this time channels were appearing "grey" in the channel list after a scan and there were only about 300 where I would get 600+. Selecting the channel I would get "Tune Failed". Tried changing images, satellite.xml, tuner configurations, some else's sat dish etc. nothing worked.

After replacing C848 with a 1500uF 10v @ 105C did another scan now up to 700 channels and my SNR has increased from about 45 to 70.

Thanks again.

Jules
26-08-16, 21:56
Great to hear Buddy

ajh1949
02-09-16, 09:29
Hi,
My box is stuck on starting, however, when I removed the cover a capacitor on what I assume is the power board, has obviously blown as the top was off it! This is marked as C17 on the board. There is also signs of leakage from the large capacitor on the same board marked C1.
Should I try replacing these capacitors?
Thanks
ajh1949

zenith
03-09-16, 16:40
hi all not sure what my problem is?
box is original vu duo had for 4 years and has vix 4.2.001 also tried with later vix 3 image same thing happens.
started a week ago where vix sign would come up and box would`nt respond to remote had to restar same again after twenty mins?
i have changed capacitor c807 last year when got red light and fixed my problem until now.
changed that again when seemed same problem doesn`nt have red light.no change so changed c814 and c850 with 220uf 35v all 3 still same problem.box takes time for problem to start and gradually gets sluggish and vix sign coming up.
did notice that one of the capacitors on psu was showing slight bulging not burst?
could this be my problem?
any help on this as always much appreciated

adm
03-09-16, 19:07
hi all not sure what my problem is?
box is original vu duo had for 4 years and has vix 4.2.001 also tried with later vix 3 image same thing happens.
started a week ago where vix sign would come up and box would`nt respond to remote had to restar same again after twenty mins?
i have changed capacitor c807 last year when got red light and fixed my problem until now.
changed that again when seemed same problem doesn`nt have red light.no change so changed c814 and c850 with 220uf 35v all 3 still same problem.box takes time for problem to start and gradually gets sluggish and vix sign coming up.
did notice that one of the capacitors on psu was showing slight bulging not burst?
could this be my problem?
any help on this as always much appreciated

Often a faulty electrolytic capacitor doesn't show any physical sign of failure but if you have one that is bulging then consider it to be dead.

adm
03-09-16, 19:13
Hi,
My box is stuck on starting, however, when I removed the cover a capacitor on what I assume is the power board, has obviously blown as the top was off it! This is marked as C17 on the board. There is also signs of leakage from the large capacitor on the same board marked C1.
Should I try replacing these capacitors?
Thanks
ajh1949

How are you identifying that the capacitor is leaking? In many PSUs some components are glued to larger components or the board to make the circuit more resilient to vibration (during shipping). The blob of glue is often mistaken for something that has been expelled from a capacitor.

Also be aware that a very large capacitor close to the mains input is likely to have 300+V across it. This can kill! Switch the box off at the mains plug and leave for at least 5 minutes before messing around with this capacitor.

Tmc007
12-11-16, 22:05
hi i have a vu+ solo 2 with the same problem could this be the same problem with mine

franta
09-12-16, 22:38
hello guys,
i seams to have a different issue: my receiver seams to go automatically to deep standby or at least this is my impression
i have the receiver since 2010 and 2 years ago i had changed the capacitor. all went ok until 3 month ago when the power source went down , I had change the 2 1500mF capacitors in the middle of the board and all was ok. i had replace in the same shot all 3 capacitors on the motherboard (one was replaced 2 years ago) to be sure...

a few days ago in the morning i find my receiver with red light, but the receiver is answering to he remote and when i pres power is starting , then is telling vu duo and after a few second the red light comes again.
i use one of the latest vix images

I am considering a software issue but i am afraid if i try to install a fresh image will block in the middle of the process and brick my reciver

any advice will be highly appreciated

carmine
08-04-17, 23:58
please delete you in box for pms i tried to send you a pm

ks2013
05-06-17, 22:26
Can someone advise if this is the right capacitor to replace with.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/220f-35v-105c-radial-electrolytic-capacitor-n86kf

Thanks

timofee
06-06-17, 07:16
That will work fine. Also it is a good choice as it is a higher rating in having both higher voltage and higher temperature tolerance than the original capacitor.

adm
06-06-17, 12:37
That will work fine. Also it is a good choice as it is a higher rating in having both higher voltage and higher temperature tolerance than the original capacitor.

True and possibly OK for this application. Ideally it also has to be low impedance (low Z) and Maplin do not claim that for that capacitor. They do even state the manufacturer so a search on the Web for a full data sheet is pointless. Check the physical size - the packaging for a capacitor that has a higher voltage rating may/will be larger - usually height and in a power supply there is usually plenty of room for a taller component.

Alternative UK supplier for reputable capacitors

http://cpc.farnell.com/rubycon/35yxf220my1013/capacitor-low-z-35v-220uf/dp/CA05108

data sheet

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/14936.pdf

http://cpc.farnell.com/panasonic-electronic-components/eeufc1e221/capacitor-220uf-25v/dp/CA05151

data sheet

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/94578.pdf

Rapid Electronics (UK based)

https://www.rapidonline.com/samwha-wf1v227m1012m-220-f-20-35v-105-c-low-imp-radial-alum-elect-capacitor-11-3928

You may/will be able to find the same manufacturers part numbers on a well known auction site but possibly buy from a UK supplier with a high feedback score.

timofee
06-06-17, 12:46
I fitted a Mаplin capacitor in a VU+ Duo1 and it has been working faultlessly for four years.

