PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] epg button changes, bouquet list

stu_iow
26-02-13, 15:29
hi all,

Recently updated my vix 3.0 and i have found one of the many buttons i use (channel up/down) no longer brings up the bouquet list but forwards ahead 24 hours in the guide.

Can i change this back or is the bouquet call up screen assigned to a different button now?

Many thanks,
Stuart

GiP
26-02-13, 17:28
I was surprised buy this change too, but from the other side. I used a lot the "<" and ">" to skip 24h and now they change bouquet, while the CH+ and CH- do the skip ( I have never used them before so I didn't know they worked with bouquets).
I think the old way was more logical as the keys that move around the EPG (2 8 4 6 < and >) where close together and I don't understand the reason for this change, but I suppose I can learn the new keys.....

G

Larry-G
26-02-13, 17:42
I was surprised buy this change too, but from the other side. I used a lot the "<" and ">" to skip 24h and now they change bouquet, while the CH+ and CH- do the skip ( I have never used them before so I didn't know they worked with bouquets).
I think the old way was more logical as the keys that move around the EPG (2 8 4 6 < and >) where close together and I don't understand the reason for this change, but I suppose I can learn the new keys.....

G

One of the reasons was to harmonise the keymap among the various EPG screens. previously the same keys did vastly different things in the various EPG screens and it was frankly confusing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Myapp
13-03-13, 21:32
Thanks for the info. But is there anyway to now select the bouquet from within the EPG? It seems illogical to have to come out of the tv guide to select another bouquet....

Tkr001
13-03-13, 23:06
There are numerous threads on how to do this! If you have show bouquet at launch on pressing <> will bring up the bouquet list, if set to off pressing <> will cycle through bouguets

stu_iow
16-03-13, 12:20
I'm not really struck on the new button setup. I find them frustrating.
Anyway of setting the keys back from my end?

gazhay
04-04-13, 17:52
+1, even if you have show bouquet list on start enabled, there is no way to bring it up, the <> buttons still cycle the bouquets.

This is a major regression. All we need is one option to make the <> buttons bring up the bouquet list instead of cycling.

Larry-G
04-04-13, 18:14
+1, even if you have show bouquet list on start enabled, there is no way to bring it up, the <> buttons still cycle the bouquets.

This is a major regression. All we need is one option to make the <> buttons bring up the bouquet list instead of cycling.

Press the TV button on the remote. This will bring up the Bouquet list in the graphicl epg where the program synopsis resides.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

gazhay
04-04-13, 22:38
Ok then, what context do I use to remap that in keymap.xml then?

e.g. will this work?

<map context="GraphicalEPG">
<key id="KEY_CHANNELUP" mapto="bouquetlist" flags="m" />
<key id="KEY_CHANNELDOWN" mapto="bouquetlist" flags="m" />
</map>

stu_iow
04-04-13, 22:56
I too would certainly love to be able to customise the keys back to how they were, i find it frustrating haveing to scroll through the bouquets one at a time using < and >. The channel up/down to bring up the bouquet list was far more efficient

Larry-G
04-04-13, 23:01
I too would certainly love to be able to customise the keys back to how they were, i find it frustrating haveing to scroll through the bouquets one at a time using < and >. The channel up/down to bring up the bouquet list was far more efficient

as i said press TV on the remote to bring up the bouquet list.

stu_iow
04-04-13, 23:34
yeah i know, it's not the same though :(

judge
04-04-13, 23:41
yeah i know, it's not the same though :(

one button press with added funcionality, what more could you want?

jayjayuk
05-04-13, 08:44
one button press with added funcionality, what more could you want?

Added functionality?

as i said press TV on the remote to bring up the bouquet list.

This doesn't work from within the EPG, like the channel up button did before... you could switch bouquets and it would return to the EPG automatically

How can i get the bouquet list from the EPG now then?

I just updated to build 645 and now even the left and right buttons no longer switch bouquets....

Right now, just to switch bouquets, i have to exit the EPG, then press the TV button? :eek:

Delagroov
05-04-13, 09:05
Added functionality?

This doesn't work from within the EPG, like the channel up button did before... you could switch bouquets and it would return to the EPG automatically

How can i get the bouquet list from the EPG now then?

I just updated to build 645 and now even the left and right buttons no longer switch bouquets....

Right now, just to switch bouquets, i have to exit the EPG, then press the TV button? :eek:

One uses the TV button to open bouqeuts and long Push TV button switches EPG with/without PIG..

Left right to instantly jump through bouqeuts works okay here on build 645.

jayjayuk
05-04-13, 09:31
One uses the TV button to open bouqeuts and long Push TV button switches EPG with/without PIG..

Left right to instantly jump through bouqeuts works okay here on build 645.

Not working for me here....

