PDA

View Full Version : vu+ uno sticks on starting.....

roy0110
21-02-13, 18:41
if i restart enigma2 it reboots fine.
if however i restart box, it switches off, comes back on, but sticks on starting.....

i have to switch it off at the back (which i heard was bad for the box) then it comes back on fine.
running build 600 of vix.

roy0110
16-03-13, 13:22
update....
just updated image from 630 to 632, i left it to update and reboot.
again the same problem, sticks on starting..........
so i have had to switch it off and on manually (which i dont like doing)

i updated my other vu+uno receiver's image from 630 to 632 and it rebooted and restarted no problem.

would a factory reset and reflash be any point?

Larry-G
16-03-13, 13:26
all a factory reset will do is return the image back to standard, ie remove any customisations such as plugins you have installed.

it's very possible that the box is performing a disk check hence the slow start up but without a bootlog generated during the start up with a rs232 putty session there would be no real concrete way to know.

roy0110
16-03-13, 13:31
thanks,
how long is a "slow start up"?
there is a 500GB HDD in there.
i have left it 30 mins before turning it off and on manually.
next time i need to restart i can leave it longer if need be.

Larry-G
16-03-13, 13:35
an average startup should be under 1 minute 30 seconds. although mine has been known to sit there for 10 minutes before i just powered it off, thats said mine is a pre-release beta version ( the receiver not the image ).

it should not make a bit of difference but you could try loading the original Vu image to the receiver then reflash ViX or what every image you choose after.

you could also try ruling out the HDD by unplugging it and trying a reboot see if it makes any difference.

roy0110
16-03-13, 13:45
i'll follow your advice with the image, if that fails i'll go with the HDD unplugging although i had the same problem while using another HDD before the one thats installed now, the original one i used was brand new.
if the problem persists i will think about returning it for a replacement.
do you think the non-restarting problem is sufficient grounds to ask for a replacement?

Larry-G
16-03-13, 13:49
not sure to be honest but it would cost you nothing to speak to your supplier to see what the say about it, they may be able to help you find the fault.

roy0110
16-03-13, 13:53
thanks,
supplier is forum sponsor, would sending them a pm pointing them to this thread be the way to go about it?

judge
16-03-13, 13:56
Have you tried without network cable plugged in?

roy0110
16-03-13, 14:03
Have you tried without network cable plugged in?

well no, i have no idea what to try apart from what people suggest.
i have never heard of unplugging network cables after updating an image, there is no mention of it in the user manual, nor do i do it with my other vu+uno.
of course im willing to try it along with any other suggestions.

Larry-G
16-03-13, 14:07
well no, i have no idea what to try apart from what people suggest.
i have never heard of unplugging network cables after updating an image, there is no mention of it in the user manual, nor do i do it with my other vu+uno.
of course im willing to try it along with any other suggestions.

There was a problem a little while ago where some receivers would not properly boot up with the network cable inserted, still to this day i dont know why but rite now were just trying to eliminate as many possible things as the cause of your issues.

Sicilian
16-03-13, 14:20
Do as follows: -

1) Fresh flash lastest build 632.
2) Straight after completing the startup wizard re-initialize your HDD. Menu > Setup > System > Hard disk > Initialize. Exit out of all screens and wait for the pop up window saying 100% complete.
3) Do not restore any backups or install 3rd plugins, especially TSpanel. Only install a softcam if you use one.

Once setup, reboot, hold down standby button on remote and select restart. Check HDD is mounted to /media/hdd, blue button > ViX > Mount manager.

roy0110
18-03-13, 11:39
Do as follows: -

1) Fresh flash lastest build 632.
2) Straight after completing the startup wizard re-initialize your HDD. Menu > Setup > System > Hard disk > Initialize. Exit out of all screens and wait for the pop up window saying 100% complete.
3) Do not restore any backups or install 3rd plugins, especially TSpanel. Only install a softcam if you use one.