The original capacitor fitted by VU in the factory failed after a year or so.

b13orn
24-07-17, 20:04
hi there are no capacitors on my board??? all 3 in that row look like a brown strip between negative and positive is there an upgrade

timofee
25-07-17, 13:40
The faulty capacitors are only present on the original production on the VU+Duo1.

The later VU+ Duo1 versions have much smaller integrated capacitors. These are not known to fail as frequently as the originally used capacitors.

In any event, this repair guide does not apply.

io2345
06-07-22, 12:47
I replaced C807 with a Tantalum-type now, 220uF 16V. Hope, it will last longer. Changed it already two years ago (with a standard Electrolytic-type though).
If you are not into electronics pls. note, that Tantalum Capacitors have marked the + Wire (not - like the Electrolytic ones).

The Duo is still working fine for me. I'm on latest OpenPLI

adm
06-07-22, 16:01
I replaced C807 with a Tantalum-type now, 220uF 16V. Hope, it will last longer. Changed it already two years ago (with a standard Electrolytic-type though).
If you are not into electronics pls. note, that Tantalum Capacitors have marked the + Wire (not - like the Electrolytic ones).

The Duo is still working fine for me. I'm on latest OpenPLI

Fit them round the wrong way and they will immediately glow cherry red before producing the magic smoke. If you are unlucky red hot capacitor casing will fly towards you at high speed :)

Tantalums have the habit of failing short circuit whereas the electrolytic capacitors originally fitted fail more gracefully - the capacitance and internal resistance changes.

"Standard" 85C Electrolytic capacitors seldom last that long in a switched mode power supply. Ideally the replacements should be designated impedance (low Z) or Low ESR (Equivalent Self Resistance), be rated for 105 degrees Centigrade operational, from a reputable brand such as Rubycon, Panasonic or Vishey etc. and purchased from a reputable source.

io2345
07-08-22, 12:45
I replaced C807 with a Tantalum-type now, 220uF 16V. Hope, it will last longer. Changed it already two years ago (with a standard Electrolytic-type though)....

One month later the red light symptom was back from time to time. Puzzled, I fiddled out the Mainboard. Did ever someone find something like that before?:

Important thing that we learn from that: C807 is only one out of three capacitors, it is in parallel with C814 and C850. So, if your box won't start after replacing one of them, replace all three of them.
In order to be prepared for a quick replacement I extended the wires now. Not beautiful but works:

=============================================

Information for people who have trouble to tune certain channels: I tried the hack of @addicted (Post 28 of this thread (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide&p=262912&viewfull=1#post262912)). C848 indeed has something to do with tuning problems (If it's missing, you can't tune any channel, in fact). Working fine now. Thanks apply to @addicted for this.

adm
07-08-22, 16:04

With those bare component leads you stand a good chance of them shorting out to the tops of other electrolytic capacitors on the board.

io2345
07-08-22, 18:13
Those are solid copper wires, no flex (stranded wire). Unless you throw the box, they will stay in place. But, of course, you are right - it would be better to insulate it...

littlejim
08-08-22, 04:25
There can be be cases where the inductance of that length of wire would be enough to cause problems.

If you use the right parts, and parts that don't date from the capacitor plague when a lot of manufacturers were using a stolen faulty recipe for the electrolyte in the electrolytic capacitors, they will not need replacing again.

That looks like a weird bodge too. Not a great idea to rely on the green solder resist as an insulator.

adm
08-08-22, 09:55
There can be be cases where the inductance of that length of wire would be enough to cause problems.

While the capacitors may be decoupling the power supply they don't appear to be part of the power supply board where filtering of high frequencies are more important.

If you use the right parts, and parts that don't date from the capacitor plague when a lot of manufacturers were using a stolen faulty recipe for the electrolyte in the electrolytic capacitors, they will not need replacing again.

While I agree I'm not sure it as simple as that. I read a report from a reputable manufacture that indicated that with even the correct electrolyte some manufactures were attempting to miniaturise one stage too far. All the reputable manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors seem to have the same physical can size for the same voltage/capacitance rating whereas some of the capacitors coming out of Korea were/are smaller. Given that it was mainly Korean manufacturers that were using the stolen recipe (and got it wrong) this may be true. In my experience capacitors made by SamYoung (not Samsung) and various other brand names close to those of more respected electronic goods manufacturers do tend to fail more quickly than their specification sheet suggests.

The life expectancy of a capacitor rated at 105 degrees centigrade may be only 2000 hours AT THAT TEMPERATURE but for EVERY 10C below that perhaps double the life expectancy figure. That's why it's recommended to use a capacitor rated for 105C operation rather than ones rated at the more common 85C. It's the operational temperature inside your box that matters which could easily peak at 50C+ and if the capacitors are in the power supply they could be physically close to a very hot heatsink. The price difference between a general purpose capacitor and better rated one may be of the order of 10p and often it's only the better temperature rated capacitors that have a low ESR suitable for switched mode power supplies.

That looks like a weird bodge too. Not a great idea to rely on the green solder resist as an insulator.

+1

io2345
10-08-22, 17:56
With those bare component leads you stand a good chance of them shorting out to the tops of other electrolytic capacitors on the board.
A side effect that may arise from the long wires is, that the box switches on itself from time to time. Weird.

io2345
15-08-22, 12:11
Now it looks like that and works without unexpected wake-ups: