PDA

View Full Version : upgrade from vu duo, options?

stu_iow
24-02-13, 12:03
Hi all,
i am starting to look at upgrading my vu duo.
Reasons for this are i want more tuners and a faster CPU.

The tuners i want are 3x DVB-S2 tuner and 2xDVB-T tuners (i will use a USB dual dvb-T tuner i currently use).

The reason why i want a faster CPU is to improve the experience but i am also hoping that i will be able to transcode channels out over my internet connection, without using any other hardware. Will this be achievable?
i believe to do this now, i need to stream it to a PC then that transcodes out over the net, too much hassle for me really.

What are my options, (upgrade will be a few months away so please mention upcoming devices too).
I like to use VIX firmware but thats not essential.

Many thanks
Stuart

marty
24-02-13, 12:48
I went from a DUO to a GB Quad, this has two S2 tuners but has two slots available for either DVB-T or S2 tuners (at this time no S2 tuners are available but are due to be released at some point this year)
Unfortunatly there is no transcoding (there is on the Solo2)

I find the Quad fast with its 1.3GHz CPU and 1GB DDR3 1600mhz memory :cool:

stu_iow
24-02-13, 15:24
with memory and CPU being pretty good, why can't it transcode?

warajoker
26-02-13, 09:48
you can still forward a few ports and you can still view your channels on another network through openwebif. but you will need a high upload speed and a good download speed where you want to view. and rumours say that the solo2 has another chip built inside which allows it to transcode.
with memory and CPU being pretty good, why can't it transcode?