Once setup, reboot, hold down standby button on remote and select restart. Check HDD is mounted to /media/hdd, blue button > ViX > Mount manager.

right, i unplugged network cable, restarted and problem persisted.
i unplugged HDD, booted up, restarted, problem persisted.
put HDD back in, followed sicilian suggestion then restarted with and without network cable and still box wont restart until i physically switch off and on with power button at the back.
please note i had to perform the power off and on action immediately after reflashing with build 632 as it wouldnt restart naturally.

any other suggestions please?

Sicilian
19-03-13, 17:07
Please list an exact step by step of what you are doing after a fresh re-flash.

How long are you actually waiting for starting to end?

Have you waited then tried to tune to a channel instead of powering off? Pressing menu bring anything on screen?

roy0110
20-03-13, 10:15
i perform a fresh flash, press ch- on request, display reads update!, reading usb, erasing files etc then receiver reboots as normal part of flash process, display comes back on and says starting......

i have left it 30 mins before turning it off and on manually.
next time i need to restart i can leave it longer if need be.

i have tried to select a channel, menu etc , but while its stuck on starting..... nothing is ever displayed on tv, no openvix screen, the remote does nothing.

judge
20-03-13, 11:46
could you have changed the remote code while using a previous build?
maybe try resetting it.

roy0110
20-03-13, 11:51
could you have changed the remote code while using a previous build?
maybe try resetting it.

remote control is working fine, i have no problem with it.

roy0110
02-09-13, 08:39
bringing this back up as i have noticed another difference between the two uno's.

my second box that restarts fine works like this
box performs update, display shows starting.....
box goes off
comes back on with starting on display
vu+ uno on display
booting on display
bunch of numbers counting up to 99 ( happens so fast cant recall all the numbers)
openvix splashscreen then the channels come on.

on the suspect box
after update the sticks with starting.... in the display
i manually switch it off, wait a few seconds and switch back on
display shows starting
display shows vu+ uno and a red LED (it has always done this, just never noticed that it was a difference between the two boxes)
display shows booting
bunch of numbers counting up to 99 ( happens so fast cant recall all the numbers)

i read somewhere the red LED could be a sign of failing capacitors but it has done this from new.

dondadda
19-11-13, 16:35
bringing this back up as i have noticed another difference between the two uno's.

my second box that restarts fine works like this
box performs update, display shows starting.....
box goes off
comes back on with starting on display
vu+ uno on display
booting on display

on the suspect box
after update the sticks with starting.... in the display
i manually switch it off, wait a few seconds and switch back on
display shows starting
display shows vu+ uno and a red LED (it has always done this, just never noticed that it was a difference between the two boxes)
display shows booting

i read somewhere the red LED could be a sign of failing capacitors but it has done this from new.

Sorry to jump on this thread, however I have exactly the same problem. I have 4 Uno's all from the sponsor and only one is doing the same thing...red led etc .

i occasionally have to leave it turned off for 10mins or so before it will properly reboot and go through the cycle. i also read it being linked to power supply or capacitors.
quite fustrating really as i am unable to reboot the box from the remote or menus also causes problems when updating images ans the box will try and restart itself and fail.
any help would be appreciated.

Burnham
19-11-13, 17:35
You have opened another thread - it is best to stick to just one thread.

It seems to me you were given good advice on that thread. When you go from old images to a current image you can't copy over settings from before. You should set everything up from scratch again.

dondadda
19-11-13, 18:06
You have opened another thread - it is best to stick to just one thread.

It seems to me you were given good advice on that thread. When you go from old images to a current image you can't copy over settings from before. You should set everything up from scratch again.

Thanks Burnham - will stick to the one thread in future:thumbsup:

Larry-G
19-11-13, 18:26
Also if you have the ability to generate a rs232 serial log ( otherwise known as a bootlog ) this may help us to find out whats going wrong with your receiver at bootup.

Ironman
12-02-16, 20:09
Hi. I have a vu + uno. What happened was I recorded a programme as it was finishing just so I could have the option of recording future episodes. The next day I looked and the same Chanel had been recording all night. I wenr to delete this recording of about 1450 minutes and the box froze. I tried to reboot but on start the openvix world of satelite screen came on then switched to a black screen with VIX in the top left corner then back to openvix then the black screen and so on. This is all it does. Can anyone help. Thanks. Ironman