If i have EPG open, pressing TV (shortpress) does nothing, long press brings up guide without preview picture

Left and right does history zap for me now, and absolutely nothing when i'm on the EPG... odd!

Either way, it's clearly now more complex than it was before.

Perhaps it can be changed so that a long press of the channel up button brings up the bouquet list whilst in the EPG...... as before, or at least a button that does the same thing?

as it stands, i will be looking for a new image :( as it has been made clear in this thread and in another i just read that devs aren't interested

Larry-G
05-04-13, 09:40

If i have EPG open, pressing TV (shortpress) does nothing, long press brings up guide without preview picture

Left and right does history zap for me now, and absolutely nothing when i'm on the EPG... odd!

Perhaps it can be changed so that a long press of the channel up button brings up the bouquet list whilst in the EPG...... as before, or at least a button that does the same thing?

as it stands, i will be looking for a new image :( as it has been made clear in this thread and in another i just read that devs aren't interested

good luck then.

judge
05-04-13, 09:41

what box are you using?
did you restore previous build back-ups?
also, can you upload debug logs after you do the button presses that don't seem to work or you.
Feel free to use any other image.

jayjayuk
05-04-13, 10:07
good luck then.
ignored all of my post apart from the last comment? :thumbsup:

great attitude 'junior admin' you'll go far! :rolleyes:

what box are you using?
did you restore previous build back-ups?
also, can you upload debug logs after you do the button presses that don't seem to work or you.
Feel free to use any other image.

Hi, the thing is I'm not 100% sure what's meant to happen now? Is the bouquet list meant to appear when I press the TV button from the full EPG? Or if not, is there a button?

As for restore, I didn't actively ask for any restore, I was on 62x (dont remember the exact build number) and did the update via the menu...

Larry-G
05-04-13, 10:14
ignored all of my post apart from the last comment? :thumbsup:

great attitude 'junior admin' you'll go far! :rolleyes:

no but quite frankly i have no time for some one who it seems to me wants nothing but to complain for the sake of complaining. if you feel the need to shout and rant that your going to go and use another image then perhaps thats what you should do.

if on the other hand you want help resolving your problems then we will give that help but leave out the attitude.

jayjayuk
05-04-13, 10:22
no but quite frankly i have no time for some one who it seems to me wants nothing but to complain for the sake of complaining. if you feel the need to shout and rant that your going to go and use another image then perhaps thats what you should do.

Huh? For the sake of complaining??! What on earth are you talking about? I came here and have politely asked for some help... And a little bit of courtesy, i bought multiple boxes from this website, You think I've nothing better to do but post here? Because some jumped up supercilious wannabe admin would rather ignore my comments except from the one comment which would save you time and effort helping?

Open your eyes, it's not just me who has an issue with this, and unlike yourself, there are some helpful people here, perhaps you should stay out of threads where you are unable to offer help...

Anyway, Forget about it, I'm done here.... Have fun

Thanks to the other people who provided some useful answers and tried to help, it's much appreciated

Delete my account and comments etc if u like, brush it under the carpet, not really bothered tbh

Larry-G
05-04-13, 10:32
press EPG / GUIDE to open the Graphical EPG.

press TV to change the channel synopsis to the bouquet list view.

navigate through the bouquet list using the up and down buttons then highlight and select the one you want using the ok button to go to that bouquet within the GraphicalEPG.

I cant really describe it any easier but it seems you just dont want to listen to or take advice given.

Delagroov
05-04-13, 10:48

What skin are u using?? It need latest Vix skin to work okay
Long TV press seems to work
Tv short doe snot seem to work for you

stu_iow
05-04-13, 11:11
i too do feel that the fact you can't get the list of bouquets up within the epg is a step backwards, i feel functionality has been lost.

I do love the vix firmware, been using it for 2 years or so and version 3 has been the best and most stable by far, i won't move away from it, but i do find this issue we are talking about on here very restrictive and frustrating.
'm not moaning for the sake of it, i am hoping you will take our views in and either reverse the decision to remove the function to get the bouquet list up within epg or to add a new keypress, short or long so i can continue to not be frustrated by browsing what is on to watch.

This isn't a personal attack on anyone, please don't feel it is, (i get the feeling with the tone it is a little like this), its just a keen user wanting to suggest ways of improving a product.

(by the way, when i write this, if i press TV within EPG, i go back to viewing the current channel and the epg closes) - should the bouquet list open up?

mickyblueys
05-04-13, 11:23
i too do feel that the fact you can't get the list of bouquets up within the epg is a step backwards, i feel functionality has been lost.........

(by the way, when i write this, if i press TV within EPG, nothing happens) - should the bouquet list open up?

Yes pressing tv brings up bouquet list, so obviously if it doesn't on you'res then your upgrade hasn't installed correctly, so you need to flash again....I'd say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

stu_iow
05-04-13, 13:05
ok, will look at that over the weekend!
Many thanks!

andyblac
05-04-13, 13:56
Ok then, what context do I use to remap that in keymap.xml then?

e.g. will this work?

<map context="GraphicalEPG">
<key id="KEY_CHANNELUP" mapto="bouquetlist" flags="m" />
<key id="KEY_CHANNELDOWN" mapto="bouquetlist" flags="m" />
</map>

no, you can't, it is hard coded to TV button.

andyblac
05-04-13, 14:01

go code your own image then, i spent days recoding this for the few of you that bitched about it. now i have done it, you still bitch, i can't win. if you think you can do better then please do so.

Andy.

guff daddy
05-04-13, 14:20
go code your own image then, i spent days recoding this for the few of you that bitched about it. now i have done it, you still bitch, i can't win. if you think you can do better then please do so.

Andy.

I bitched about it (a little) at the time so this is just to say thanks for all your hard work coding so that the TV button now brings up the bouquet list within the EPG - this is a much better way of working. Unfortunately some people indeed seem to be too busy complaining to follow instructions...

gazhay
05-04-13, 22:39
Thanks, now that I have actually found the new bouquet selection it is much better than the old way of exiting the EPG to the bouquet selection screen and then re-opening the EPG.

I had the problem that my rf modulator cuts off half an inch of the screen for the tvs around the house, so I eneded up adding padding to the bouquet names.

Top work.

BubbleBalls
05-04-13, 22:46
Hi, I was among the first to complain that not having a one button press to access the bouquets was impractical and not user friendly. I had also gotten used to the channel + and - to access the list in gepg. I honestly didn't mind what button was used so long as it was available. It's been a regular topic since it changed.

Not only has Andy returned that feature, he has done it in a way that's less intrusive than before, as its integrated into one screen. Also included is the feature of quick record, like Sky. This has been requested continuously since I registered about ten months ago, again evidence that requests are taken on board. This attention to users views and opinions is one of the reasons why I love the image.

I initially did not like the new mappings, mainly because of the above complaint, but I would not considering switching image, so its a shame to see some one else doing so.

The latest epg tweaks are fantastic so a huge Thanks to Andy.

Andy, I know you know you can't please us all but please continue your good work, it's invaluable.

Tapatalker

judge
05-04-13, 23:02
I initially did not like the new mappings, mainly because of the above complaint, but I would not considering switching image, so its a shame to see some one else doing so.

The latest epg tweaks are fantastic so a huge Thanks to Andy.

Changing button mappings is always going to be a bit of a pain in the ass, especially if you've been using the image a long while...
Once you get used to any new button mappings & new funcionality though, it's usually well worth the change.

andyblac
06-04-13, 10:29
thanks guys, sorry about my harsh words yesterday, just sometimes it seems thats i can't do right for doing wrong, i know i can't please everyone, but believe me i do try.

Andy.

polosolo
07-04-13, 16:17
Thank you andy for all your hard work and efforts, I think you have done a Fantastic!! job and most importantly ............ The Missus is happy :D

BTW , Thanks also to all the guy`s who work tirelessly in the forums, helping us all out.

I for one would be in limbo without all your invaluable input.

Thank you.

Regards

polosolo

jayjayuk
08-04-13, 05:22

Andy.

Ha! again, you lot just feed on the one comment i make? very negative over-sensitive staff here.....

I don't get it...

All i said was the image didn't currently do what I wanted, nothing more, yet i'm bitching? lol...you MUST be relatively new to coding for the public because you aren't going to be able to please everyone, and those who don't like a particular change are going to mention it? isn't that what forums are for?

If you prefer sycophantic members, who post nothing but praise for every single change, then remove the forums and just add a page so people can click 'like' or something..

For the record, i didn't complain about previous images, so you changed something for a 'Few poeple' who complained? maybe you should be addressing the majority, not the minority?

as long as the forums remains you better get used to feedback! no point throwing your toys out of the pram though!

As it turns out, it was the skin at fault, it only works on vix skins, i don't like the vix skins much, so, i have no choice but to change.

I have installed blackhole now, much better for MY needs.

Nothing personal, no need to have a cow about it.

BubbleBalls
08-04-13, 07:08
Jayjayuk, you said the devs just weren't interested,which just ain't true.

Glad you're sorted.

Tapatalker

judge
08-04-13, 11:02
If you prefer sycophantic members, who post nothing but praise for every single change, then remove the forums and just add a page so people can click 'like' or something..
you can be damn sure Andy takes enough shit, feature requests & battles in the development forums...

was the skin at fault, it only works on vix skins, i don't like the vix skins much, so, i have no choice but to change.

Enjoy any other image, the joy of these boxes...

Delagroov
08-04-13, 11:25
As it turns out, it was the skin at fault, it only works on vix skins, i don't like the vix skins much, so, i have no choice but to change.

So you where using another skin.(still no clue which one)
But every skin has to addapted to specific features.

So you can also try to get help with that and ask the skinner

s31teg
08-04-13, 17:50
im one to add the next channel list is the boy, spot on, even better than before

all your hard work is worth it! keep up the work andy!

Tkr001
09-04-13, 02:17

Not quite correct. It works fine for me using Magic HD night.

dymebox
09-04-13, 07:30
I just wanted to say absolutely sterling work on reintegrating the bouquets in to the EPG! It works fantastically. Indeed, better than before!

Well done to those involved.

stu_iow
10-04-13, 17:27
I upgraded today and the new solution is a very good way and much better way of switching between bouquets.
Thanks for implementing it and implementing it in such a way, it makes channel flicking so much less stressful!!

Larry-G
10-04-13, 17:36
Ha! again, you lot just feed on the one comment i make? very negative over-sensitive staff here.....

I don't get it...

All i said was the image didn't currently do what I wanted, nothing more, yet i'm bitching? lol...you MUST be relatively new to coding for the public because you aren't going to be able to please everyone, and those who don't like a particular change are going to mention it? isn't that what forums are for?

For the record, i didn't complain about previous images, so you changed something for a 'Few poeple' who complained? maybe you should be addressing the majority, not the minority?

as long as the forums remains you better get used to feedback! no point throwing your toys out of the pram though!

Nothing personal, no need to have a cow about it.

no one is having a go at you and you are more than welcome to use any image you choose, in fact i personally recommend that users try several so that they can find the best one that fits their needs. But you also have to appreciate that what we do here is totally for free and on our own time, we are not paid at all for the work we do.

if you dont like the ViX image then thats fine, there are many more out there that you can choose from.

charliesen
10-04-13, 23:33
I'm a bit of " if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. Indeed up till 3 weeks ago I was running vix 1.1 on my duo. I decided to upgrade to vix 2.0 then took the plunge and upgraded to the latest images. Ok using the <-> was a little slow going through the bouquets but not a real biggie but the newest images are superb. How anyone can have a complaint about having to press the tv button instead of the + or - buttons is beyond me. It's 2 buttons, the same as vix 1.1 or 2.0 no more no less and the images are great. Good work andy and please keep it up it's very much appreciated by the majority of guys on here.

GiP
11-04-13, 10:53
I'm a bit of " if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. Indeed up till 3 weeks ago I was running vix 1.1 on my duo. I decided to upgrade to vix 2.0 then took the plunge and upgraded to the latest images. Ok using the <-> was a little slow going through the bouquets but not a real biggie but the newest images are superb. How anyone can have a complaint about having to press the tv button instead of the + or - buttons is beyond me. It's 2 buttons, the same as vix 1.1 or 2.0 no more no less and the images are great. Good work andy and please keep it up it's very much appreciated by the majority of guys on here.

Yes, it's true. VIX is definitely the best around and it's still improving, but I think the problem is lack of information. When you update the image and then something doesn't work there is a moment of panic, before you realize that it's just different, and you come here and found out as at that point probably someone has already asked about it. Probably a message that tells if there are difference in behaviour before a new VIX goes stable would smooth things out.

G

judge
11-04-13, 11:24
Yes, it's true. VIX is definitely the best around and it's still improving, but I think the problem is lack of information. When you update the image and then something doesn't work there is a moment of panic, before you realize that it's just different, and you come here and found out as at that point probably someone has already asked about it. Probably a message that tells if there are difference in behaviour before a new VIX goes stable would smooth things out.

G

it's all included in the update logs, not sure what more can be done?

GiP
11-04-13, 11:40
it's all included in the update logs, not sure what more can be done?

Well, a simple message that say just the change in what a button do, is more than just a line hidden between tens of other difficult to understand lines.
I actually looked for the line about "<" and ">" changing, and I couldn't find it, I am sure it's there but it's hard to find.

I am not saying you MUST do it, just that it would be an easy and fast way to reduce this type of reaction.
And actully now that I think of it that is what it was done in the older days when a new VIX came out once in a while, in the announce there was a short description of the changes.

G

judge
11-04-13, 12:06
Well, a simple message that say just the change in what a button do, is more than just a line hidden between tens of other difficult to understand lines.
I actually looked for the line about "<" and ">" changing, and I couldn't find it, I am sure it's there but it's hard to find.

I am not saying you MUST do it, just that it would be an easy and fast way to reduce this type of reaction.
And actully now that I think of it that is what it was done in the older days when a new VIX came out once in a while, in the announce there was a short description of the changes.

G

pheonix does a great job with release threads on stable builds, he also started this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27320-EPG-and-recording-enhancements-coming-soon-to-ViX&p=203968&viewfull=1#post203968) on these changes.
I do agree though that we probably don't do enough to let users know of new features added, by the time they're tested we're too used to the changes to notice them...